New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

savannah modern
Modern Groupie

New From Savannah Georgia

Postby savannah modern » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:17 pm

Yes, Savannah. You read it correctly. Though we're famous for our city plan and our Victorian Architecture, there are plenty of great Mid Century homes, buildings and neighborhoods here in town. I would like to help give them the notoriety they deserve so that the next time you are in Savannah you won't only be thinking of the Oglethorpe Plan and William Jay.

Besides Drayton Tower (Savannah's International Style skyscraper, which has seen a recent restoration, though the elevators are still quite scary) I would say the work of Daniel Grantham and Carl Helfrich are some of the nicer examples of the style (which Daniel referred to as Florida Style).

About me:

I am a designer working on my architecture licensure. I also help out at the Georgia Historical Society with the identification and archiving of their architecture collection (which is filled with some really great MCM renderings and construction drawings).
Last edited by savannah modern on Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:51 pm

I suspect that many around the country, including me, know Savannah for the peculiarities detailed in "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." So, S.M., does any of that ring true, or is it pure fiction?

jmarellano
Modern Groupie

Postby jmarellano » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi Everyone. Jeff here. I've been a frequent reader for years, but just registered today.

rightintwo
Modern Groupie

Postby rightintwo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:11 am

Hello! I am so glad to find the forum, now to read it all before I start asking tons of questions.

I have loved MCM furniture and architecture for years but just moved from my split entry shoebox to a 1954 butterfly in SLC. Thanks in advance for all the advice and great ideas I will certainly get around here.

Save_the_Kratka_Single
Modern Groupie

Greetings

Postby Save_the_Kratka_Single » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Found out about you kind folks through the LA Conservancy. I'm a chairlift geek, and I'm here to proselytize about saving the single-person chairlift at Kratka Ridge. There are only two single-person chairlifts still in operation in the U.S..

Can I get an "Amen!"?

Cheers and well met.

LVSwingsTheThing
Modern Groupie

new

Postby LVSwingsTheThing » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:20 am

Hello all, My name Is Kyle.. I'm just a dancin kid who too often ends up spending my time and money in Vegas' old bars.. that is, when I'm not hunting for more glassware at Savers.
I don't care if the sun don't shine. I do my drinkin in the evening time, when I'm in Las Vegas...

Re-Modern
Modern Fan

New Member Here...

Postby Re-Modern » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:02 pm

Hey guys. My name is Gary and I just bought a Cliff May Rancho in Long Beach, CA. I'm a huge fan of MCM and have been visiting this site for research, ideas and inspiration for quite a while. I finally felt it was time to register and become a member.

Looking forward to meeting and interacting with all of you!

gary - - -

missyb
Modern Groupie

Postby missyb » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Howdy, I'm Missy and I pop by ModCom meetings when I can.

I always look exhausted. That's probably because I am always exhausted. (Strange how that works.)

When I'm not thinking about how darned exhausted I am, I think about coffee shops. No, really, that's what I think about. And that's how I find myself here...

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:54 am

Hello, my name is Vanessa. I've been reading these boards on and off since 2005 and finally registered. Closing on a Cliff May soon so figured it was time!

sky

Postby sky » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:35 pm

What's up (no pun intended) with your avatar Vanessa? What's that all about?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:23 pm

let's see...
AMEN!!!

so cool - we gotta couple of new cliff may fans! welcome aboard!

kyle - savers is THE best thrift store chain i have ever been to!

missyb - what about car washes?!?!?! and sparkles of cleanliness!

welcome one and all...
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:41 am

We do seem to have quite a boon of new members closing on their homes these days... Glad to see that restoration is keeping up, even though the economy is down!
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:08 am

sky wrote:What's up (no pun intended) with your avatar Vanessa? What's that all about?

I found that sign when I was riding my bicycle down a small street in Kyoto. It's for a mom and pop restaurant.

Side note--it's hard to find 7-Up/Dr. Pepper sodas in Japan.

P.S.
Here's the full size picture if you'd like to see it (it's a mobile phone picture so not very good)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1403/1401667538_75daa3ea50_o.jpg

KAdams4458
Modern Groupie

Postby KAdams4458 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi. Got room in here for one more? I've been poking around here for a few years now, and figured it was about time that I registered.

My wife and I purchased our first home about a year ago. We both love MCM stuff, but after looking at over 100 homes in person, and probably thousands on the Internet, we never found anything really MCM within our budget that wasn't rotten to the bone, in a bad neighbourhood, or had not been put through the flag lot treatment and suffered from having a McMansion looming over it from the back yard.

Eventually we bought a rambler, ranch, or whatever you wanna call it. Sometimes you have to compromise, and it was either buy this house, or lose our financing opportunity. Anyway, it was built in '65, and does have nice lines and proportions, even if it has been assaulted with some awful doors and cheap carpet.

I don't know that we'll ever be able to do much more than strip it of the hideous Home Depot/Lowe's insults that have been thrown at it by the previous owner, but we're trying.

rogerT
Modern Fan

Postby rogerT » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Hello folks,

Joe Barthlow pointed me over here a few days ago during a discussion we were having on a Cliff May renovation I have underway. I've been poking around for a few days and it has proven to be a great resource. Thank you to everyone for that.

Decided I should register and make it official since I have a new neighbor moving in down the street (Casa View Oaks in Dallas). I look forward to meeting you Vanessa

Regards,
Roger

Van
Modern Master

Postby Van » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 am

Hi Roger!

I'll be moving in probably in the next couple of weeks. Look forward to meeting you!

Do you have any pictures of your restoration?

rocketman
Modern Fan

Postby rocketman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:30 am

I've been lurking on Lotta Livin' for a while and thought it was time I signed on. I'm an advertising art director and collect 50s furniture, toys and 16mm films. Have been a member of the LA Conservancy and enjoyed their tours for many years. My wife and I are about to celebrate our one-year anniversary and still looking for our first MCM home here in Los Angeles. Glad to see so many like minded MCM fans in one place!

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Re-introduction ( a mini autobiography)

Postby scottkaycee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:16 am

Hello, I am not a newbie, but my posts are rather infrequent(and subject to large time gaps) so I thought it might be a good idea to reintroduce myself to the group.

I am a modernist afficiando living in Washington DC, where I work with a big architecture and engineering firm that does support work for postal facilities.

Once upon a time I was a kid from the Inland Empire of Southern California. I studied architecture at Cal Poly, Pomona from 1995-2002(including an internship at the Neutra VDL house), where I recieved my Bachelor of Architecture degree. I followed the whims of the turn of the century real estate/construction roller coaster first in residential, till that slowed, then in commercial til that tanked, so now I am giving government a go. Thank you Great Recession!

I bounced around SoCal, working alternately in Pomona, Rancho Cucamonga, Palm Springs(working on what I call in a tongue in cheek manner "Mid-Century Modernist Revival" houses in Desert Hot Springs), and West Covina, along the way I lived in Rialto, Alta Loma(including a treasured stint as a live in caretaker of a John Lautner house; a highlight of my life), Highland and Whittier and have ended up here in D.C.

DC has alot of great architecture including some real modern gems, but I miss California, and my homesickness is what motivated me to reintroduce myself. I love modernism, have been lucky enough to practice it a few times, and have alway enjoyed reading everyones posts(occacionaly I'd respond, although 148 posts in almost 7 years is a bit anemic) I am grateful for the pleasure this board has given me over the years and of course to the people responsible for keeping it going, thank you very much.
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

modfan

So

Postby modfan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:59 am

Been to Hollin Hills yet?

I'm surprised that palm trees and hibiscus grow in the DC area.
I even think there's a bunch of banana trees planted by the Nat'l Air & Space Museum.

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:58 am

I havent been to Hollin Hills yet, but I have been through some of the other "California Modern" clusters towards Falls Church. It's a modest, woodsy post and beam modern you find here. I have yet to notice many real palm trees, but I have seen some fake neon ones. The tree canopy here is remarkable though, green as far as the eye can see. This is the first time I have been to the East Coast, it's quite different from what I am used too.

I live in SE Washington, real close to SW which has a lot of cool "Urban Renewal" era stuff. The neighborhood I am at is new, it's around the Nationals baseball stadium (gonna try to go to a Dodger game tonite!)and the buildings are done in a modernist vein.
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

xquisite
Modern Groupie

Atomic Down Under

Postby xquisite » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi there, another longtime lurker here from Australia. This place is great! We currently have a ranch style house & have just bought a bigger one which we're turning into our dream house when we fionally move in next year. When I find the right place I'll post some pics of what it looks like now. I'm sure I'll get a heap of ideas from this board on what to do with the place. :cheers:

sky

Re: Atomic Down Under

Postby sky » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

(I'm sorry, I had to.) Welcome to Lotta Living xquisite, and g'day.

xquisite wrote:Hi there, another longtime lurker here from Australia. This place is great! We currently have a ranch style house & have just bought a bigger one which we're turning into our dream house when we fionally move in next year. When I find the right place I'll post some pics of what it looks like now. I'm sure I'll get a heap of ideas from this board on what to do with the place. :cheers:

xquisite
Modern Groupie

Postby xquisite » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:07 pm

sky wrote:Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!

(I'm sorry, I had to.) Welcome to Lotta Living xquisite, and g'day.

No apology necessary, Sky. G'day to you, too. I had no idea that you would even know that chant over there!

sky

Postby sky » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:20 am

xquisite wrote:No apology necessary, Sky. G'day to you, too. I had no idea that you would even know that chant over there!

xquisite! That's not the proper response, which calls into question your authenticity.

We know these things, up over, and some of us take them very seriously. But being fair and reasonable people in the hemisphere where toilet water flows clockwise, we're more than willing to give you a second chance. We'll even make it a multiple choice. If you were really Australian you should have responded:

A. Crikey.
B. Oy Vey.
C. Oy, Oy, Oy. *
D. Put another shrimp on the barbie.
E. None of the above.

Alternatively, or for extra credit, please explain the words to "Waltzing Matilda."

* Or Oi, Oi, Oi, or Hoy, Hoy, Hoy because half the time we can't figure out what language you're speaking anyway.

xquisite
Modern Groupie

Postby xquisite » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:50 pm

sky wrote:
...If you were really Australian you should have responded:

A. Crikey.
B. Oy Vey.
C. Oy, Oy, Oy. *
D. Put another shrimp on the barbie.
E. None of the above.

Alternatively, or for extra credit, please explain the words to "Waltzing Matilda."

* Or Oi, Oi, Oi, or Hoy, Hoy, Hoy because half the time we can't figure out what language you're speaking anyway.

Well the correct answer to that is
A. Crikey!

If you were an Aussie you would know that it's grammatically incorrect for the word to appear without an exclamation mark (which I believe in the US is called an "exclamation point"?) :)

Only in small areas of Australia would Oy Vey be a correct response, such as in an area of Melbourne around Caulfield (famous for its MCM houses, actually!)

LOL at "Hoy, Hoy, Hoy." "Oi" is the correct "word," and I use that term loosely. Then again, any other Aussies reading this will appreciate the irony of referring to words that are not words when talking to an American. :P

Kristinamarina
Modern Groupie

Postby Kristinamarina » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:14 am

Hello, all!

I'm really excited to check out all the wonderfulness I'll surely find in these forums. I'm new to mid century pieces, but it's all so beautiful! Glad to find other likeminded souls :)
Visit my crafting blog!
www.whatthestitch.wordpress.com

houseplant
Modern Groupie

new from sandy Long Beach, CA

Postby houseplant » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:18 am

This is Kurt...for seven years, I've operated a pseudo-artsy website called Houseplant Picture Studio - if you dig deep enough you'll find old photo album photos, found photos, photos of local buildings, streets, graffiti, basic art and some music posts.

I take lots of walks and enjoy looking at anything and everything that happens to cross my line of sight. Lately I've been fascinated by the large number of small office spaces and storefronts that have been closing over the past 18 months in my city. At least here in Long Beach, there are FOR LEASE and FOR RENT signs in about one or two spaces per block. So many have been empty for months

I'm wondering what it'll take to re-fill these empty retail spaces or if this will even be possible

ModCom is the greatest, and of course it's a big bright beacon of hope in an often grey architectural world - saving pretty buildings is a more than honorable avocation and I enjoy reading about current projects and looking for ways I can participate
it's not whether you win or lose,
it's how much team merchandise you sell

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks for the nice words about ModCom. We're out there every day fighting for this stuff. I've stumbled onto your site a few times. Great stuff. Be sure to come to our holiday party this year. Maybe you can find a building to adopt. We're pretty thin in Long Beach... THX

johnrobs
Modern Groupie

hello

Postby johnrobs » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:03 am

hello members i am new here..my name is john..
=================
john

blissing
Modern Groupie

New here, hello!

Postby blissing » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi there, I'm blissing, and I own a mid-century home in Oakland, CA. Of course, I will be starting a blog about it soon. I grew up in a MC home and just love them. Thanks.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”