New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

TwinJim
Modern Socialite

Postby TwinJim » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:44 pm

We had the HO scale. None of the trains or layouts are left. The matchstick building models I built are all that remain. Bought the trains, grass, trees, minature citizens at , "TOY TOWN" in Rosemead, CA. Razed just a few years ago. Does anyone remember that mecca for train fans? A friend has the N gauge trains. Think of HO as postcard collecting and N gauge as stamp collecting. Pretty cool to have a Dad interested in model trains. I think my Dad just came into the garage bedroom conversion to shake his head in bemusement at the latest project.

darlene drissel
Modern Groupie

Mellinthin Home

Postby darlene drissel » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:32 am

Hello,

I am researching information re: Mellinthin Homes. Please e-mail to me the names of books or resources where I can get more information/pictures.

Thank you!

L.A.kevin
Special Secret Modern Agent

Mount Washington, Los Angeles, newbie here!

Postby L.A.kevin » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:16 pm

Hello,

My name is Kevin, and my wife and I just bought a 1953 house in Mt. Washington. It's sorta modern, and the perfect place for our motorcycle collection. I've always been into modernism, and art. I work in the aerospace industry, and appreciate good form follows function design.

I've been lurking here for months, and thought I'd sign up.

Kev

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:58 pm

welcome to all our new members!

L.A. Kev - hope we get to see pics of your new place!

darlene - try posting your question under our residential forum as a new topic. you might get the information you are looking for there...

Impudent Brat - hope you can help fill in information about orange county and d-land history when we get questions there.

Modball70 - if you're into tiki - then hope you also check out tiki central.

and to all our other newcommers - remember message boards depend on your participation and postings to make hem interesting and fun for you and everyone.

JAB

Postby JAB » Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:23 pm

Kev, were you and your wife featured on HGTV?

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:37 am

JB modwanna etc...

Nope... not us, we're just lowly plebians. 8)

Kev

JAB

Postby JAB » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:06 am

Kev, If you don't mind my asking, what's your motorcycle collection like? What type etc...?

L.A.kevin

Postby L.A.kevin » Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:59 am

We've got Guzzis and Ducatis, as well as dual sport bikes. I have an MZ motard bike.

I used to be into older stuff, but since I'm going to graduate school, I sold all that stuff off and got all newer, more reliable stuff. My oldest bike right now is a 1980 Guzzi LeMans.

Kev

JAB

Postby JAB » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:17 am

Very cool. The next town over from me where I grew up in CT had a dealer who sold both Guzzis and Ducs.

JonE
Modern Groupie

Hi

Postby JonE » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:36 am

Hi, I'm English and have to live in the wet cold climate of the North West. Lotta Livin gives me a glimpse of the sunny golden California I grew up watching on TV until my next trip in the spring. It's great to know there are others sharing my love of retro/Tiki/Americana - call it what you will! Any advice on great places to visit is always welcome ( and things to avoid!).

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:27 am

Hi Jon! seems like you have some cool decent mid century modern over there in your home country. When we visited last winter - we had drinks at the Trader Vics there with friends from Tiki Central!

anyway... a big welcome to you - please keep s up to date on the finds you find on the East coast. We'd like to hear more about what's going on there...

tikidiablo
Modern Groupie

Postby tikidiablo » Thu Dec 18, 2003 11:57 pm

Hello folks, I am saying hello to all here on LL. I'm a tiki artist and general all around nice guy. I kind a feel like I am crashing a party here, but the best way I know how to do things is just jump right in. I collect some tiki stuff, and have always loved modern things and that old style of design in art and print ads. This modern style has sort of influenced my tiki work too. I'll post some pics in the collecting forum.

Primo Kimo
Modern Groupie

Postby Primo Kimo » Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:53 am

Hola Friends! I just made my way over from Tiki Central. Nice forum here too.

Swanky_Tiki
Modern Groupie

New here

Postby Swanky_Tiki » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:40 am

Hi! :) I found this place via Tiki Central. I've loved tiki stuff for ever and my husband and I love modern furniture and architecture. We are a Navy family, currently in FL but on our way to King's Bay, GA before too long. I am looking forward to reading the posts here!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:23 pm

Hi primo kimo and swanky!

Hope you will post as well as read... cause we need more folks to chatter here. I get kinda lonely on this board sometimes :(
Everybody should feel free to jump in and make this as friendly a place as T.C.

Welcome aboard!

MikeIkeler
Modern Groupie

Postby MikeIkeler » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:31 am

hi everyone-

my name is mike and i'm a grad student in norcal. i'm a lover of all things modern. i'm also a automotive aficionado (ie; rare exotics, italian, toyota 2000gt, etc.). i'm currently writing my thesis about the built environment of capitol park...woohoo! i currently work as an intern in historic preservation.

BigTomato
Modern Groupie

Oooooops! I guess I was supposed to say "Hi" here

Postby BigTomato » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:53 am

Oooooops! I guess I was supposed to say "Hi" here first. Sorry about that, folks! (Everyone on the board seems pretty forgiving, so I'm thanking you in advance as they say.)
Well, anyway, I'm a big mid-century modern fan with a special interest in signs and graphics. I'm also the dude in charge of the World's Largest Catsup Bottle. Yes, it's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!

Big Tomato Mike
Big Tomato Mike
World's Largest Catsup Bottle Central Command
bigtomato@catsupbottle.com
www.catsupbottle.com
www.catsupbottlesummerfest.com

whitespike
Modern Socialite

oops

Postby whitespike » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:30 am

Hi. I am new and was supposed to post here first, but I posted my own topic so forgive me!
the-way-it-should-be-ness

Neonmuseum
Modern Groupie

Preservation in Las Vegas!

Postby Neonmuseum » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:08 am

Hello-

Just wanted to introduce myself to this group. In reponse to recent postings, the La Concha sign will have a safe home with our nonprofit organization, The Neon Museum. www.neonmuseum.org. We have over 100 historic signs from buildings that have been redeisgned and/or demolished and are currently raising money to build a museum downtown.

Rest assured there is a very active preservation and museum movement in Las Vegas that has tremendous public and corporate support. Due to our efforts the owners and developers now know to "call the sign museum" before changes occur and they often fund the removal and transport of the signs for us.

Our approach is to form partnerships in which all can benefit rather then pitting "new vs. old". This city was built and will survive through its own reinvention, but there is also room for preservation and we seek to find the best way for both to coexist!

The media may not always choose to focus on it, and those of us involved are often so busy keeping up with the rapidly changing landscape we don't the get the messages out ourselves.

I hope groups such as this will help us focus on and publicize the positive work that is accomplished every day in our city. More importantly that you will also choose one of our organizations to support with volunteer time and monetary support to help us continue!

Warm regards-
Las Vegas, NV
Sandra L. Harris
Executive Director
The Neon Museum
Las Vegas, NV

Suburban Savage
Modern Groupie

Postby Suburban Savage » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:19 am

Yet another TC crossover here(badmojo). Looks like I'll be wasting even more time online, instead of being out and about, looking for employment. :wink:
Last edited by Suburban Savage on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

googieagog
Modern Master

preservation in Las Vegas

Postby googieagog » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:16 pm

It's great that the Neon Museum is keeping period signs out of the crusher (or out of the hands of overseas private collectors). But calling this "preservation" is like calling a stuffed and mounted dodo bird "conservation." Killer signs should be left in their natural habitats or they will become extinct. Donation to a museum should be the last resort, not an easy out for developers trying to pretend they are preservationists.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:34 pm

woo hoooo TC is in da house
i gotta make a little smiley face tiki emoticon...

talkinghand
Modern Groupie

Thank you for inviting me here.

Postby talkinghand » Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:58 pm

I'm a big Googie - Tiki fan!

We have a little bit of Googie left here in Bakersfield, CA -- but it's in severe disrepair and disappearing fast!

Eddie Ruff

T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite

New member from Canada

Postby T.O. MidMod » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:21 am

Hi from Toronto Ontario Canada,

Just joined up and wanted to introduce myself. I'm 35 and an audio engineer for a big radio station. I also write freelance about midcentury architecture for Canada's biggest coast-to-coast newspaper, The Globe and Mail. And yes, we do have a fair bit of modernism up here, with office towers by Mies van der Rohe, Edward Durrell Stone, I.M. Pei and some local outfits. As for residential, while we don't have entire neighbourhoods like Eichlers, we do have a few "progressive" ones like Don Mills and the odd really cool low-slung California swagger-y styled ranch peppered here and there in the better 50's subdivisions...which my wife and I are keeping track of, since we want to move out of our 1958 rental in the next few years into our "dreamhome" that we can restore to its original splendor.

We are avid (or should I say rabid) collectors of modern furniture and have pieces by George Nelson, Eames, Bertoia and some famous Canadian furniture designers too. Our weekends are usually spent hunting at Value Villages (called Savers in the US I think) or Goodwills or antique markets.

While we may not look too retro by our appearance, we do drive a 1962 Mercury Monterey in the summer and a 2003 Mini Cooper in the winter. And we don't just like the architecture and furniture design of the era, either. We love the graphics, the fonts and the lifestyle of the post war period too. Sometimes we eat at a restaurant just because it's got a cool vintage neon sign!

My wife is an interior designer who works for a small firm that does mostly cafes, retail stores and food courts but it's her dream to one day go into business for herself.

We just got married in October and had our wedding reception at a bowling alley to make sure we had "instant decor" and to make for fun pictures. Our honeymoon was as follows: flew into LAX and immediately went to eat at Encounters (we'd only seen it in pictures), got our rental convertible Mustang and drove to Palm Springs to stay at the Orbit In for 2 nights (and made sure we got the PS Mod map and did a self-tour of some of the architectural highlights) then it was off to Vegas for 6 nights. I'd been twice before but it was my wife's first time. We stayed at the Sahara for that old-school Rat Pack charm and had a blast looking for vestiges of the old Vegas (and admired La Concha for perhaps the last time). We also checked out Taboo Cove since we're both Tiki-Heads, too.

In fact, we write for a small fanzine that comes out of Montreal, Quebec (5 hours drive from Toronto) that deals with all things tiki called Mai Tai. My good friend puts it out and believe it or not, the Montreal area still has 3 - 4 really good tiki bar/restaurants worth visiting while Toronto has none left over from the old days. If anyone is interested in back-issues, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the publisher/editor John.

That's about it. I'm not sure how much I can post here since my writing takes up a great deal of my free time but I do promise to "lurk" often and post when I have something relevant to say. Nice to meet you all, by the way...and thanks for the great forum!

liz conant
Modern Groupie

greetings - i'm new

Postby liz conant » Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:36 pm

Thought I was alone in the world! I am not! My husband and I live in a 50s home surrounded by turn of the century houses. We are misunderstood. We stop the car and take photos of modern buildings everywhere and our hearts break so when we see them razed.
We're in Evanston, Il and would love to know of others like us in our area -
are you out there? I'm so happy to know about this site!
Elizabeth

NancyF
Modern Groupie

Postby NancyF » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:34 am

I'm Nancy, a regular gal with an interest in modern design. My husband and I are in the process of moving back to Bartlesville, Oklahoma, where I grew up and we are hunting for a modern house. This search has lead to my posts on the subject of modern houses and things modern in the Bartlesville area. When I get there I intend to get involved with the Art Center in the FLW Price Tower and perhaps start a modern house owners group, assuming I can get my hands on one :P . After I get there I'll help with the gallery - remind me.
-NancyF

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Re: New member from Canada

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:16 am

Cherry Capri
Modern Socialite

Postby Cherry Capri » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:03 am

Well Hi everyone! I'm Mary-Margaret's cousin and she has been bugging me to sign up for months and I'm finally doing it. I've been lurking here forever ;)

Anyway, I think I have been cajoled into attending the Rock Paper Scissors event this coming weekend, so maybe I'll see some Lotta Living or Modcom folks there?

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:05 pm

Hi Cherry! Are you gonna post images of your more modern, less some-other-style paintings here? Your Palm Springs Matchbook painting'll fit in beautifully.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:57 pm

Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”