New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

hanna1
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My Cliff May - chris Choate

Postby hanna1 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:16 pm

We live in Castro Valley, Ca, very close to some Eichler's here. Our home being so little 1,100 sqft, an added tiny room, is now a (closet) in back of master bedroom added 200 sqft., this was added on in 1960, from the plans we have. Thank Goodness they saved the upper windows and added them on to the new addition. We still have the original flyer for the house, this was a very exciting find as well! All our electric switches are sideways!?!? Our kitchen being a narrow tunnel, We just removed the 2 low walls dividing the kitchen from the dining room, We plan to remove the kitchen wall back to the living room wall, the hall is so narrow and dreary, it holds our clothes dryer, has bookshelves at front opening, this is how it was when we moved in last year. 2 people could not function in that space! Times have changed and it will be nice to see out and have more light, and being able to move around and add more cabinets, as it lacks much space (storage). I love the floor to ceiling windows, glass doors, they are original and really should be replaced with new glass. Someone had removed the glass front door a long time ago for more privacy, too bad. I cannot believe what some neighbors are doing to theirs, very sad to see. You want pictures, I will post them soon for you to see!How do I post on this site?
Yours in the Garden

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:31 pm

Use the gallery link at the top of this page. Log in using guest for both the log in name and password. Look in the residential folders and see if there are any topics that sound right, and if not, start a new one for your neighborhood.
Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

hanna1
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Cliff may Stamp

Postby hanna1 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:28 pm

Lavendera, the stamp is identical to the one Joe posted above my message.
Yours in the Garden

Chimay
Special Secret Modern Agent

Hello

Postby Chimay » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:46 pm

I just posted my hi as a general topic, because I didn't notice your message. Apologies from a Newbie.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:16 pm

no sweat - it's good to have a separate topic for the dwell boarders - as that is pretty traumatic thing to lose a board like that - even if it is temporary...

Chimay

Thanks Megamail

Postby Chimay » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:17 pm

Yes, I'm going through withdrawals! I miss the gang already...

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:47 pm

Chimay's in da house!

Ya, the dwell boat sunk. But we're just floating around here, enjoying a cocktail and talking about all things Modern.

I enjoyed your discussions about perserving neighborhoods and Palmer & Krisel homes back on the dwell board. You'll find a few P&K fans here who post on a regular basis.

You'll also find some San Diego P&K homes in the LottaLiving gallery.

Welcome!

Chimay

Now there's a familiar face!

Postby Chimay » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:00 pm

Thanks, Joe! Good to hear from ya!

DamonBoost
Modern Fan

Postby DamonBoost » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:24 pm

Just thought I would introduce myself.. Damon from Little Rock, AR.. I lurked for a long time on dwell.. now I am here =)
::damon::

Starlite Room
Modern Groupie

Postby Starlite Room » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:16 am

Hey Gang! My name is Jason and my wife Catherine and I have a store called Starlite Room here in Long Beach CA. We deal in all kinds of 50's-60's furniture/decor and clothing. We have been invited to join this forum on a few occasions and have finally gotten to it. We hope to be able to contribute to the cause.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:36 pm

Arkansas and the LBC in the house! Welcome.

Jason, thanks for the plug on your shop. You are always welcome to do so. Hopefully, those Cliff May home owners in Long Beach will frequent your place (and others on this board). I'll check your shop out when I am down your way soon. Do you have a web site?

DamonBoost, your shop looks pretty fun. It's good to see a little "west coast" out your way. This site really draws from all over, not just cali. I too am a dwell refugee. Look forward to talking to you about your desire to build an inexpensive modern home. Do you have a site?

Starlite Room
Modern Groupie

Postby Starlite Room » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:55 pm

As a matter of fact we do! Check us out at www.starliteroom.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:26 pm

Cool stuff!

Gotta luv the shag bar! My problem is if I had a shag bar, I would never see the print ; )

Looks fun!

Humuhumu
Modern Groupie

Postby Humuhumu » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:32 pm

Aloha!

I'm a friend of M-M's, and some of you may also know me from Tiki Central (or my own website, ). I recently moved to Los Angeles from Seattle. Beyond my primary passion of midcentrury Polynesian Pop, I also work on consuming all possible closet space with vintage clothes, and I love exploring the midcentury sites in my new city.

I just had the fortune of visiting another great midcentury restaurant this evening with M-M, we were at Billingsley's in Van Nuys for the last night of Gray Wayne on organ.

I look forward to more exploring!
- Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:04 pm

I like the picture of the "spitting water drum" at Critiki (posted 8-2-04). I was at Disney World in October and didn't see it.

I used to visit a friend in Seattle. (We saw The Phantom Menace at Seattle's Cinerama Dome.) Has anyone been to the new sci-fi museum at the base of the Space Needle? (Too bad the Forrest J. Ackerman collection couldn't have gone there.)

I'm excited about the voter-approved monorail project. I hope it happens. I don't why big businesses like Starbucks are against it.

Pharos
Modern Groupie

Hello...

Postby Pharos » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:53 pm

My name's Anthony Mark and I live in Oakland, CA. I discovered your wonderful website through Tiki Central. I was born in 1967, so I didn't get to really enjoy the 60's. I love Tiki, Googie architecture, clothing, art. I love lounge music. I also love B-films and think that today's movies stink. And don't get me started on the horrible garbage that's trying to pass itself off as architecture that's springing up around the Bay Area.

I have worked in Visual Effects since 1997, but my real love is graphic design and am trying to go freelance creating my own merchandise based on my work. I just opened my first store at cafepress.com.

http://www.cafeshops.com/pharosgraphics

Thank you.

Anthony

---------------------------

Anthony Mark
pharospro@earthlink.net
http://pharosproductions.com

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:42 am

you're in the right place, Anthony.

You'll find a few folks here who are obsessed with mid-century modern architecture and culture (me included), along with lovers of just about everything else mentioned on your list! Some of us even talk about graphic design, now and then.

Oh, if you feel the need to vent about the crap being built today, PLEASE DO!

Visuals are always fun. If you see a horrid house, or a really cool one, please share.

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Hello...

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:07 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:24 pm

migeulito
Modern Fan

Welcome

Postby migeulito » Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:01 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:04 am

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:15 am

Greg

Pharos
Modern Groupie

Re: Re: Hello...

Postby Pharos » Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:36 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:57 pm

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:10 am

Greg

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Re: Hello...

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:43 pm

[quote="Pharos"] I'm originally from Puerto Rico and some of my first memories are the shows Cool McCool,

I remember that name. Was that a Hanna Barbera character?

Ultraman,

I haven't seen that show since about 1978, but the effects seemed pretty good at the time.

I also remember my favorite place, a cool restaurant that is no more called The Choo Choo Train Restaurant, where people sat around a large train set (with trees and little lakes with goldfish) and your food would arrive to you by train. The restaurant was dimly lit and had a lot of atmosphere. Needless to say, it was very popular with kids. Too bad I don't know of anyone who ever took photos.

Pretty neat. Was that in Puerto Rico?

Pharos
Modern Groupie

Re: The Choo Choo Train Restaurant and Cool McCool

Postby Pharos » Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:26 am

Yes, The Choo Choo Train Restaurant was in Puerto Rico. It was located on a corner building just before entering the old Spanish built city of Old San Juan.

Cool McCool was an animated cartoon from the 60's created by Al Brodax and Bob Kane (of Batman fame). It was animated by the same people (I believe Australians) who animated the Beatles animated cartoon. Brodax produced the animated Beatles cartoon and The Yellow Submarine movie. Cool McCool was a fumbling detective, sort of like Get Smart, but cooler. Even though he was a total goof he managed to solve his cases and then mess them up again right at the last second. There were cool villains in the show, including The Rattler, Dr. Madcap, the Jack in the Box, Greta Ghoul, Hurricane Harry and The Owl. It also predated Charlie's Angels in that you never see the face of McCool's boss. Every episode ended with the boss pressing a button on his desk and McCool being ejected from his chair and through the skylight.

http://members.aol.com/PaulEC1/cool.html

http://www.geocities.com/asotillo2000/Cool_McCool.htm

If interested, a DVD is available from Amazon UK, but it will only play on Open Region players with Pal playing capability.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... P9MP/ll-20
Well, enough about Cool McCool.

Anthony

------------------------------------------

Anthony Mark
pharospro@earthlink.net
http://pharosproductions.com
http://www.cafeshops.com/pharosgraphics

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:56 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: The Choo Choo Train Restaurant and Cool McCool

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:59 am

[quote="Pharos"] Cool McCool was a fumbling detective, sort of like Get Smart, but cooler. Even though he was a total goof he managed to solve his cases and then mess them up again right at the last second. [SNIP]

Sounds funny. I'm surprised there hasn't been a live-action movie version.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Cool McCool-Was this a cartoon

Postby modfan » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:03 pm

That was only seen in Puerto Rico? I don't remember it here, and I don't remember if there was any associated merchandising with it.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”