Carls Jr deserves some love

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
spider
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Carls Jr deserves some love

Postby spider » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:03 pm

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Carls jr

Postby Dustyman73 » Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:09 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:16 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Carls jr

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Thu Mar 27, 2003 10:22 pm

Last edited by I_LUV_POWER!!!! on Fri Mar 28, 2003 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby modfan » Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:03 am

How bout that In & Out Burger in Westwood Village, I think that's kinda cool.

SpudGirl
Modern Master

Postby SpudGirl » Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:04 pm

How about the Norms they built out in Riverside last year? It's pretty neat looking and they have pictures of the old Norms interiors....

Spudgirl

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:16 pm

And I like to hand it to the McDonald's people for bringing the golden arched diners back - I know there was one in vegas... and the one with the speedy neon in hollywood.

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Retro Fast Food

Postby scottkaycee » Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:58 pm

A new Retro Mc Donalds has opened in La Verne , east of San Dimas west of Pomona on Route 66(Foothill Blvd., and Fruit St.) a 2 story playground rests beneath the soaring roofline and golden Arches, It's a half decent copy of the old Stanley Meston design, plus it's actually on Route 66! A horrifically barren stretch, La Verne built it's commercial district on Foothill Blvd. in the 70's/80's somehow a developer managed to build about 1-2 continuous miles of the same shopping center, spanish tile mansard roofs, exposed trellis beams and stacked slump stone concrete block columns, absolutely sickening, the new Mc D's is a welcome change of pace, Unfortunately the inside is a cheasy 50's sock hop motiff

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:24 am

I've spent a lot of time around the Meston McDonald's stores and am really impressed at how much the new arched stores mimic the originals. The one in Vegas is really pretty good. There is a new one on Washington just West of Rosemead, there is a pretty good one in Carson near IKEA. I compare these to the "Classic McDonald's" of the late 1980's (there is one near Ontario on Route 66) that were just horrifying homemade ripoffs. I think we're reaching the end of this as the newest ones seem to be getting larger and losing these more elegant lines that they just picked up.

The "Streamline Moderne" one on Huntington in Monrovia and the new Playland store on Colorado in Glendale both have very nice displays of RARE historic photographs of arched stores.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”