New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Pharos
Modern Groupie

Re: Cool McCool

Postby Pharos » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:35 pm

Apparently Cool McCool played in the U.S.:

http://members.aol.com/PaulEC1/cool.html

"...ran Saturday monings on NBC from September 1966 to August 1969."

For fans of the psychedelic, there is an Australian animated cartoon I recently discovered called Arthur! and the Square Knights of the Round Table. The psychedelic art, especially the backgrounds, is pretty out there.

http://www.toonarific.com/show_pics.php?show_id=302

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 06-5012622

Ok, I won't mention any more cartoons.

Anthony
--------------------------------

pharospro@earthlink.net
http://pharosproductions.com
http://www.cafeshops.com/pharosgraphics

luke_trash
Modern Master

Postby luke_trash » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:19 pm

My name is Luke, and I saw this while buzzing through tribe.net (which I don't really ever take too much time to read)

I live in a small house in Iowa that was built in 1952. I'm not much on keeping up with any trends, I just toss stuff together with the fiancee based on what appeals to us.

We're in the middle of nowhere as far as style minded people go, which is a big plus. We are bargain hunters at auctions and sales.

Currently trying to get our little home set up how we want it, and without spending a whole lotta scratch.

I am not much on mod decor, but older stuff from the mid 50's.

Anyway, I came here looking for a forum to get ideas or information about the sort of thing we spend our free time doing.

I figured I better introduce myself, lest I be hazed severely.

Later,

Luke
old beats new

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:15 pm

welcome aboard, Luke_trash. we won't haze you too hard ; )

Like many of us here, I like the old stuff too. I am not sure of everyone's motivation towards retro and mid-century modern, but I recognize it for good design and innovation from a period in our country many recognize as optimistic and fun.

Where abouts in Iowa are you in? I was just in Creston (SW Iowa) a couple summers back. like everyone else in Oregon, I have many Iowans for relatives.

I saw your Lustron and your desire for replacement siding. Your local sheet metal fabricator should be able to get you that pretty easily. The difficulty, though, will be finding someone to install it. If you don't know already, you may want to acquire those skills yourself.

The residential bulletin board tends to be a self-help gathering place for all us old home owners to share ideas and horror stories.

Speaking of Lustron, have you seen Atomic Ranch yet? www.atomic-ranch.com It's a quarterly magazine geared towards middle class ranch homes and modern tract homes. A couple issues back, they had a big feature on Lustron homes. There has been other discussions on this board about Lustron. You can search from the LL home-page.

hiltiki
Modern Fan

Postby hiltiki » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:44 pm

Hi , I am fairly new to this. I saw it on Tiki Central, and Megamail told me about it. Great info about everything here. I know I am going to love it. I live in S.F.Valley , my house was built in 1948-9 and I am taking it back to the 50's, with furniture and all. It is a lot of work but it is fun.

bearch
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bearch » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:52 am

I've come over here from the Dwell & Live Modern boards. I've lurked for a while and noted the left coast bias - Lavardera excepted - and don't know how much I can contribute since I've never been west of the Rockies.

I grew up in a 1960 split level with cheap modern furniture my parents couldn't wait to get rid of when we got older, had a G.I. Joe, watched the Jetsons, Speed Racer & Ultraman and traveled around in my dad's Volkswagon Microbus.

I probably didn't realize how much that stuff affected me while I was going through architecture school and didn't appreciate it until I got up here to northern New England where examples of residential modern architecture are few. I keep a sort of mental scrapbook of what I call my "modern orphans"; underappreciated and often abandoned modern buildings waiting patiently for me to win the lottery.

I always thought that the optimism represented by so much of the mid-century architecture and design was just a product of my own youthful optimism, but I now realize that it was more a part of the national culture.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Tue Aug 17, 2004 7:40 am

Hey! Welcome Tom. I hope you can treat us to photos of some of these under-appreciated treasures.

Go right coast!
Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:40 am

West coast, east coast, no coast. LL welcomes all. No bias here ; )

Actually, the east/west Modernism feud has always been there. For a long time the eastern establishment looked down on the west because most felt the best architecture schools were in the east. But things changed when Richard Neutra, Rudolph Schindler, and Albert Frey emerged in California, FLLW moved to AZ, and a host of architects developed what was called "warm modernism." This included William Wurster, Harwell H. Harris, Pietro Belluschi, John Yeon, Gordon Drake, and Cliff May. West coast architecture schools also produced their own in A. Quincy Jones (UW), Pierre Koenig (USC), Chris Choate (USC), Palmer & Krisel (both USC), Ed Fickett (USC), William Cody (USC). I'll note that Belluschi and Wurster were deans at MIT.

So don't be too upset if you don't find many posts on Mies van der Rohe, Phillip Johnson, Le Corbusier, Marcel Breuer, Eliel or Eero Saarinen, Charles Goodman, Carl Koch, etc. They are just waiting to happen!

By lurking, bearch, you can tell this board is a little mellower than the old dwell board. Not many barbs traded here. Not many agendas either. So have fun and I look forward to your sharing of knowledge!

bearch
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bearch » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:13 am

Thanks, guys. I look forward to contributing where I can.

I've been meaning to do some photo documentation, Greg. Perhaps I'll borrow the company digital camera this weekend. Of course, then I'll have to figure out how to post the pictures.

Joe, you skipped two of my favorite left coast modern architects. Gregory Ain worked with H.H. Harris in Neutra's office and designed the house featured in Matchstick Men starring Nicholas Cage. The other was Craig Elwood, who's own life story would make a great movie.

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:20 am

Pink Poodle
Modern Fan

Postby Pink Poodle » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:24 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:27 pm

welcome pink poodle!

we are all on serious mid-century modern architecture/furniture/lifestyle binges here! No slowing down!

Right we have some great discussions going on about architects Ed Fickett, Palmer & Krisel (Palm Springs-SoCal fame), the up coming Mondo Lounge, weekend furniture finds, flooring choices, googie coffee shops, historical preservation, and more. Not just Cal either. Regular visitors from Wisconsin, Iowa, Texas, New Jersey, Oregon, Florida, and all points in between!

Your hostes, megamail, will be by to take your drink order soon ; )

Cheers :cheers:

Muriel Puce
Modern Groupie

Postby Muriel Puce » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:55 pm

Hi, I'm Tracy. I found you through the Conservancy site. I love 50s & 60s architecture, furniture, music, etc....Two of my favorite LA area places are Clifton's Brookdale & Bahookas.

I look forward to attending a meeting!

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:54 pm

We once discussed having a meeting at Bahooka's. I can't remember why that didn't happen.

Someone told me that part of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was filmed there.

Muriel Puce
Modern Groupie

Postby Muriel Puce » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:19 pm

Carpie
Modern Fan

Hello to all

Postby Carpie » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:40 am

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:47 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:29 pm

chiefted
Modern Groupie

Newbie here

Postby chiefted » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:41 pm

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Sep 11, 2004 9:23 am

Hello to Mary-Margaret, Joe and all the Modern Fans at this site: It's great
to find an on-line home at last. I'm a life-long fan of the "mother art" in all
its forms, but especially the incredible (inevitable?) developments of the
past 100 years. What a wonderful time to be living in; what a trove of art-
treasures to explore!

Born in NE Ohio in 1942; raised and educated in Westchester County, NY
and Providence, RI (BFA, Interior Architectural Design); fifteen years in
Massachusetts and twenty-five in NoCal. making furniture and cabinets
and reading, reading, reading / drawing, drawing, drawing architecture
and furniture. Hoping to spend the time I have left, designing and draw-
ing in some capacity or other.

Had the pleasure last night of directing another new member, who plans
a trip to San Diego, to Schindler's Pueblo Ribera Courts in La Jolla
(though I haven't been there myself, yet). Ain't this a great way to
communicate?

Thanks so much for creating and maintaining a beautiful and useful site, Miss Megamail and friends!

With fond regards (as my Dad used to say), Stephen D Ritchings

designsmithgallery
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby designsmithgallery » Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:08 pm

David G. Smith
designsmithgallery
www.designsmithgallery.com
513.421.1397/ 513.9303 fax
513.403.2832 cell

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:05 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:52 pm

richardserra
Modern Groupie

Postby richardserra » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:42 pm

remember to always respect your Uncle Buckles

hoodlum
Modern Fan

hello there

Postby hoodlum » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:30 pm

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:50 pm

hey - don't think for a minute that Cannondale typeface slipped by unnoticed. I know a gearhead when I see one! :D

ImageImage
Greg

hoodlum
Modern Fan

Postby hoodlum » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:48 pm

all it needs now is to be italicized, however i didn't create the logo and i think we will be replacing it with our new logo soon, but nice catch Greg.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:49 am

sweet!
Greg

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:41 am

Lav: you may be a gear head and a fine architect, but a typographer you are not ; )

Other than being slab san serif type faces, that's their only similarities. Cannondale is a new, unknown type face, possibly custom for the brand. The type used on the first Lortondale image is the popular Eurostile type face, designed by Italian font designer Aldo Novarese in 1962.

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:47 am

I concede half your point - I realized soon after I checked that it was not the same face, but similar in design spirit. Cannondale has changed their logo face a number of times over their life, but that eurostile aesthetic has been there since the 80's at least. My experience as a is limited at best, but it does still earn me a continuous if modest royalty.
Greg

surflounge
Modern Groupie

from Crazy Joe at surflounge.com

Postby surflounge » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:41 pm

Love your site. Keep up the good work. I've been a supporter of all things Surf and Lounge related from Crazy Joe's Surf Lounge website at http://www.surflounge.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”