New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

myhistoricla
Modern Groupie

Hello All!

Postby myhistoricla » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:05 am

Hello All!

My name is Robby Aranguren and I just wanted to say Hello to you all! The City of Los Angeles is trying to identify the potential historic resources in your area!

The success of SurveyLA depends largely on community input. Do you know of any significant historic resources in your neighborhood that should be included in SurveyLA? The City would like to invite you help us identify the “hidden gems” that make your community special.

The field surveys began in 2010 and will continue over a period of years. While the City is still gathering information on communities citywide, our efforts are now focused on the following geographic areas, where surveys will begin in 2012:

Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Toluca Lake, Cahuenga Pass, North Hollywood, Valley Village, Canoga Park, West Hills, Winnetka, Woodland Hills, Encino, Tarzana, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Bel Air, Beverly Crest, Westchester, Playa del Rey, Arleta, Pacoima, Mission Hills, Panorama City, North Hills, Silverlake, Echo Park, Elysian Valley, Westlake

I would appreciate any help you could offer me! I hope everyone has a great day!

Thanks!

lowered couch
Modern Fan

Postby lowered couch » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:55 am

hello all from whittier, CA :D

my name is andy and my wife's name is lyhen. we bought our first mcm home, as well as our very first home about a year and a half ago. it took a while to find a home with as many unique mcm details as possible within our budget. we ended up with a pretty cool pad in whittier, CA which is part of los angeles. we are fairly new to being full on mcm die hards, my story is pretty much the same as many. i always knew about it but didn't really catch on until i was inside a really awesome cliff may and then it finally sunk all the way in. i've always been a fan of cool architecture and so on so it was a natural progression. so ever since that day with the cliff may i knew i had to have my own mcm house.

it's a cool cinderblock house with nice windows and some clearstory glass...etc. and i've been doing little projects here and there making it pretty cool and soon hopefully we can afford to do some real damage :wink:

anyway, i'm happy i finally sat my ass down and signed up for the site and say hello. hopefully we can connect with some fellow mcm'ers in our area! :cheers:

Milkman
Modern Groupie

Hello from the East Coast

Postby Milkman » Mon May 16, 2011 8:29 am

I am checking in from Corning, NY a small town made famous by Corning Glass Works who made the glass for Thomas Edison's light bulbs, Corelle dishes and now the glass in your flat panel LCD TV's.

We were luckily enough to find a great MCM 1955 tri-level with a widely overgrown yard and a 1980's interior. We are planning to try and restore the home and yard to a more original feel with modern amenities.

I'm sure I will have a lot of questions in the future but the search is answering them so far.

Here's a link to our blog where we'll be capturing our renovations.

http://atomiccorning.blogspot.com/

Vintage Motel Guest
Modern Groupie

Howdy... again.

Postby Vintage Motel Guest » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi all. Just "re-enlisted" in ModCom Forum as I couldn't get in with my old membership registration. I frequent this site only seldomly because if I come too often I'll never leave! Gotta earn a living and all that...

A heads up if anyone read this on time about the Southwest Museum, as tomorrow may be their last chance. They need letters to the City Council and their link is here: http://www.friendsofthesouthwestmuseum.com/motion.html

ncholt
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby ncholt » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:38 am

I grew up in a brick ranch built in 1952. We now have a home in a building built in Pasadena, CA in 1960 which feels like my childhood home. I read about the Valley Tour and would like to drive around Balboa Highlands to see the Eichler homes. I also read, sadly, the touring guide produced the Los Angeles Conservancy is out of print. Can anyone help?

Comickoz
Modern Groupie

HOWDY! GLAD TO BE HERE!

Postby Comickoz » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:07 pm

Hey everyone!
I'm arts editor at Pasadena Weekly, and an insatiable explorer of the City of Angels - big fan of Esotouric and Chris Nichols' fine work as well as Charles Phoenix!
Would love to know about tours of LA, ways to check out odd spots, and to meet anyone with a spirit of spontaneity and adventure for urban gallivanting!
Carl Kozlowski
Comickoz@aol.com
Listen to more than 125 episodes of my hilarious web-radio show,featuring more than 250 of America's top comics, filmmakers, writers, and media figures, at www.grandtheftaudioradio.com.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 pm

welcome to our newest pasadena members
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

lorrainelasvegas
Modern Groupie

The Big Labowski Bowling Alley

Postby lorrainelasvegas » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Does any one have a close photo of the the star shape back light neon lighting at the Bowling Alley? Would you post it please. Thanks so much. Lorrainelasvegas

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Re: The Big Labowski Bowling Alley

Postby sky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:12 am

lorrainelasvegas wrote:Does any one have a close photo of the the star shape back light neon lighting at the Bowling Alley? Would you post it please. Thanks so much. Lorrainelasvegas
Over the line!

This is probably not the best place to post your request, llv. But you know I did see some images that might be what you want in a Google images search. But if what you want is just an image capture from the movie, let me know and I can probably scrape that up for you. The Dude abides.

travanx
Modern Groupie

Postby travanx » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:10 am

Saying hello from Downtown LA. Found the site while reading another message board. We are living in one of the newer Lofts in the South Park area of Downtown Los Angeles. And currently searching for a house.

sub7
Modern Groupie

Santa Ana

Postby sub7 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Hello all. Looks like I've been a fan of MCM even before I knew what it was called. I like a mix of old and new when it's done tastefully. This looks like a great board.

My wife and I found a cool little hidden gem in Santa Ana California. A MCM 1500sqft tower with lots of windows and a beautiful open floor plan. I'm always at the thrift store and craig's list scoping out deals.

great site!
Fighting bad design, one layout at a time.

aboutsomeoneelse
Modern Groupie

Postby aboutsomeoneelse » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:06 am

Howdy!

I'm a big fan of historic preservation and especially of MCM architecture, design, and of course ... the lifestyle. I'm an SFV native who grew up in a 1964 Ranch-Style tract home on a cul-de-sac -- classic -- and my wife and I now live in a 1925 Spanish/Mission Revivalish home in Beautiful Altadena.

Justin :cheers:

MarcoMidCenturyHome
Modern Fan

That's a Great Forum!

Postby MarcoMidCenturyHome » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 am

Hi All!

Thanks for having me. I hope to have a lot of fun and learn a lot more about mid century here! :D

Talk soon!

Ciao,

Marco.[/url]
My name is Marco and I'm crazy about mid century modern design and modernist architecture.

I started my blog www.mid-century-home.com to learn more about mid century, share what I learnt and discover even more thanks to other enthusiasts like me! :D

Jinxxie
Modern Fan

Hi and stuff

Postby Jinxxie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:29 am

Hello,

My name is Michelle, I'm newly registered but I've been lurking for a few months. My husband and I recently (finally) closed on our MCM house. We have a lot of work to do and I've enjoyed using the older posts as a reference so far.

Hopefully we can get some good ideas when we hit a stumbling block.

Thanks for the forums.

-Michelle

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:38 am

welcome new members!
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

sotresphotography
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby sotresphotography » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi, I am simply saying hello to everyone. It has been a while since I have visited this website.

I truly enjoy the MCM lifestyle and actually found our Palmer & Krisel house listed on this forum. That was 6 years ago! Love it.

Thanks for creating this site.

Cheers!
Sherry :cheers: :P
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!!"

evqman
Modern Groupie

Postby evqman » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:26 am

hi, newb here.. well, kind of. I had a profile back in 2006. I can't remember the password or what email address I used to have.

I'm looking for information on flat-roofed houses. I can't remember the designers name of the popular 50's and 60's flat roofed houses.

I'm hoping the name will help me find a house to buy. Its not Frank Lloyd Wright i'm tihnking of, it was another guy, there is a term for it.. and it's driving me mad!! lol

MCMMD
Modern Groupie

Postby MCMMD » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:32 am

We bought a home built in 1957 (two years YOUNGER than me!) and it was in bad condition but all was original except the kitchen, which was re-done in the 1980s and is horrendous. Every single thing in this house needed/needs replacing. We are now working on exterior doors. Our neighborhood is unfortunately falling victim to tear-down McMansionizing, but quite a few of us are holding firm. Some have added-on but in styles appropriate to the original homes. Fortunately, this will be our final home so we are not worrying about re-sale value. We will be gone when this home is sold.

The house is more of just a ranch with MCM features such as the deep overhangs and the large glass windows, rather than a seriously MCM home as might be found in Palm Springs or Trousdale.

The people who sold it to us were the daughter and son of the original owner. Their father made them promise that they would not sell it to someone who intended to tear it down. We are not following MCM style slavishly; it is more of an "homage" to the style, honoring the key features such as clean lines or curvilinear wood pieces but as we are doing the renovation, we always think about doing as little change to the basic structure as possible. In fact, it may end up being as little as removing one interior wall.

So glad to find this site!

nat109
Modern Groupie

Re: New members say HELLO here...

Postby nat109 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Hey, I am Nathan from Dallas. Looks like it's not popular thread anymore but any ways, hi :P

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”