New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Phillip
Modern Fan
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hello I'm Phillip

Postby Phillip » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:10 pm

:D

RussAndJanelleHamel
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: New members say HELLO here... Hi from Texas!

Postby RussAndJanelleHamel » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:09 am

Hi! We are Russell and Janelle and we live in the DFW metroplex in Texas. Are there any other Texans here? I know this is primarily a L.A. based forum, but it is such a great resource for Mid-Century Modern that we have been visiting it daily since we first discovered it. I (Russ) am an Art Teacher and hopeful future architecture student, and Janelle is an artist. We love all things Mid-Century Modern and retro (Blenko Glass, Architecture, Shag artwork, etc). If there are any regs here from the DFW area who would like to start a DFWMODCOM, let us know!

Thanks!
Russ and Janelle

P.S. Mary-Margaret, we love your Franciscan Starbust-inspired paintings! Have you done any other Mid-Century Modern themed artwork? :D
Last edited by RussAndJanelleHamel on Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic exists in curves, not angles" - Mason Cooley
"Time is on my side...My Bad Side" - Space Ghost

texasdago
Modern Master

Another new Texan

Postby texasdago » Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:17 am

Well... I joined a couple of days ago and I'm in Houston. As some of you already saw, my wife and I live in a Houston neighborhood called Memorial Bend. We moved in about 1 1/2 years ago because we loved the architecture of the homes. I started a web page called www.memorialbendarchitecture.com to start cataloging the modern homes in our neighborhood and to provide information on the architects, residents, history, etc.

Anyway, my wife and I love mid-century architecture, furniture, etc. I'm probably more obsessed than she is and yet she's the interior designer. Go figure.

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Hi Russell and Janelle

Postby Chrisgreen » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:42 pm

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Re: Hi Russell and Janelle

Postby Chrisgreen » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:50 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Re: New members say HELLO here... Hi from Texas!

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:49 pm

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Hello

Postby scottkaycee » Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:54 am

I have recently been eavesdropping every now and then and could no longer resist the urge to drop in. My background is in design and I have recently completed my Bachelor of Architecture. I have always been a mod fan even in High school, and I am now discovering what a great modern community there is online!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:14 pm

Welcome to the Community Scott! Glad to see you post !!! I wish more folks like you (and you know who you are :P ) would stop in and say hello. It's interesting to find out who's out there, where people write in from and what their interest are...

Please start a topic sometime and let us know about the Modern landmarks of Rialto! and congrats on graduating.

PSmodern
Modern Groupie

Hi All !!

Postby PSmodern » Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:09 pm

"....by 1958 we had it down pat..."

spyrograph
Modern Groupie

Hiya!

Postby spyrograph » Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:44 pm

bananabobs
Modern Master

Welcome

Postby bananabobs » Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:44 am

Bronte
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby Bronte » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:01 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:26 am

Welcome all... remember the more you post - the more other people will post. Make it a daily habit (or more) to check in and the community will grow.

Not sure what to say? Try looking over the older past posts to see if there is something you'd like to comment on. It's a little sad when someone asks a question and no one answers them :cry: Wouldn't you hate that if that was you? Even if you don't have an answer - just a friendly word of encouragement is always nice. So go ahead and post today!!!

And a great BIG welcome to our little online Modcom family :)

Don-O
Modern Socialite

Oh, HI already!

Postby Don-O » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:09 pm

Good Hello! I already posted this in the regular message board, but since THEY insisted on this new member board, I might as well be the good guest and repeat myself. There ain't much I put in this tomb as I feel self-concous (sic) about giving out this "lust for old biuldings...I do hope I still have a life after I post something like this on message boards. More ego trips in details much later. Enjoy!:

Good Hello to all,

My name is Don Fields and after meny years, I finally found the web address of the L. A. Modern Committee. I knew I would find myself here after meny flurts with "the modern" and other urban artifacts. I was young enough to remember the old Neptune entrance at the old Pacific Ocean Park (actually, it was just after they closed, but who's counting I guess), Tomorrowland was the first "land" I went straight to when I visited Disneyland (and stopped going after they closed it), fell in love with Las Vegas when I was 13 (circa 1977), remembered the hotel I stayed in during a road trip through San Francisco (it was the Villa Romona, it was shaped like a donut), also remembered the 'Jackpot Hotel' an S. F., too. I lived in various spots in the Valley and the South Bay, so I recognized meny of the typical urban "uniqueness" like Tiki buildings and themed apartments.

I hope to become a "Modern" member within the next two months. I just wanted to say "Hi!" before I make myself as a fool when I do become a member.

Thanks,
Don-O

P. S.: If anybody knows where or have photos of those two S. F. hotels, please let me know. Thanks again.
For further details:
http://donosdump.com

IgorP
Modern Groupie

San Francisco Virtual Walking Tour

Postby IgorP » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:22 pm

May I attract your attention to the San Francisco Virtual Walking Tour . It has a lot of visual information about modern San Francisco architecture. I am very interested in your feedback. What is appropriate discussion to post it in? What group could be interested?
All the best to people who like modern architecture!

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 21, 2003 1:10 pm

That's a really cool site - it took alot of work to put that together. congrats! wish we could build something like that here for a few select locations. thanks for posting...

Puddintate
Modern Fan

Hello...I'm new

Postby Puddintate » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:33 pm

Hi everone,I'm new to posting here allthough I have been reading posts here for about a month.
I came to California with my family in '72 and I definitely thought I was watching the future happening before my eyes.Little did I know I would watch the future crumble.Replaced by "cookie cutter" formations, or abused beyond recognition by their new owners. :cry:

The past year we've been getting rid of all our contemporary furniture and replacing it with nice modern lines of Drexel and Edward Wormley, Sputnik and onion shaped lamps.

In a way, we feel we are investing in a lost heritage,while enjoying waking up , and looking at it every day! :D
"Make me a Sergeant, give me the booze!"
"Please.........My nerves!"

nashwill
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby nashwill » Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:55 pm

Posted: Mar 25, 2003 12:37 pm Post subject: Hello

Somehow managed not to post this in the right place - let me try again:

We live in Pasadena, in Bungalow Heaven. Our definition of "Modern" pretty much encompasses the 20th Century, even a bit of the 19th (Arts & Crafts, Art Nouveau), up until PoMo came along and it all got just too cute and self-referential...although we've admired some of that, too.

We love the SoCal coffee shops for the look, the ambience and the food. We're into the Car Culture, the scruffy blue-collar bars of Long Beach, cheap antique malls, cheap eats, and well-done architecture of any sort or style. Our kitchen back in Nashville was nicknamed The Owen Museum Of Culinary Power Tools, as we hope our current one will soon be.
"The god Mammon prefers his acolytes to be trained, rather than educated." - L.J.K. Setright

coldhart56
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby coldhart56 » Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:17 pm

Saw references to Eichlers and it caught my eye since I'm a fan. Also loved the art deco houses in San Diego.

Coldhart

sonic
Modern Fan

hi, i'm new in this board

Postby sonic » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:37 am

...this spring i did some photos of the recently discovered Strick House by Oscar Niemeyer - here is the url:

http://you-are-here.com/2/2smst1.html

i like to make architectural photos especially in Los Angeles, because only here you have all the styles.
Last edited by sonic on Thu May 01, 2003 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:35 pm

sonic - you have some amazing pictures on your site - i just HAD to link one here...

lavardera
Modern Master

Greetings

Postby lavardera » Thu May 01, 2003 9:51 am

Greg
gregory la vardera architect
modern stock plans www.lamidesign.com/plans
design blogger www.materialicio.us

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 01, 2003 10:06 am

Gary
Modern Home Design
http://www.modern-home-design.com

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Thu May 01, 2003 10:10 am

Greg

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 01, 2003 10:20 am

Gary

Modern Home Design

http://www.modern-home-design.com

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu May 01, 2003 12:13 pm

deidrereed
Modern Groupie

hi all!

Postby deidrereed » Thu May 01, 2003 12:55 pm

lavardera
Modern Master

Postby lavardera » Thu May 01, 2003 1:46 pm

Greg

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby modfan » Thu May 01, 2003 2:54 pm

10yrsaft
Modern Socialite

Hi there fellow modern fanatics!

Postby 10yrsaft » Thu May 01, 2003 4:38 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”