New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:19 am

hey googiecat, I like your raquet club site. it was useful when I stayed in the raquet club on vacation last year. look forward to it again!

welcome

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Hello!

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:22 am

karin wrote:Hi, my name is Karin. I'm in central Kentucky. Bet you don't have many Kentuckians posting on here! I just started a blog about my mid century obsession at http://karin-croutons.blogspot.com/. Please visit. I feel very lonely here in KY with everyone surrounding me with their country/shabby chic decor! :roll:

I like croutons! hey nice art. kentucky is beautiful. lots of grass and white fences... and horses... and tobacco... and bourbon.

welcome to LL

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:23 am

Las Cruces Mod wrote:Hi everyone. I've been lurking for way to long, time to start contributing. My name is Neal. For the last 20 years I've owned a custom woodworking and design business. Before that I designed machinery and tooling for a couple of different companies. We bought our Cliff May clone in southern New Mexico 2 years ago. I'll be posting pictures in the near future. Thanks for this forum to exchange ideas.

cliff may clone? post up some pics, my friend. let's have a looksee

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:25 am

lantanatx wrote:Hi!

I have a 1955 "atomic" ranch in a small town in South Texas. I have lots of orginal mid-century furniture and decor from my folks (Eames, Knoll, Franciscan Starburst etc) as well. I pulled up nasty carpet and found orginal cork floors that I refinished (yes you can refinish cork!). Slowly doing some more work on the house as I can.

Alice

an 1955 atomic ranch with cork?! sounds great. post up some pics in the home forum. My atomic ranch is also 1955. a good year for design!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Hello Everyone!

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:27 am

Love MCM wrote:I live in LA & when as a child I saw the "House of the Future" in Tomorrowland at Disneyland....I was hooked, I've been a fan of all things "modern" ever since.

I have also been a fan of Lotta Livin' for years although from afar but as I hope to buy a MCM house this year I am ready to commit!

welcome! in today's market, prices are getting better. did you see the one in pasadena for 599K check it out!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Checking in from Glendale, CA

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 am

graeme wrote:Hello everybody. My name is Graeme and I’ve been a mid-century modern fan from a time before they had a name for it. ...

me too! I remember actually saying Mid-century Modern the first few times as a new name. it needed one because everyone was all over the place.

I would say we are about 15 years into a MCM revival.

the modmother
Modern Groupie

hello

Postby the modmother » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:47 pm

Hello! My name is Lisa. I'm originally from Philadelphia, but I live in Salt Lake City. As a kid, I loved watching the Jetsons and daydreaming about what it would be like to live in a real life Orbit City. What a great site!

esl
Modern Fan

Hello

Postby esl » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:26 pm

What a great site. I have had an interest in MCM architecture, furniture, etc. going back to my childhood where I grew-up in Phoenix(though I was born in Japan - father was in the Air Force) during the mid-sixties to mid-eighties. Phoenix was so ripe with examples of modernity.

My interest in mid-century started at a young age. Many of my friends lived in very modern style houses. We tended to live in sprawling ranch houses, but my parents were die-hard subscribers to Sunset magazine and its various other publications. They were constantly incorporating ideas from Sunset into our house and yard. I loved to just go through those books, especially those with floor plans of modern style houses and designs for patios and back-yard entertaining ideas. The last house my family lived in was in a small area of about three dozen houses called Cudia City estates – off of 40th street, just north of Camelback. There are several great examples of mid-century modern homes in that subdivision alone and I have been in all of them.

I attended Arcadia High School near Scottsdale. The main part of the campus was a circular bi-level building surrounding a large grassy area. In the center of that was the library. It was off the ground, supported by large I-beams and looked like some space ship that had landed from a cheesy 50’s sci-fi film. Unfortunately, most of the original campus was demolished a few years ago, according to a newspaper article that my mother sent me. I would especially love hear from those who lived or now live in Phoenix – do you know if the Cine Capri movie theatre at 24th and Camelback is still there?

searllamasterhowe
Modern Groupie

hello from Searl Lamaster Howe

Postby searllamasterhowe » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:56 am

Hello,
I just joined the group, recommended to me by Atomic Ranch.[/u]
Pam Lamaster-Millett at:
Searl Lamaster Howe Architects
Looking for and creating Modern Residential and Commercial spaces

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:33 am

"do you know if the Cine Capri movie theatre at 24th and Camelback is still there?"

Sadly, ESL, according to Cinema Treasures the Cine Capri was demolished.

esl
Modern Fan

Postby esl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:49 am

Gnomus wrote:"do you know if the Cine Capri movie theatre at 24th and Camelback is still there?"

Sadly, ESL, according to Cinema Treasures the Cine Capri was demolished.

So sad. So much MCM (commercial) architecture in Phoenix is gone - to be replaced by drab, inoffensive (and therefore undesindguished) design.

jaebert
Modern Groupie

New hello, from old member architectural appraiser

Postby jaebert » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:47 am

Hello, all,
I have been fortunate to assist dozens of folks with valuing their historical/architectural homes, throughout California, even as far away as Denver ( Sleeper house), Chicago (Gold Coast Art Deco) and Puerto Rico. With the changes in the financial world upsetting many plans, maybe I can answer some questions publically, or otherwise, and share some experiences I have had.
Example: Q: Will banks refi architectural homes?
A: Yes, but it depends on the bank. The big national ones don't care about design, only about what looks good on the books, ie, plain tract homes with simple to reproduce values.
Q: So what do I do about refi-ing my Eichler?
A: .......
thanks to all. James

dfab
Modern Groupie

Hello!

Postby dfab » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a freelance photographer working on a book of Palm Springs architecture. I live in New York City but fell in love with Palm Springs years ago on my first visit. I'm going back soon to finish this series, http://www.dollydigital.com/ps1.

I'm really ecstatic to have come across a messageboard like this. I look forward to meeting some new people, sharing our interests, and learning some valuable information. Nice to meet you all!

copocabana
Modern Groupie

I'm here and you're there

Postby copocabana » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 pm

I admire the Jetson's and really like those Devo hats...but what really got me here was my admiration of Nick Nolte in "Mulholland Falls"

dannythekid
Modern Groupie

Postby dannythekid » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:42 am

Sorry I made a new thread instead of posting here.
Dan -- Pittsburgh, PA

Dog Mom of Five
Modern Groupie

Greetings from Oklahoma

Postby Dog Mom of Five » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:03 pm

I became a memeber last week and just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I really like this forum - has a lot of useful information :)

RBLA
Modern Groupie

New to Lotta Livin' - just saying Hello!

Postby RBLA » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi, I'm Randy and I'm happy to join this group! I'm a native New Yorker, now a mad mod collector in a mid-century Westside LA house and always looking for more information and more good stuff! I know I've been a visitor to your GREAT site before. This gal is finally jumping in!

I wanted to tell you all that I will be hosting, outside at my house, an exciting mid-century estate sale/gift sale/yard sale on May 2. I am NOT a dealer. It's just a one-time thing helping a friend with a houseful of stuff left in the family estate...and I'm selling off some of my own stuff too.

I see y'all have a proper place for posting those notices and I will put the links and info there, I promise. I'm getting together a photo album so you can see samples. Lots of nice Mothers Day gifts (mid-century & not), Eames chair, teak furniture, Brastoff pottery etc. Will post by this weekend.

Ok, I've rambled enough & don't want to wear out my welcome on my very first post! Looking forward to chatting with you all, probably after May 2, that is. Cause I kinda have a HUGE sale to prepare for...(oh, and a real job I have to do too!)

Randy

WillyWanker
Modern Groupie

Postby WillyWanker » Mon May 18, 2009 5:01 am

Hello, My name is WillyWanker and I will soon be living in Palm Springs, California where I am restoring a Val Powelson house built for Robert Marx. It's a mid~century modern house and it's taking up all of my time, money and energy but I am loving it. I also have a modernist lighting business and I love everything related to Modernizm.

HB Dave
Modern Groupie

Hi I am new

Postby HB Dave » Fri May 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Hello, I really like this forum. Lots of great information about Cliff May homes. (Which I am thinking about trying to buy, someday)

Dave

MODBUILDER
Modern Groupie

Postby MODBUILDER » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Hello, I am a modern home builder here in Atlanta Georgia. But, my wife and I really want to find a MCM sitting on an acre or two and customize it to our needs.

Check out my websites below to see what I do. Our LEED home may be of some interst to you guys. I hope to start on a modern update to a really cool MCM house in the next few weeks. If it gets going I'll post pics as it goes on...

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:49 am

Helloooooooooooo! :D

Call me Giovanni, Gio, or Butt-Face. I'm without a doubt the youngest(14) and most immature on this forum. I'm obsessed with the mid-century/atomic era *** . I spend my days browsing through "vintage" stuff on craigslist.

I hope to become a regular here...it seems like preeeeeeety a nice place..(not too active though......)

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:11 am

Butt-Face, MODBUILDER, HB Dave, WillyWanker, RBLA, Dog Mom of Five, dannythekid, copocabana, dfab, jaebert, esl, Gnomus, searllamasterhowe, the modmother...

WELCOME! nice to see new folks logging on the Lotta Livin!

great photos, dolly!

james, your questions are best for a mortgage broker. should be no problem refinancing your eichler.

willy, I have thought of moving to palm springs too. it's my vacation destination

HB Dave. see my flickr site. more cliff may than you can shake a stick at. I saw a decent CM fixer in Garden Grove for $250K. if you hav a job, it's a good to buy!

Butt-face, I think I like Giovanni better. Italian, like my scooters!

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:29 pm

Butt-Face wrote:I'm without a doubt the youngest(14) and most immature on this forum.

That's quite a statement, B-F. I may be more than three times your age, but I also have a long record of immaturity on the board. (Although I suppose it could just be the Benjamin Button effect.)

Anyway, welcome, B-F. One thing the board really needed is fresh blood that can talk scooters to Joe.

Butt-Face
Modern Socialite

Postby Butt-Face » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Its funny you mentioned that. I just recently hooked my father up with vespa for $2000. I'm not sure the exact model...... its from 1959 or 60..

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:07 pm

BF, we have a transportation forum with an ongoing scooter thread. I suggest you post some photos there. I have a 1959 Vespa VBA, 1958 Vespa GS, and a 1964 Vespa GS, btw

Tiggertots
Modern Groupie

Postby Tiggertots » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi!

I've lived in Orange County, CA nearly all of my life, but we're moving to Visalia in 11 days.

We've found a modern style home built in 1974. I am trying to find more information on the architect, builder, etc.

We plan to stay true to the house's bones, but not to go full-on retro (although I do love full-on retro!)

Here in OC we have a 1959 ranch style home on 1/2 acre, and it is constantly having issues, and the lot is a bear to keep up. I went looking for a McHouse, 2 story new build, new area, smallish lot, etc. I fell in love with this 1974 single story home on 1/2 acre. Go figure, right?

sky

Postby sky » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Your lot has a bear? Well, no wonder you're moving.

Welcome to Lotta Living, Tiggertots. What does your name mean?

Tiggertots
Modern Groupie

Postby Tiggertots » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:36 pm

Bears are scary.

My name is one I use elsewhere, too. My teenaged hippe mom wanted to name me Tigerlily, but the nurses at the hospital convinced her it was a terrible idea should I ever want to run a huge company or join the military or something. As it is, I am a housewife. She's always called me Tiger or Tig anyhow.

Tiggertots is a nickname given to me by a dear friend on the internet in the early 1990s. I like it, and use it as a screen name often.

Just to clarify, this house would be considered modern although built in 1974, correct? It reminds me of the Swiss Miss houses in Palm Springs, but the roof to the side is gabled, not flat. I don't know who built it. The selling realtor is supposed to get back to me on that. I didn't buy it because I thought anyone cool built it. I bought it because I like it, LOL!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Tiggertots wrote: I bought it because I like it, LOL!

that's a good reason. :idea:

sky

Postby sky » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:35 am

Tiggertots wrote:Bears are scary.

I suppose you think Pooh Bear is scary then.

I love the "Tigerlily" story, which of course would have been better than "Moonbeam." I wonder why they didn't go with just "Lily," which is a very pretty name. Or maybe they did - you didn't really say.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”