New members say HELLO here...

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:33 pm

hi blissing - when you start your blog - please post a link to it on our blog thread.

welcome aboard.
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

synthsis
Modern Groupie

Postby synthsis » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Longtime lurker, new member. I'm recently unemployed so it gives me more time to delve into my interests and hobbies. I tend to be very active on the boards I'm a member of so look out for lots of posts!
I'm unemployed, follow my shenanigans here:
newfoundfreetime.blogspot.com

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Welcome to the board, synthsis, and congratulations to you and Nikki! ( See synthsis' post in the Wildwood thread.) How was your So. Cal. trip?

synthsis
Modern Groupie

Postby synthsis » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:57 am

sky wrote:Welcome to the board, synthsis, and congratulations to you and Nikki! ( See synthsis' post in the Wildwood thread.) How was your So. Cal. trip?

It wasn't just So Cal, we did over 1000 miles up the coast going from San Diego, to Palm Springs, to La, to San Luis Obispo, then to SanFran. It was a blast. We actually didn't have enough time to do and see everything we wanted to so we're planning on going back. I'll put up a post covering all of the mid-century/vintage locations we hit while we were out there.
I'm unemployed, follow my shenanigans here:

newfoundfreetime.blogspot.com

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:33 pm

i've been a member for a while, but never posted. didn't figure i should till i bought a home. i'm finally posting. my wife and i just bought a home in paradise palms, las vegas. (signed the papers today.)

http://clayheximer.angelfire.com/

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:47 am

Heya heimer (mind if I just call ya hex?),

anyone and everyone can post here that is into MidMod, it's not just for homeowners. We're Sinatra fans, Scooter fans, Saarinen Chair fans, and more...

welcome aboard and big congrats on the new P&K home. hope you will tell us all about it!
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.

If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

heximer
Modern Socialite

Postby heximer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 pm

i get "hex" quite a bit.

veryvintagevegas.com has been doing a great series on paradise palms.

here's a link to the model we're getting.

http://veryvintagevegas.com/2010/02/10/plan-5-the-tri-level-in-paradise-palms-a-mid-century-modern-neighborhood-in-las-vegas/

Tikiville
Modern Groupie

Hello!

Postby Tikiville » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:30 pm

Wow, I have skipped past this site in the past looking for this or that ,now finally the bug has bit and I cant quit as they say ( they,those people ...them)
Well I want to first thank the host for all the work in this site and for the passion to keep it together as well as the members of the group,
And next I want to add a little about myself...Into Tiki,drive a 1963 Thunderbird,play in a couple bands, carve,paint,photograph bla bla bla
This site has my heart raceing!
I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada and there is little to nothing left here ! lol
The world I saw growing up that I found so facinating and colorful had dissapeared ,that is until I got off the plane in LA!
You really have a gold mine there and the fact that there is a passion to save/restore it has a standing ovation from me thats for sure.
Hopefully I can contribute in some way in the future to this whole thing ,until then Thank you , Mahalo and bless you !
Paul TIKIVILLE Balanchuk
somebody hit rewind.....

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Postby wideimaging » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Howdy, I found this board after entering the L.A. Conservancy Sixties Turn 50 Flickrpool contest, which I happened upon when looking for Welton Becket Info.
I moved to LA in 1990 and live in a house that used to be in Playa Del Rey in a section that has been referred to as a ghost town. When LAX expanded this area was taken over by eminent domain between 1966-1972. Most of the 822 homes were demolished, only the streets, retaining walls and assorted traces remain, they have been fenced off for over 35 years. Here is a typical sidewalk that has not seen a foot since the late 1960s:

shisha1999
Modern Groupie

Postby shisha1999 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Hello,

Just registered to the forum and saying hello. I was wondering if there are any "How Modern Was My Valley" books available? Also, how do you perform a search on this forum? And lastly, where are the Alexander Homes in Northridge located?

Thanks,

Al

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Welcome, Shisha!

Re: How modern was my valley, it's been sold out for years, sorry. You can borrow mine if you like.

Re: searching, see below

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:21 pm

This dealer has had copies of our ModCom tour booklets in the past.

MODERN-ISM
Bookseller specializing in Design, Modern Architecture, Modern Art, Modern First Editions, Modern Furniture, Photography, Poetry
E-mail address: jocrosse@ca.rr.com
Phone number: 310-301-6339
modern-ISM
6333 Esplanade
Playa Del Rey , California 90293 United States

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:54 am

The search here is really broken. It is difficult, if not impossible, to get it to narrow results. Whenever I try to point a poster to an old thread, I often have to search by username rather than subject. Only because I kind of remember a user posting something. For example, try searching for:
Alexander+Northridge
and see what you get.

MikeyBoy
Modern Groupie

Re: New members say HELLO here...

Postby MikeyBoy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:39 pm

I don't know why it took me so long to join; I guess because Chris Nichols never mentioned it. I am an avid photographer and architecture is my favorite subject. I write a column for the Los Feliz Ledger and publish "The Silver Lake News". I almost always have my camera with me; hardly a day goes by when I don't take a photo of something. Today while I was in Glendale, I took a few photos of the Vallejo Drive Seventh Day Adventist Church in Glendale. I was able to get into the sanctuary too. I am curious: Does anyone know the architect of this very interesting building? Do you like photos posted on your site?

Michael Locke

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Vallejo Drive Adventist Church was designed by the esteemed Robert J. Burman. Here's a picture I took of Bob up there earlier this year.

clarksdaleplace
Modern Master

Postby clarksdaleplace » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:35 pm

A belated hello to all - new member, just bought a MC dude - looking forward to doing some work on it!!
http://www.clarksdaleplace.blogspot.com[/img]

Baron von Swankenstein
Modern Groupie

The Evil of Baron von Swankenstein

Postby Baron von Swankenstein » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Greetings! Baron von Swankenstein here.

I came to the lounge & mid-century retro scenes by an odd circuitous route. At first, I'd been peripherally aware of it by way of a friend's Tiki hobby. But he never put it any kind of context (historical or otherwise) and always seemed to decorate with Party City plastic. Even then, I knew the difference between kitsch, camp, and crap. And so I ignored it at the time.

I became a bit more cognizant by thumbing through a copy of "Tiki Modern" at the bookstore and from some typography catalogs by the graphic design firm House Industries. But, it was only just recently that I began to delve into the Mid-Century.

The three things that really got me to digging into the period are: My enthusiasm for our local drive-in theater, the Starlite Drive-In; a gift of a complete set of "Twilight Zone" DVDs for Christmas (my favorite show!); and, of course, the TV series "Mad Men."

"Mad Men"'s and "Twilight Zone"'s depictions of pre-psychedelic 60s life led me to the internet and the public library for books, initially, on drive-ins. From there, I pursued Space Age graphics and also discovered Mid-Century Modern interior design and architecture (particularly Richard Neutra and the Googie architecture of John Lautner, Wayne McAllister, and Armet & Davis.)

In turn, these pursuits led me to my local library's collection of Capitol Records' Ultra-Lounge series CDs, which made me aware of Space Age Pop and Exotica, which then led me back around to a better understanding of my friend's Tiki enthusiasms and beyond.

In the past six months, I've jumped in with both feet and gone totally nuts with book purchases* and music purchases.** And the magazine subscriptions! Oh, yes, the fantastic magazines! * * *

Of its historical roots, it is the graphic design of period paper ephemera (menus, matchbooks, advertising) that appeals to me most (with Googie and Mid-Century Modern architecture a really close second). My degree is in Graphic Design, so I really enjoy the vintage typography, layouts, and color schemes -- most because they're fantastic and some because they're truly awful.

If my user name wasn't a clue, I'm also a fan of Halloween, comic books, the Goth scene, and horror movies. While I always appreciate the good stuff, the odd stuff also has its appeal and I often like to see that mixed in with the retro and lounge. Call it "Psychotronic," "Drive-In Gothic," or what-have-you. (Hey, it worked for The Cramps ! Now, everyone stand for Joe Bob Briggs' Drive-In Oath.)

Anyway, that's me. If you need me, I'll be in that Eichler castle with the projection room in the dungeon. Ignore the bats. They're friendly.

Baron von Swankenstein
----------
*Tiki Style; Tiki Modern; Googie Redux; The Leisure Architecture of Wayne McAllister; The American Drive-In Movie Theater; The Route 66 Adventure Handbook; The Route 66 Quick Reference Encyclopedia; May I Take Your Order: American Menu Design 1920-1960; Julius Shulman: Modernism Rediscovered;

**Tikiyaki Orchestra, Combustible Edison, Martin Denny, and some Capitol Records Ultra-Lounge CDs.

***Tiki Magazine; Route 66 Magazine; Atomic Ranch; and, my favorite, Bachelor Pad; (so far. Any others out there I should be aware of ?)

CarolAnn
Modern Groupie

Hello!

Postby CarolAnn » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:27 am

Hello!

I am new to this forum and find it very interesting! I discovered it through the Mondo Lounge sight.

I'm into vintage pin-ups and own a pin-up company where we take a picture of a girl and turn it into a WWII hand painted styled image. I'm looking to permanently relocate to Vegas with our company, Bombshell, and also we are looking to link up with vintage clothing owners and antique prop owners as we tour across the country in 2011 bringing our service and product to those interested.

I look forward to being a member of your community! Thank you!
Carol Ann
Bombshells
www.bombshells.info
www.facebook.com/bombshellgirls
913-669-3423

ZenArcher
Modern Groupie

Hello everyone!

Postby ZenArcher » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:09 pm

Been a lurker on this board for quite a while, tho just not lately.

Checked in today and decided to join. Busy time of year what with holidays and all so I will keep it brief. Glad to be in a like-minded group, though when my wife and I were looking at houses we settled on a period one ... the modern ones were too expensive in our neighborhood (North Beach).

Speaking of houses, one of my favorites has come on the market. I'll post it in the Real Estate section (but first I'll check to see if it's already there).

Cheers.
] ZenArcher [

Lonestardiva
Modern Groupie

Greetings!

Postby Lonestardiva » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:31 am

Found this site thru the Atomic Ranch House site and have visted Pam Krueber's "Save the Pink Bathrooms" for years off and on when i needed help or inspiration.
I am planning a webpage/blog for my nearly FOUR year Mid Cen Mod house redo. Bought in '89, lived two years, had to sell on contract as we moved to Dallas... Hubby died in '99, no will.. 6 yr probate... got back.. Resident was a HORDER!!! OMG!
BUT.. now... lived in my 'Real Estate Soul Mate" since Dec. '07 at various stages of rehab and can finally sit down and ENJOY it!
My 'decor' is more New Century Modern, but I tried to keep the theme of 1955 Modern where I could, but in a more modern way. PICS to post in the future.)
Thanks so much for having a wonderful site where we 'MCM' Weirdos can get together!! :):):) (Honestly.. do you understand why some pppl like OTHER stuff????? I don't.. I'm just baffeled ;) ;)

Zara
Modern Groupie

Howdy

Postby Zara » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:21 am

Hi there,

Just registered and wanted to say hello to everyone. I am a fan of MCM architecture and furniture related to the Los Angeles area, as I am a resident.

Best,
Zara

ChicagoBrownLine
Modern Groupie

Hey there from LA via Chicago!

Postby ChicagoBrownLine » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Everyone! Hope I'm doing this right. Just found this great message board!! I'm super fascinated with all things MCM related and am looking forward to learning so much more about it!

I'm inspired by my new(ish) city, Hollywood, it's history, and all the crazies in it - past and present. I'm also a long time lurker on Apartment Therapy, a billion blogs and whatnot. I paint a lot (currently working on a ton of furniture and dinnerware pieces) and my life revolves around improv comedy.

Can't wait to get to know you all and indulge myself in the world of MCM when I know I probably should be doing work! :D

Happy '11! :cheers:

- Allyson

Noah
Modern Groupie

Yo...

Postby Noah » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 pm

Long time lurker - finally decided to join so I can chime in on some good conversations.

N

Ms.MaeMae
Modern Groupie

Postby Ms.MaeMae » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Dear Forum:

I am writing to express my interest in becoming a volunteer or intern.

I recently moved to the Greater L.A. Area to apply to Urban Planning graduate studies programs for Fall 2011. My intended concentration is Urban Design and Development with a focus on cultural programming/preservation.

Now that my applications are completed I am interested in getting involved via volunteering or internships at area organizations focused on historic preservation and community outreach.

I am very interested in the work that the L.A. Conservancy's Modern Committee conducts. Unfortunately, I just missed this month's meeting. I am currently not employed and would be very interested to serve with your team as a regularly scheduled volunteer on week days and/or weekends.

What are the current volunteering opportunities?

Best wishes,

Amalia

Amalia M. Merino
cell: 305-979-1987
Amalia M. Merino

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Amalia, while a lot of folks on this message board are members of Modcom, it does have its own web site at
http://www.modcom.org/

When you go there, note the "Get Involved" tab.
scowsa

brianhinfl
Modern Groupie

Postby brianhinfl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:16 pm

Been a lurker for a while. Learned a ton, "borrowed" a few ideas I've seen for our new home. Looking forward to participating.

Alessi679
Modern Groupie

Postby Alessi679 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:12 pm

I've been checking this forum on and off for years but finally signed up today. My husband and I live in the only Neutra house in Michigan (Grand Rapids). We are the second owners and moved into this place in the fall of 2000 with pretty much EVERYTHING original to the house. We have spent the past 10 years addressing issues such as new roof, windows, deck, and exterior erosion issues.

We have tried to be sensitive in restoring/remodeling the look and feel of our treasure. There have been some design compromises along the way that make me a little sad (Hello Mr. Neutra - Single pane aluminum frame windows just don't work in sub-zero temperatures!) and some straightforward replacements of materials that in no way change the design of the house.

But now we are facing the more decorative part of the renovation: bathrooms, kitchens, exterior stain color, and flooring. We have many questions about restoring our kitchen which is in original condition, quite lovely, and just needs a little TLC. Our bathrooms are hopeless and were not even built to Mr. Neutra's original plans.

I look forward to posting some some specific questions and getting much needed feedback. I can't wait to hear opinions from fellow MCM lovers!

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Welcome!!

If you have been checking LoL for a while you will have probably noticed the first response to someone who wants to talk, and ask, about their home is

Photos please!!!!

If you need any help on posting, or linking to, them, feel free to ask.

Also, I would then use the Mid Century Modern Houses and Homes thread to post future messages.
scowsa

Sidecar
Modern Fan

Finally Joined!

Postby Sidecar » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:36 am

Hi Everyone,

For the past three years or so I've been a regular at ModCom meetings but now that we have a baby I can no longer make it to most meetings. I'm joining the board so I can keep up with ModCom and continue to be an active member.
David Johnson

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Welcome Sidecar,
I assume you know that, while a lot of folks on this message board are members of Modcom, it does have its own web site at
http://www.modcom.org/
scowsa

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”