New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

SkipHome
Modern Master

/si!

Postby SkipHome » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:22 pm

Chairman
Modern Groupie

Dooby-dooby-doo!

Postby Chairman » Thu Jun 24, 2004 3:34 pm

acon
Modern Groupie

hello I am new

Postby acon » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:11 pm

annie
Modern Fan

Postby annie » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:03 am

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Hi

Postby roadsidepictures » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:23 pm

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:23 pm

Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Greetings...

Postby Satan's Sin » Sun Jul 04, 2004 7:39 am

Hello. Came to this site via Tiki Central, and I think it's wonderful. Can't wait to get acquainted with everyone.

Carpe Modern
Modern Groupie

Salutations

Postby Carpe Modern » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:23 pm

I'm a new poster here...call me Mike. I've enjoyed thumbing through a number of the discussions on the site. Great resource! I'm looking forward to being a regular visitor.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:56 am

welcome satan's sin

and carpe modern too!... great to have new non-southern california members here.. hope we hear lots more about modern outside of cali!!!

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:52 am

Hey! What's wrong with So Cal?

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:59 am

Satan's Sin, I must be a little slow, I've only just noticed that you're from the South Bay! :D We're always glad to find Modern fans down here in the bottom left corner, it's just that so many seem to be from West Side LA & the San Fernando Valley... There's alot of Mid-Cen Modern in the Midwest & East Coast, but it doesn't get as much coverage as what you find in LA & OC.

Is there much Modern architecture, signage, etc. in & around IB? There's some in Poway, mostly on the East end of town, and I'm planning to document it as soon as I find some more info about who built it.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

Carpe Modern
Modern Groupie

Postby Carpe Modern » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:47 am

I'm fairly new to AZ. Phoenix has quite a few of generic mid-century homes and a handful of "sawheeet" ones by the architect Al Beadle. Alas, I live in Tucson and the pickin's are slim.

Check out this Beadle link:

http://www.candidlandscapes.com/nofes/s ... cture.html

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Postby Satan's Sin » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:52 am

Yes, Freddie --

There are some apt. bldgs here that fit in this category -- some even with wrought-iron starburst designs on the exterior, one even has a light bulb behind it --

there's even a Polynesian hotel down here -- the bldg is from the 70s I think, but has been tricked up with tikis and there are even two gas-fired torches out front --

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:29 am

Carpe - this is a great site for Pheonix:

http://www.pixelpixie.net/modernphoenix/
Greg

Carpe Modern
Modern Groupie

Postby Carpe Modern » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:40 am

Great site lavardera. Thanks.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:46 am

Carpe Modern: the south part of tucson has several tracts of mid-century modern homes (near Escalente and the air museum). Several thousand post and beam homes with low-pitch/flat roofs, car ports, glass walls. I bet you could find a nice fixer and restore it a bit.

Architecture note: Jones & Emmons (of Eichler and SoCal fame) had some of their home designs for Pardee-Phillip built in Tucson in the m-50s. Nice modern gems. California architect Cliff May also had some of his mcm tract homes built in Tucson. I don't have locations, though. Mays homes look like these...

http://www.kramerproperties.com/photos.htm

Cliff May homes in Tucson used brick exterior in some cases and also came with AC.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:26 pm

Carpe Modern
Modern Groupie

Postby Carpe Modern » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:55 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:10 am

My parents live in Tucson, off Escalente, and I can't wait to get back down there to do some searching my self. Heading towards town on one of those big, fast boulevards, it seemed like there were miles of 50s modern tracts. LOTS of potential.

If you see cool stuff, snap some photos!

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby modfan » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:53 pm

Tikifrog
Modern Socialite

Postby Tikifrog » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:53 am

Tolovana
Modern Fan

Postby Tolovana » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:04 pm

I've been lurking here for a long time. I collect 50's and 60's home & garden magazines (Like Sunset & House Beautiful) along with woodworking books and magazines from the same years. I also love Tiki / Luau kitsch, and the Rat Pack.

We just recently purchased a new-to-us home. It's a Ranch, but an odd-ball ranch The 'virtual tour' loads slowly. These pics were taken before we bought the house. I'm hoping to put it back into it's late 1950's state, at least as much as possible.

I'm sure I'll be around a bit, asking dumb questions about stripping paint and restoring things that have been 'updated' in the 90's.

This site is a great resource!

Tolovana

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:06 am

Welcome Tolovana!

I live in Eugene. You are in the right place to enjoy 50s-60s Modern-ranch-tiki-etc! I am restoring a 1955 home by architect Cliff May. My neighborhood has 38 other Cliff May homes, a William Wurster house, and lots of custom 50s modern and tradtitional ranch homes. Mine was a bank repo with a few bad remodels. I am finishing up the exterior and hope to start on the inside in a couple weeks...

www.barthlow.com/beforeafter

I also have a huge collection of House & Home magazines (residential trade magazines from 1950s-60s) and a few BH&G, Sunset, HB. Most will find there way to eBay this Summer.

Also, read my stories on Rummer homes in Portland at www.portlandmodern.com

Hey, I checked out your house, cool! It looks like it has great potential. Check with the city/county for who the architect was.

tiki mo fo
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby tiki mo fo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:32 pm

Hi,

Well, yes I have a stack of match books and they were so inviting so here I am. I am also in a pic from Viva Las Wages. However, I am in the blue shirt with Tiki Bob writen below my pic, which should be Tiki Mo Fo..... I recentally posted about some Palm Springs home styles. I am about 30 days out from my new home, but today while meeting with the builder we discused the plans for my next home. It may be sooner then later since I have a house full of retro-mod, and my new home is Santa Fe. I know that Matt Helm pulled it off, but my stuff is more space aged. If anyone can help with Ideas I would be grateful.

Tiki Mo Fo (Jay)

hanna1
Modern Fan

Chris Choate & cliff May

Postby hanna1 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:11 pm

Hi, I was just looking up Chris Choate and cliff May and found this site, We are in the process of revamping our Eichler wanna be, a 1954 redwood Cliff May in Northern California, I love modern architecture and am always looking for furniture, colors of the era, landscaping ideas, etc., I admire the work of Frank LLoyd Wright, Eichler, Baldwyn and others. In taking down our short kitchen wall we discoved a piece of Redwood that bore the stamping of: Pending Patent - Cliff May - Chris Choate, I felt as excited as if I had found a hidden treasure in an old historic home.
Yours in the Garden

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:55 am

That is very interesting! Can you post a photo of the stamp? What sort of piece of wood was this? A tongue and groove panel? or something else? Was it the shaping of the wood that was patented, or was it the house?
Greg

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:59 am

Welcome hanna1!

You did uncover a treasure. Cliff May was one of the most popular architects of the 20th century. What you have is one of his tract homes which was featured on 7 magazine covers from 1951-53.

Eichler-wanna be, not hardly. Cliff May sold his homes as kits to builders. His designs emerged simultaneously with Anshen and Allen and Jones and Emmons (Eichler architects). Cliff May was also a good friend of FLLW. Many Usonion ideas are found in May's homes.

Chris Choate was a Modernist who assisted May from the late 40s through the late 50s, before moving to set design in Hollywood and teaching illustration at UCLA. He is credited as co-designer of the tract homes. Choate was also heavily influenced by Japanese design (as A. Quincy Jones was for Eichler). That evidence is visible in the design.

I am restoring one from 1955 in Oregon. Here's my progress...
http://www.barthlow.com/beforeafter/
We are almost finished with the exterior and will be moving to the interior in a couple weeks. Even though it's a Cliff May, the Eichler Network has been useful. So has eBay. Lotta Living is great for chat and to see others stuff.

Long Beach realtor Doug Kramer specializes in Cliff May homes and has started a site. The gallery should look familiar to you
www.kramerproperties.com

Much has been published on Cliff May.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

Though, not much has been published on his tract homes

Atomic Ranch Magazine will showcase some LA May homes this fall or winter www.atomic-ranch.com

But this fall, The Ranch House by Alan Hess will detail much of the Cliff May tract home. It should be a good read.

Please post any pics of your home (or email to me). I heard there was a tract in the East Bay near Oakland. How far are you from the Castro Valley Eichlers?

Lav: Cliff May had a problem with builders stealing his designs, so he patented his prefab process and his panels (see stamp here: http://www.barthlow.com/beforeafter/ )
Last edited by Joe on Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:38 am

I see - so it was the panalization of the homes as a "kit" that was the patent issue. That makes perfect sense.

Joe, you really need to expand your coverage of your renovations - everytime I look at that I'm left wanting for more. :)
Greg

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:03 am

Lav: yes, yes. It's the whole cart before the horse deal. I am planning on major updates, either monthly or every two weeks. I will also add a little design to it. I was thinking about the blog idea, but couldn't figure out the software. for now, I am just throwing stuff up on the fly!

Between posting on boards, working on my house, eating-sleeping, oh–and doing billable work, the Saving Cliff May saga will lag a bit ; )
Last edited by Joe on Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:25 am

I understand. There is always the free blogging tools via your livemodern account. Nothing really to figure out if you want to give it a shot.
Greg

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”