New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Thoroughly Modern Michael
Modern Fan

Hello

Postby Thoroughly Modern Michael » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:51 am

Hello:

My name is Michael Stern, and I am an artist and the website designer and editor of the Palm Springs Modern Committee's website. I'm also the Curator of the huge "Julius Shulman: Palm Springs" exhibition at the Palm Springs Art Museum, and co-author, with Alan Hess, of the Rizzoli book "Julius Shulman: Palm Springs".

I live in a Trousdale in Palm Springs. (http://www.modernps.com)

I'm a big fan of this board. You really do an excellent job!

Billy Boom-Batz
Modern Groupie

Lotta Living rocks mi sockies...

Postby Billy Boom-Batz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 pm

Hello there folks...I'm brand spankin' new here to the Lotta Livin' Forum...although I've been watching it for some time...I finally decided to leap in and join up so I could have some fun discussions with all of you.

I'm a huge mid-mod and mid-mod revival fan...and professionally, I'm a Sr. Director of Design from the Automotive, Toy and Entertainment fields, I also play drums in a bunch of Los Angels and Orange County original rock bands...And I am seriously good looking....OK, maybe that last part was a bit of an overstatement...LOL! :pimp:

But enough about me...tell me about y'all. You seem like a pretty interesting bunch![/code]

noeticblues
Modern Groupie

Postby noeticblues » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm new (obviously!). I married a year ago and moved up here to CT where I rebelled against all the colonial forebears and bought a mcm house of glorious proportions just outside of the historical district in Litchfield, which I am in the process of remodeling (or should I say un-remodeling?).

I have two stepchildren, two cats...and that's about it. I'm 23, a transplant from first Texas and then Chicago. I miss Chicago A LOT! I don't know many people in my area, so if there are any MCM lovers nearby, let me know!

tomb
Modern Master

HI!

Postby tomb » Sun May 18, 2008 5:05 am

Hi there, i'm new here too (obviously). Anyway, My wife and I are in the market for a MCM home on the Portage/Kalamazoo area. Hoping to find a fixer.
Been lurking here for a couple weeks, I like this place!
-tom

MCMMI
Modern Groupie

MCM in MI

Postby MCMMI » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:47 pm

Hey LLers:

Ran into this site a few weeks ago, while surfing for tips on DIY flooring for my butterfly-roofed split-level in Michigan (I know, crazy, I'll try to post pics later). I'm originally from here, then a Portland, Oregon-er for about 8 years, and now back here until our daughter graduates high school, at which point we'll probably head back to Portland. Your site makes my day. I think of it as my MCM support group...sometimes I feel very alone out here in the glove. But glad to see the post before me was from MI too (what's with all of you MCM fans and the K-Zoo area?)

Alright that's it for now. I'm off to reply to a post from Joe in the Portland thread that made me LOL.

archhistory
Modern Groupie

Almost 3 months in the OC...

Postby archhistory » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Thank you Lotta for maintaining this site.
I've been involved in architectural history/historic preservation for over 20 years but have only been practicing in SoCal for about 3 months. A native of SF, I learned to love an Eichler in the "Highlands" development south on the peninsula, the house of close family friends.
Currently I am very concerned about the future of Richard Neutra's Mariners Medical Office Building in Newport Beach. Other members of the AIA of Orange Co. and I are seeing how this wonderful building, or pair of buildings really, can be saved. If I figure out how, I will attach a picture of it by John Linnert, AIA, 2008.
I look forwarded to making more MODCOM events and hope that more will be created around OC resources.
Ed Yarbrough, Assoc. AIA, Architectural Historian
edyarbrough@hotmail.com
PS I see how an image off the net can be attached but not just inserted from my pc. Sorry!

belle bramble
Modern Groupie

You may admire a girl's curves on the first introduction,

Postby belle bramble » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:55 pm

but the second meeting shows up new angles. Mae West

Well hello there! I'm new to this town, my name is Belle Bramble, I'm a pin-up model and actress, with a sideline in design and I'm only here for the Tom Collins :cheers: ***
“The practice of putting women on pedestals began to die out when it was discovered that they could give orders better from there” Betty Grable

alishacarie
Modern Groupie

Postby alishacarie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:52 pm

Hello!

I am new here also :wink:
I'm 19 years old, from Germany, and live in Indiana now. I have been married for a little over a year and lived in Indiana for almost two years.
I love vintage clothes, mid century furniture, my siamese cat Miles, good music, Austin Texas and photogaphy..

hala bullhiki
Modern Groupie

Postby hala bullhiki » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:50 pm

hello....glad to have finally signed up over here (whats taken me so long!) long time lurker( as in years),long time tiki central member and javas batchelor pad visitor, first time poster here at lotta livin. definately into tiki,mcm,and tons of music (some of which most of you would hate, and some of which most of you would love........variety IS the spice of life). im a mental health professional and musician, have been married 3 years, have an awsome 14 month old daughter, and another on the way.

verycontrary
Modern Groupie

Postby verycontrary » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 am

Hello! My name is Mary, I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and I love exploring old, new and out of the way places in and around town. This site has given me lots of great tips in the past. I'm a documentary and reality television producer and I'm currently writing a blog set in Los Angeles from the 60's to the present day, which I am hoping to turn into a book. You can read it here: www.mymotherandothers.blogspot.com. I'd love to hear what you think!

klangfarben
Modern Groupie

hello world!

Postby klangfarben » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:44 pm

Greetings all!

I have been lurking on the LL forum for awhile and figured it was high time to surface. This has been a great resource for my endless research topics for home improvement and general interest in most things mid-century and/or modern.

I am especially fond of the work of Neutra, Schiller, Eichler, the NorCalMod scene, plus the landscape gurus Eckbo and James Rose as well as many other architects and designers. And following the Eichler renovation of redneckmodern has been very cool too.

Mod on!

--klangfarben

soundsnuts
Modern Groupie

Just met you . Remember me ? Grandmother on Motor Bike.

Postby soundsnuts » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:32 am

:oops: :o :D This is confusing to figure out. Mary Margaret. I hope to be droping by and that I can help you in any way that I can. Then maybe I will have some topics to really discuss on your forum. What you are doing is truly amazing ! I love it ! Cannot wait to talk to you again in person. Anyway this is obviously my first post. It is 220am . Noticed that you were working hard @ about 11pm on my way home from Reike! Love Kathy or Soundsnuts girl! PS Too tired to make much sense right now. Don't worry I would never ever bid aginst you! I just know we can form an alliance because what you are doing fits perfectly with what I am doing.I told my Reike group that I felt I had an appointment with destiny when I met you. Miracles , or synergy or Relativity and Law Of Attraction in the works.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it sounds nuts it is ! That is if you like nuts and sounds!

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Greetings from Indianapolis

Postby BAZ_MCM » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Hello all. I've been in the shadows for a couple of months now, absorbing all I can. I've decided to step into the light and say hello. My wife and I are moments away from closing on our first home. A great little MCM in Indianapolis. A blog has been started: http://atomicindy.blogspot.com/

Thanks for all the insights, motivation, ideas, and know-how. I hope to continue learning and one day educate others.

Cheers,

-BAZ
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

HodadHank
Modern Groupie

Hodaddy says Hi

Postby HodadHank » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:56 pm

Newbie dude'll do!

I grew up in a mid mod household outside Philly. Our furniture was BLONDE Danish. Our lamps looked like freeform creamic space birds w/ rigidly geometric shades on top to keep them from floating away. My dad was a trumpet playing scientist, my mom worked for a record shop! Dad's cars were chromey & finny & he would be disappointed we aren't all flying by now. We drove to Disneyworld . I loved Tomorrowland & Adventureland.

I remember falling asleep to the sounds of cocktail parties or poker nites, my mom always having the newest releases for the big Zenith. The exotic percussions perhaps leading me to drum. I also became an artist and with expensive degree in hand I waved goodbye to everyone I knew and drove to the middle of the desert on a whim.

Living and working along an eerily intact neon Route 66... AD for alterna-weekly, vintage vinyl "countersnob", gallery curator, musician. It seems surreal now but it's a dry surreal. A trip to La Jolla was just what the doctor ordered. Never looked east again.

I now carve tikis on the beach and try to support other poly pop influenced arists. I dig googie and words like dig . -Hodaddy

N.U.Mod
Modern Fan

Thrilled to be in the company of like-minded folk!!

Postby N.U.Mod » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:38 am

Hi, my name is Karen Harris and new to the group. I have a degree in architecture and spent most of my career in Contract Interiors. Have been expanding my horizons to product design, though, most recently -- primarily in the home fashions arena. Find the articles and discussions on this site highly stimulating. Spent most of my career in the Wash DC Metro area but have relocated to Akron, OH. Akron is a little "stylisitically challenged" but managed to find a great mid-century "very Brady" abode!! Will visit often to keep my creative juices flowing and shake things up around here a bit. Nice to meet all of you!

BAZ_MCM
Modern Master

Re: Thrilled to be in the company of like-minded folk!!

Postby BAZ_MCM » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:27 am

N.U.Mod wrote:Hi, my name is Karen Harris and new to the group. I have a degree in architecture and spent most of my career in Contract Interiors. Have been expanding my horizons to product design, though, most recently -- primarily in the home fashions arena. Find the articles and discussions on this site highly stimulating. Spent most of my career in the Wash DC Metro area but have relocated to Akron, OH. Akron is a little "stylisitically challenged" but managed to find a great mid-century "very Brady" abode!! Will visit often to keep my creative juices flowing and shake things up around here a bit. Nice to meet all of you!

Karen,

I live in Indianapolis but have family in Akron. I'd be interested to see the product design concepts you're working on.

Cheers,

-Baz
Mid Century Modernizing the modern world: http://atomicindy.com/

N.U.Mod
Modern Fan

Re: Thrilled to be in the company of like-minded folk!!

Postby N.U.Mod » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:53 am

BAZ_MCM wrote:I live in Indianapolis but have family in Akron. I'd be interested to see the product design concepts you're working on.

Baz,

Thanks for your inquiry! I have included my website that has some product concepts under services/product design. I currently have a line of DeStijl inspired color-block pillows on sale in my eBay store. Joining the home furnishings market has been interesting. When I started my journey and research into the field, industry insiders said that "contemporary" is only 15% percent of the market--go more mainstream. I say "Yawn" to that!! My passion for modern won't allow that!! :D I am currently sourcing alternatives to produce a very cool magazine rack and some new very interesting pillow ideas! Wish me luck!

Best Regards,

Karen

graeme
Modern Groupie

Checking in from Glendale, CA

Postby graeme » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Hello everybody. My name is Graeme and I’ve been a mid-century modern fan from a time before they had a name for it. My dad was a “modernâ€￾ architect who designed homes in the suburbs just south of San Francisco during the ‘50’s through the ‘70’s. I more or less grew up around drafting tables, woodshops and job sites. As a kid I just figured everybody lived in an amazing Schindler type home. Years later I came to understand that my dad was an undiscovered architectural master of sorts, so I dug up his blueprints, tracked down all his creations that were still standing, photographed them, and built a website.

Please have a look. http://williamwhifler.com/

Yes, I love mid-century modern, and good contemporary modern too although it’s painfully rare. I’m a writer/director living in Glendale, CA, and my home is MCM of course.

Below are a few shots of my dad’s work.

William A Whifler - Architect: http://williamwhifler.com/
My Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/whifler

N.U.Mod
Modern Fan

Re: Checking in from Glendale, CA

Postby N.U.Mod » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:13 pm

Graeme,

Welcome to the site! I am a newbie as well. Truer words were never spoken concerning your father's...I don't want to say "work"...let's say legacy. I checked out your website and photo galleries. While it is apparent who and what some of his influences were, he had the amazing ability to truly make his work his own and seemed to enjoy the "study" of not only what we live in but HOW we live. One of the things that struck me is how timeless his materials and geometries seem to be. I have seen so many traditional dwellings that can house mid-century furnishings but many times the reverse is an odd combination. I did not feel that way in his dwellings. The ones with very traditional furnishings still seemed to work somehow. Pride is probably a true understatement for how you feel. I have seen some not so well known architects published and have a couple in my collection. Hopefully, your father will receive that honor. I wish I was publisher. I would see to it myself!! :D

graeme
Modern Groupie

What a great welcome.

Postby graeme » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:15 pm

Karen,

Thanks so much for your kind words, you really touched me. From your spot on comments I know you have a keen eye, and knowledge, and taste in architecture and art. Mid-century is so cool, it was an era where people drank and smoked to excess, didn’t have seat belts, dressed in suits and ties, and put men on the moon. It was a time of creative explosion. When we were small, our dad would pile us into the station wagon and take us on a tour of the new houses going up in the neighborhood. Ninety-nine percent of the time his comment on the new structure would be, “There’s another dingbat kids.â€￾ He used to tell us that people didn’t have differing tastes, they had differing levels of good and bad taste. And your mention of publishing, yes, that’s my dream. But it’s a race against time, many of his houses are being torn down because they look “old fashionedâ€￾.

Graeme
William A Whifler - Architect: http://williamwhifler.com/

My Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/whifler

midcenturystylemag
Modern Groupie

Hey everone!

Postby midcenturystylemag » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:39 am

Hi there!
I've been lurking on "Lotta Livin" for forever, but finally got in the mood to post. I run http://www.midcenturystyle.net which also features a blog about our Mid-Century (not particularly modern) house:
http://www.midcenturystyle.net/wordpress

I have a lot of fun hunting out ways to combine old and new and preserve and honor the 50's style - we're not particularly "mod" - just like the 50's styles!

Anyway, glad to pull out of lurkdom!
Mary-Frances Main
Mid-Century Style site: http://www.midcenturystyle.net

ping
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby ping » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. My wife and I just purchased a Mid century in Los angeles and we are looking for renovation help. The house is in original condition. I need Contractors , Inspectors , Subs all skilled at working on this style house. If anyone has any recommendations we would love the help. ***
Ping

creede
Modern Groupie

Postby creede » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Hello everyone, I'm a modern design lover in Salt Lake City, Utah. I have been into modern design for a while now and my appreciation for Mid Century style just keeps on getting stronger. I look forward to being on the forums here, learning more, and hopefully connecting with some locals.
Check out my affordable modern blog http://grassrootsmodern.com
If your in Utah, then http://utahmodern.org is the place to be!

Love MCM
Modern Groupie

Hello Everyone!

Postby Love MCM » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:20 pm

I live in LA & when as a child I saw the "House of the Future" in Tomorrowland at Disneyland....I was hooked, I've been a fan of all things "modern" ever since.

I have also been a fan of Lotta Livin' for years although from afar but as I hope to buy a MCM house this year I am ready to commit!

lantanatx
Modern Groupie

Postby lantanatx » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Hi!

I have a 1955 "atomic" ranch in a small town in South Texas. I have lots of orginal mid-century furniture and decor from my folks (Eames, Knoll, Franciscan Starburst etc) as well. I pulled up nasty carpet and found orginal cork floors that I refinished (yes you can refinish cork!). Slowly doing some more work on the house as I can.

Alice

karin
Modern Groupie

Hello!

Postby karin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi, my name is Karin. I'm in central Kentucky. Bet you don't have many Kentuckians posting on here! I just started a blog about my mid century obsession at http://karin-croutons.blogspot.com/. Please visit. I feel very lonely here in KY with everyone surrounding me with their country/shabby chic decor! :roll:

Las Cruces Mod
Modern Fan

Postby Las Cruces Mod » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for way to long, time to start contributing. My name is Neal. For the last 20 years I've owned a custom woodworking and design business. Before that I designed machinery and tooling for a couple of different companies. We bought our Cliff May clone in southern New Mexico 2 years ago. I'll be posting pictures in the near future. Thanks for this forum to exchange ideas.
Build it to last.

googiecat
Modern Groupie

Hi

Postby googiecat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:42 am

Hi all. I just joined and have already spent more time than I can afford browsing this great board! I'm the webmaster at http://www.racquetclubestates.com . I also joined to push our Mid-Century Modern Homes Tour over on the events board. It's Feb. 14'th. If you're in Palm Springs you can check out our Alexanders, Meselmans, and our Steel House. We're working real hard to bring our hood back to it's 1959 glory!

Susie-O
Modern Groupie

Hello

Postby Susie-O » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I'm very excited because we are about to close on a one-of-a-kind 1957 original-owner, custom built home. It's in amazing shape, so all we really have to do is get ready to paint and decorate! This picture doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea.... Plus, we've got almost 2 acres with it, and a bonus building which will someday be our tiki lounge!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:17 am

a tiki lounge on 2 acres... nice!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”