New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

I looked thru the album

Postby modfan » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:27 pm

That Smith House Living room is cool. That cathedral ceiling, and that cornice indirect lighting is great. Was the 'media niche' next to the fireplace original or was that added later.-if original-shows how prescient the design of mid mod homes are.

DFWmidmodfan
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby DFWmidmodfan » Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:51 pm

modfan,

I'm not sure if the "media niche" is an original feature. The house was extensively remodeled recently. Even so, if the niche is a recent addition, its inclusion into the fabric of the house is seamless.

One interesting feature of this house is that it includes a small hair salon, complete with salon type hair dryers, cheesy wallpaper, the works. The story was that the original owner's (the Smiths) wife either had her hair dressed in her own home or was a hairdresser (I lean toward the former, given that the owners were profitable homebuilders locally).

Indirect cove or cornice lighting is a mid-mod detail I love. My own childhood house had it in the kitchen - a cove on each side of a galley kitchen - and I've built two for the house I now live in. One in the media room and one in, of all places, my woodworking shop.
Eric Green's DFW mid-mod site:
www.cosmicool.com

darling
Modern Groupie

Postby darling » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:05 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:42 pm

Welcome! At last night's meeting, there was discussion of sometimes holding meetings in Long Beach. This came about because of the endangered Java Lanes/Lava Lounge bowling center and the idea of having a gathering there.

I know of one other OC member who'd like to attend meetings (and who also works in South County) but just can't make it.

My grandparents created a beautiful Japanese garden around their self-built Japanese-style house in San Marino (very near Cal Tech). Unfortunately, when the property was sold 30 years later, the new owner trashed everything that was attractive about that property.
Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

veronykah
Modern Groupie

New Memeber

Postby veronykah » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:44 pm

Hi, just joined your wonderful site. I've been interested in all things 50s for quite awhile now. At the moment I'm doing a photo project on 50s architecture, which is why I ended up here!

darling
Modern Groupie

Postby darling » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:52 am

nerdling
Modern Groupie

...hello?

Postby nerdling » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:24 pm

Hi, I am a new member saying hello. My name is Marleigh and I am a native Calfornian, born and raised in the rather unattractive and terribly un-stylish Santa Clarita Valley and currently residing in Pasadena. I am a big big fan of modern design and was very excited to hear that there is a group out there trying to keep all the most interesting parts of LA architecture safe.

So...hi!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:11 pm

nerdling
Modern Groupie

Postby nerdling » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:37 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:09 am

streinen
Modern Master

Hello!

Postby streinen » Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:12 am

gcstyle
Modern Groupie

Postby gcstyle » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:58 am

Hi everyone from Italy

i just surfed your site looking for Craig Ellwood web pages on the web
glad to see others interested in modern architecture

I'm an architect, living in Florence.

ciao!
around

modfan

Hi Italy

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:38 am

I remember in '72 on a trip to Europe I stayed at a religious school (Santa Maria Addoloratta? on Via Faentia Marvasi-in suburban Rome) off the Via Aurelia and on the next block was a lamp store and it had all these cool modern lamps. Now you look in the architecture mags and it has all these ads for cool modern furniture and stuff seems like a lot on them are Italian.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Hello

Postby lasvegaslynn » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:44 pm

Hey guys,

Thought I would introduce myself. I heard about you guys from Otto and his Tiki email list.

I grew up in Las Vegas from 1961 - 1977. Been here in Southern California since 1977. Have always loved neon (being from Vegas I guess explains it), 50s architecture, art deco and the like. My Uncle Mike is a Southern Calif native and has always been into tikis and the Southern California luau culture.

I am producing a big project on Las Vegas to coincide with the Centennial next Spring so I have lots of information on historical Las Vegas, neon, buildings and stuff like that.

Lynn

Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:48 am

lynn, you and i and eric lynxwiler need to talk...

check out the tour i did last year
http://www.lottaliving.com/tours/

love to participate in the centennial somehow - how'd you get hooked up on that one?

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Last Year's tour

Postby lasvegaslynn » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:01 am

Any chance you are doing another Vegas tour this year?

Lynn

Sharpnoiz
Modern Groupie

New To Lottaliving

Postby Sharpnoiz » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:50 am

Hi everyone...guess I'm behind the times...I came accross this board through a friend just yesterday.

I'm a Long Beach resident currently passing around the info to petition the demolition of Java Lanes. Thanks to the involvement of the LA Conservancy, maybe we have a chance. Any idea how big or small the chance is....being that the property has already officially been sold to the developers? I know Adriene from the committe mentioned the possibility of a rally if there were enough local supporters.

I look forward to discussions, contributing, etc. Many thanks to Jessica (Ms J. VonFink) for getting me linked to Lotta Livin..

~Stephanie

Caledonia
Modern Socialite

Postby Caledonia » Mon May 03, 2004 8:31 am

Hi! I'm new here. Checking in from New York City, where we don't have much 50s architecture, although we do have some nice vintage diners. I love the googie architecture of LA and also enjoy poking around your rockin' flea markets when I visit. I collect vintage clothes and I also swing dance. I am an animation writer and I wrote the episode of "DARIA" where Jane dates an annoying "retro" guy. I am a member of the Municipal Arts Society, Landmarks Conservancy, and Society for Commercial Archeaology and I am friends with the Roadside America guys. I hope someday to meet some Modern Commitee folks in person.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon May 03, 2004 1:48 pm

yo yo yo yo! east coast is in da house!

please keep us up to date on your new york stuff in new threads here - it would be nice to have more east coast discussion. and you will find there are are some SCA members here as well...

ePimp
Modern Socialite

Postby ePimp » Wed May 05, 2004 10:21 pm

Hi. I've actually posted here a few times since May 2003, right after my wife and I purchased our MCM home in Oakland. After four months of working on the house, we finally moved in last September. We've got many more upgrades planned, and this board has been a great resource. Thanks!

johnny dollar
Modern Groupie

Postby johnny dollar » Fri May 07, 2004 5:41 am

yours truly, johnny dollar

minx
Modern Master

Postby minx » Fri May 14, 2004 8:52 am

Hello!
After lurking here for some time, I've finally joined the forum.
My guy and I boldly moved from Mid-Town to Pomona last fall and are in the process of renovating a mid-century home in the area known as Westmont (Charles Phoenix included information about the development in his wonderful "Cruising the Pomona Valley" book).
It may very well be one of the last affordable modern tracts left in LA County.
We are constantly making little discoveries in our area and hope that Pomona will continue to improve and enjoy an economic revival.
See y'all around the forum!

modfan

I remember Westmont

Postby modfan » Sat May 15, 2004 10:50 am

Corona Expwy. and Mission Bl. by the old General Dynamics plant.
Isn't there some cave up on the hill? Most of it was built out by the time we moved to Claremont in 56. But along about the very late 60's the newer section up higher on the hill was built-the company was called Western Orbis. And I think later Pardee built homes (some of the last ones in that area)-that tract was used in a TV movie called something like Diary of A Mad Housewife-that newer section posed as a 50's subdivision (but didn't really look it)-I guess they hoped the viewers wouldn't notice it too closely-the coulda used the homes lower on the flats but the landscaping woulda been too mature to look 'new' for the 1950's.

minx
Modern Master

Postby minx » Mon May 17, 2004 3:35 pm

Yep. That's our general vicinity. There are a few streets north of ours that feature older homes than our post and beam style. The houses south of us definitely appear newer and far, far uglier.
A neighbor was telling us about the cave you mentioned. A young boy was accidently killed in it so the city decided to dynamite it shut. They used too much explosive for the job and the result was blown out windows and shaken residents all through the development. He says you can clearly see where the entrance was, but I haven't spotted it yet.

Heidi
Modern Socialite

Postby Heidi » Thu May 20, 2004 5:48 pm

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Thu May 20, 2004 8:22 pm

swell-a
Modern Groupie

I'm new too

Postby swell-a » Mon May 24, 2004 10:00 am

Hi,
My name is Hilary and I stumbled onto these boards from the LA Conservancy website. I have a website called swell-a which is a fun and friendly guide to LA. Send me cool LA event info and I will list it on the site and in the newsletter that I send out once a month. You can check out the newsletter at http://www.swell-a.com/calendar.html and if you want to subscribe, send an email to subscribe@swell-a.com.
Meanwhile, I've been having a tough time uploading an avatar today so sorry for the faceless post.
Cheers,
Hilary :cheers: ***

David1064
Modern Groupie

Postby David1064 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:10 am

Hello -- My name is David and I just registered. I found your site while surfing around for Googie landmarks. Looks like a lot of good info here and I'm looking forward to chatting with all of you.
Regards,
David

gcstyle
Modern Groupie

Postby gcstyle » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:34 am

Hi there

i forgot 2 introduce myself

i found your forum surfing through the modern world web site (i don't
remember the right link)

btw, i live in Italy.
I found most of the Modern Architecture absolutely wonderful.
Craig Ellwood (he used to live near Florence where i live), Mies,
are, ones, of my favourite architect

good to be here :)

are you only interested in Modern Architecture in U.S.A. or can I, time
to time, link some good web site with Modern Architecture here
in Italy ?

ciao :)
Around ***

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:47 am

Wow! Craig Ellwood in Florence - yet another reason to get a room with a view.

Yes, please do post about Modernity in Europe and anywhere else abroad.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”