New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

roguespy007
Modern Groupie

Postby roguespy007 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:07 am

Hey Giancarlo and Erika,

I thought I would say hello. I'm a newcomer to this board myself. I posted the intro right before you two. Welcome here. Take care.

Sincerely,
Keith

Astatic
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New! Just wanted to say Hi

Postby Astatic » Wed May 02, 2007 11:42 am

Aloha! Never had much to say before, but I have been lurking. Decided to join and post since I'm looking for some info about radio restorations-- I'm the proud owner of a new (to me) console stereo with record player that needs a little work. Off to search and see what I can find!

ViciousChick
Modern Socialite

Hello :)

Postby ViciousChick » Wed May 16, 2007 5:56 pm

Jed
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

New at Lotta Livin

Postby Jed » Thu May 31, 2007 12:44 pm

Hello,

I have seen and admired your message board in the past and now I am a member. I am 26 years old and I have always loved mid century modern. When I was growing up, my parents were avid antique collectors and decorated in the Arts and Crafts style. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents, who were mid-century all the way. I have fond memories of sitting with my grandparents at their Aqua colored Burke dinette set, or eating at the Heywood Wakefield dining room table. TV and movies shaped my love of the 50's-60's styles. I particularly love the fictional house in North by Nothwest and the John Lautner designed Elrod house in Diamonds are Forever. One of my favorite buildings of all time is the Saarinen designed TWA terminal at JFK Airport, which I was chased out of after taking some pictures of.

I am also a big car fanatic. My favorites are the cars of the 50's-70's. My favorite classic is the suicide door Lincoln Continental. This is a Mid-Century Modern car if there ever was one. I own 1969 Continental, which I have been slowly restoring for about 6 years.

I recently purchased my first house. It is a Ranch from 1960. Unfortunately, there aren't many Modern style houses in the New York Metro area and none that were in my price range, so I got one that is a typical suburban tract-style. The exterior was redone in gray vinyl with shutters, while the interior, with the exception of the 80's ugly country look bathroom is original, with some cool mod details like a mirrored wall in the living room and a panelled kitchen with original cabinets. I am presently remodeling it in a mid-century theme.

That's my story

Thanks,

Jed

Retro Attic
Modern Groupie

Postby Retro Attic » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:38 am

Hello, I have an online vintage shop at http://www.retroattic.ecrater.com/ I love anything from the 50's- 70's but mod style is my favorite! I'm moving soon and I'm hoping I can find a mid-century mod home!

CAsch
Modern Groupie

Postby CAsch » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi, I have been lurking here for the past few days and thought I would join the discussions. I currently live in a condo, but my wife and I are selling it and we found a 1960 house that we really like. The house isn't a beautiful MCM, but it is cool and old and we look forward to hopefully getting to work on it.

jhonka
Modern Groupie

Postby jhonka » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:41 pm

I have been lurking around here for a few months now.

I love mcm furniture, design and fabric and I'm learning a lot more about it from this website.

markjudep
Modern Master

hello

Postby markjudep » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:57 pm

Mark here, currently living in Manhattan but soon to be living in the bucolic town of Weston, Connecticut in a great MCM.

I'm a fiction writer. Buy my books so I can afford the mortgage payments: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/10 ... .y=0&Go=Go.

I'm also a screenwriter. See my movie so I can afford a terrazo floor in the kitchen: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0858479/

This is a great website. Thanks.

Toxicgrin
Modern Groupie

Postby Toxicgrin » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:21 pm

Marc Hoffman
Modern Groupie

Mid-century in NC

Postby Marc Hoffman » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:55 pm

Hello,

My wife and I have recently purchased and begun to restore a MCM home (1956) in central NC. We learned from the builder that the house was designed by an architect from S. California, but that is all the information we have to go on. The house is in pretty good shape for its age and we are delighted to have found it, but would like to know more about its origins. Is there an historian who would perhaps recognize the architect or at least the design school from a photograph?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Regards,

Marc Hoffman
Accomplish

tikitrevor
Modern Groupie

Postby tikitrevor » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:12 am

Hello All! I'm a newbie here. A quick background on me. I just moved to Portland, OR 6 months ago from Anaheim/La Habra, CA. I've been collecting vintage furniture and tiki for ~10 years now. Once I moved to Portland, I wanted to get more involved in the MCM community, so I joined the Atomic Age Alliance - Portland Chapter. I am also a member to Tiki Central (under the same name).

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:00 am

[quote="tikitrevor"]I just moved to Portland, OR 6 months ago...[/quote]

I adore Portland! I hope you're enjoying your Bagdad Theater, the Doug Fir, Powell's Books and the Alibi!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:00 pm

good job tikitrevor, I am sure I'll meet you soon

Joe

kpiperj
Modern Groupie

nother newbie...

Postby kpiperj » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:16 pm

tikigreg
Modern Groupie

Postby tikigreg » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:46 pm

Hi, I've been an infrequent visitor, but decided to join up. I own a 1950's ranch in CT, done up mid-century atomic, with a basement tiki bar. Hope to learn more! Mahalo!

AJ Fisher
Modern Master

Hello Neighbors

Postby AJ Fisher » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:14 pm

-Eugene, Oregon. My name is AJ Fisher. I have been interested in modern design my whole life. My grandparents owned a furniture store and their interest in design rubbed off. I am a 1996 graduate of the University of Oregon (Go Ducks!). I studied bronze casting and figure studies. I work as a metal fabricator/welder to pay the bills, but am also an artist.

* I design and build original, modern sculpture. I also make custom furniture. Here is my art website:

http://www.ajfisherdesign.com -or-

http://www.erganic.com

* Recently, I started a new website as a resource for modern design enthusiasts here in Eugene, Springfield and Lane County in Oregon. Eugene is located at the southern end of the Willamette Valley. The website is still under development:

http://www.eugenemodern.org

* If you are interested in Googie architecture, I have posted some photos of a prominent Googie-styled building here in Eugene. The former Joe Romania Chevrolet Dealership property has changed hands in recent years. The future of this wonderful mid century structure is uncertain. Here is the webpage:

http://www.eugenemodern.org/romania

* I am involved in the restoration of a modern, ranch house here in Eugene; part of a mid century development named Ellendale (original phase 1955). I have been researching the history of Ellendale and have created a page on the eugenemodern.org site devoted to these unique, mid century modern ranch homes:

http://www.eugenemodern.org/ellendale

* Finally, I also collect mid century furniture and design objects. I've been really fortunate in finding some wonderful modern furniture at the local thrift stores. I cannot believe what some people give away! I found this Greta Grossman 6-drawer dresser at Goodwill for $4.99:

I am looking forward to meeting other modern design enthusiasts here at Lotta Lovin'.

-AJ
Last edited by AJ Fisher on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:08 am, edited 8 times in total.

62P&K
Modern Master

New Guy in Las Vegas

Postby 62P&K » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:42 am

Jennie and Zane

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:34 pm

tracyking
Modern Groupie

Greetings

Postby tracyking » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:39 am

HI,
I am a Realtor in Northeast Los Angeles. Seven years ago I moved from a Craftsman to a 1958 Modern and my love affair with modern architecture began. As my slogan says, I like to work with interesting homes of all kinds with interesting people. I've been mentioned in this website in the past and thought it was time to join in the fun.
Tracy King, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
Interesting Homes for Interesting People in the Northeast Los Angeles, San Gabriel Valley communities
www.TracyKing.com
626-844-2256

angelhash
Modern Groupie

hello...

Postby angelhash » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:15 pm

Heya... I just want to say Hi. My husband and I are in the process of buying our first house, it's a MCM ranch in Cincinnati, Ohio.

I was curious actually to see if anyone else out there is from this area??

<3 Leah

modbon57
Modern Groupie

Greetings from Mod Maryland

Postby modbon57 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:19 am

Hi--just a quick intro. I've been reading this board off and on for a couple of years, so decided to plunge into the kidney-shaped pool.

My name is Bonnie and I was born in Portland, but grew up in San Francisco and Marin, in the SF Bay Area. I currently live in Bowie, MD, in a subdivision built by Levitt (first project after Levittown, I think). My house is not modern (which makes me cry, wah), but it's decorated with vintage modernist STUFF (my motto is You Can ever Have Enough STUFF).

I collect mid-century modern pottery and dishware, and have been for about ten years or more. I used to buy and sell vintage modern housewares in Sebastopol, CA, but now I am retired.

Looking forward to reading everything and catching up!

Mr. Modtomic
Modern Socialite

Hello everybody

Postby Mr. Modtomic » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:29 pm

I'm newly registered but have been "lurking" this message board for a while. I'm more Mid-Century than Mid-Century-Modern but I think I'll fit in some how. I'm 37, Male, from St. Louis Mo., and am in the middle of "Retro"fitting my lil' bungalow. I'm also into vintage threads and Tiki stuff. I hope to one day have a nice '40s or '50s daily driver and perhaps a cool fiberglass boat with tailfins!

Skylark
Modern Socialite

Hello All

Postby Skylark » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:29 pm

My name is Hillary. I just recently found this great site and decided I had to join! My husband and I share a strong affinity for vintage 20th century Americana, specifically the 1950's and 1960's.

We live in a 1956 brick ranch house (not modern, but plenty cozy with a Philco Predicta here and there), and enjoy taking trips in the old convertible to one of the few remaining local drive-ins for dinner.

Among my passions is stereo photography. I shoot 3D slides with a Stereo Realist and collect vintage stereo slides. Sometimes it's the only way to preserve and/or revisit a given time and place. My husband is into vintage cars and electronics, which I greatly enjoy as well. In addition, we share an interest in film collecting.

I've already learned much from lurking around here, and hopefully will be able to contribute something from time to time.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:23 pm

sotresphotography
Modern Groupie

Hello!

Postby sotresphotography » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:36 am

Good morning! Just signed up...Hello from The Sotres'.
Truly enjoy reading about the wonderful mid century modern homes for sale. Actually my husband and I are seeking a home in this category, hopefully close to Los Angeles, CA.....
Have a great day!
Thanks
Sherry & Craig
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!!"

CanadianViking
Modern Fan

Postby CanadianViking » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:26 pm

Hello!

I've been lurking for awhile and I thought it was time to make my introduction.

My wife and I recently (July 2007) purchased a 1958 Bungalow in our home town of Calgary, Alberta Canada. We had a connection to this house as it was originally built by my father (who was a custom home builder in the 1950s and 60s).

As soon as we saw the house we knew that we wanted to renovate with a strong MCM influence (in essence, bring the house back to its former glory).

Before finding lottingliving.com we were struggling to find information/ideas/resources on MCM (heck, just learning the term "mid century modern" opened us up to a ton of information online).

We are looking forward to becoming part of the community here at lottaliving.com.

Cheers,

Thomas & Juanita

Jedison
Modern Groupie

New

Postby Jedison » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:34 pm

Jedison

Retrogal
Modern Groupie

Postby Retrogal » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi guys! Long time lurker, and decided to join the fun. I'm from Garner, NC. Small town...but getting bigger. Can't get enough of anything MCM.

My house was built in 1959, but it's just a simple ranch. I'm working on it slowly and have big ambitions for it. :D
“If you drink don't drive. Don't even putt.” - Dean Martin

Kitty
Modern Groupie

hello

Postby Kitty » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:22 pm

I have been reading this fantastic site for awhile, Chris encouraged me to join so I could post a house I know of for sale in Iowa--check it out, and thanks for the hours of entertainment! I will contribute what I can--

amills2
Modern Groupie

Hello!

Postby amills2 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Hi, all! Glad to be a part of the board. I've been a pretty (actually, very) infrequent (unregistered) visitor here, but now that I'm a member I'd like to ask for advice from any and all members who'd like to give it... but I'll do that in another thread!

Anyways, I love mid-century design, and can't wait to hear from everyone!

- Alex

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”