Save the 76 Ball! designer Ray Pedersen "SAVE MY BALLS&

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Kim
Modern Master

Save the 76 Ball! designer Ray Pedersen "SAVE MY BALLS&

Postby Kim » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:59 pm

To: ConocoPhillips

We, the undersigned, as consumers with an abiding fondness for the striking, historic and uniquely Californian blue and orange ball-shaped Union 76 logo, be it on tall metal poles or car antennae (since 1967), hereby call on ConocoPhillips to reconsider their alteration of the 115-year-old brand, to cease replacing spherical blue and orange 76 balls at gas stations with flattened blue and red disks, and to restore the beloved spheres to the poles where they belong.

If ConocoPhillips does not demonstrate greater respect for the the history and goodwill associated with the blue and orange 76 ball, we will be taking our business to other gas sellers. This petition is being launched on January 31, six days after ConocoPhillips posted fourth quarterly earnings of $3.7 Billion, and we call for a sincere response to our concerns before the announcement of their next second quarterly earnings.

To sign the petition:

~ title edited by moderator on 02-12-06

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:53 pm

i know it sounds silly - but i go out of my way to use 76 gas sometimes - because of their branding.

SAVE THE BALL!!!

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:49 pm

I go out of the way to use 76 because I have a 76 gas card :wink:

what's more significant than the ball sign is 76's efforts to design their stations in the '60s to fit in better with residential neighborhoods. I still see several post and beam ranch looking stations with tar and gravel roofs. My station still has the ball.

But the closest 76 ranch station is getting leveled for an office building :(

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Urgent: Need Spanish speaker who loves the 76 Ball

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:45 am

FROM KIM 2-09-06:

--------------------------------

KLYY, a Los Angeles Spanish language radio station, would like to cover the Save the 76 Ball petition on Friday morning's show. If you are a Spanish speaker who feels strongly about saving the historic blue and orange ball, please contact me ASAP and I'll put you in touch with the producer.

I can provide all the talking points you need to feel confident representing your fellow ball-lovers. For more info, and a link to the petition, please see our press release here:
http://explosivepr.blogspot.com/2006/02 ... story.html

Thanks!
Kim
amscray@gmail.com
323-223-2767

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:47 am

FROM KIM 02-13-06
----------------------------------

The Save the 76 Ball petition has reached the attention of Ray Pedersen, the ad exec who created the ball for the Seattle World's Fair. He's shared some amazing vintage photos documenting his unusual hobby of flying around the Southwest in a Beechcraft Bonanza with a 3/4 scale 76 Ball and pole, and setting up photo ops.

Please visit our brand new site www.savethe76ball.com for more, sign the petition... and tell your friends.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

A missive from the Mod Cat in the Hat …

Postby sky » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:45 pm

When the needle points empty on this old car of mine
It drives itself over to the Seventy-Six sign.
So when we read that the old orange ball’s time in through
Well, my old car and I did not know what to do.

How could they replace our loved balls with flat red and blue pucks?
And with such scorn for our history? Well, the very thought sucks.
How could this monster from Texas cause such dismay in LA?
Oh-me-oh, Oh-my-oh, what would Vin Scully say?

But then something went bump.
It bumped from LA to Texas where it made oil folks jump.

Kim Cooper got the ball rolling, with one little petition.
“Restore the beloved spheres,â€￾ it said, or else face our sedition.
And then one signed, then two, and then more came to declare.
Not the Lord, but the Board, you can petition with flare!

And so that’s how it started, from just one person’s druthers.
Saving the orange and blue ball, for all fellow ball lovers.
Although the odds were against us, and our small bag of tricks.
We have yet to strike with the spirit, the Spirit of Seventy-Six.

Let the corporate world beware, they know not what they had.
Don’t mess with our history, and don’t make Kim Cooper mad!

Kim
Modern Master

Postby Kim » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sky, you are the best! I love your poem.

I just posted to DIGG about this petition, asking the musical question "Can the engine that drove the Howard Dean campaign get the public mobilized to save the 76 ball?"

Digg is a very powerful user's choice site, where the more people who say they digg a post, the more people see it. Please consider signing up for digg and clicking that you digg the post below. They are only interested in tech-related stories, but if you can find one, this is a great tool for reaching people.

http://digg.com/software/Can_Drupal_Save_the_76_Ball_

thanks!
Kim

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Kim, I believe Dr. Dean lost his campaign :wink:

I think I understand what you're saying, though. It's the passion he displayed. That's difficult to do through passive means of email and web pages.

Kim
Modern Master

Postby Kim » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:00 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Interesting tho

Postby modfan » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:48 pm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:07 pm

Kim
Modern Master

Postby Kim » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:44 pm

To be precise, they are keeping the basic design, but flattening the balls out and poppping them on a "monument"-style sign. They are also dropping the jazzy orange background for a nasty bluish-red that looks like uncooked liver!

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby lasvegaslynn » Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:10 pm

They are also dropping the jazzy orange background for a nasty bluish-red that looks like uncooked liver!>>>

Hmm, that sounds tasteful. :P
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

Kim
Modern Master

Postby Kim » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:37 pm

Here's a graphic for the Save the 76 Ball campaign that folks are invited to put on their websites, linking to http://www.savethe76ball.com:

Let me know if you put the graphic up, and we'll give you a link back from the site!

thanks,
Kim

Kim
Modern Master

Postby Kim » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:47 pm

Lots of news at http://www.savethe76ball.com!

Nathan recorded a short podcast that spells out the reason for the petition.
http://ia300226.us.archive.org/2/items/ ... 6ball_.mp3

We've launched Forums where folks can document existing and missing 76 Balls in their communities.
http://savethe76ball.mypunbb.com/index.php

And Phil Goldwhite has created a business card to give gas station owners who still have their balls. "Lose the ball and you lose this customer!"
http://plasticmuse.com/Download.html

Kim
Modern Master

Postby Kim » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:19 pm

And the Save the 76 Ball campaign has gone international, with a wonderful piece on the BBC website. More than 26000 people have visited http://www.savethe76ball.com already today and many have signed the petition. Please have a look at their comments--it's wonderful to see how this iconic design has reached so far beyond its intended market.

I think the cheeky title of the Beeb piece helped!

"Can we have our balls back, please?"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4735280.stm

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:03 am

a 76 station in my neighborhood, the ranch house style from the early '60s, was whiped away from the earth over the weekend. Sad, it actually had a functioning garage, rare these days. :cry:

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:04 am

darkamor
Modern Socialite

Postby darkamor » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:21 am

WOW - I'd say the 76 BALL is as prominent a symbol as the TEXACO CLAM SHELL [it's not the same without BOB HOPE doing his famous commercials] ...

Symbolism was a HUGE thing back in the day [especially high on a pole, revolving] and it is very sad [plus tacky] to see everything reduced to a plastic flat sign [is that what the future holds ? plastic & flat?] ....

I sure miss those old VAN DE KAMP blue windmills

~(^)~
Cj

Kim
Modern Master

What Are They Doing With the Balls?

Postby Kim » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:34 pm

nredom
Modern Master

Postby nredom » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:31 pm

there was a nice orange ball on National just north of the 10 freeway and visible from it, in west los angeles. drove by today--yeah, it's been replaced.

how many are left, and how soon will they all be gone...?

Kim
Modern Master

ENDANGERED!

Postby Kim » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:35 pm

According to an employee, the beautiful revolving ball at 6th and La Brea will be gone in the next month. Once they come down, rumor has it the balls are destroyed, so we have to keep them on the poles where they are safe.

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:23 am

I drove by the 76 station at Beachwood and Franklin last Wednesday, and watched in horror as they DROPPED the ball from about 4' after carefully removing it from the pole. It broke like an egg.
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Kim
Modern Master

Postby Kim » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:11 am

I am so sorry you had to see that. {Shudder.} The philistines!

Please consider making a lost sign report on the Save the 76 Ball Forum. This is so ghastly a situation, that I am going to feature your description on the main site now.

Forum:
http://savethe76ball.honestbleeps.com/

Buddies Lounge
Modern Socialite

Postby Buddies Lounge » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:49 pm

removed
Last edited by Buddies Lounge on Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim
Modern Master

Historic Dodger Stadium 76 Ball DESTROYED

Postby Kim » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:06 pm

ConocoPhillips doesn't care about Southern Californians, tradition or good design. That's the only possible explanation for the grisly news that the beautiful and beloved blue and orange 76 Ball that has flown high at Dodger Stadium for generations has been replaced with a flat liver-colored disk.

ConocoPhillips will not stop their campaign of design terrorism until the last 76 Ball is pulled from its pole and smashed into a million pieces... unless YOU the consumer make it clear that you won't stand for it.

Sign the petition if you haven't already:

Then go here

to contact ConocoPhillips and let them know they won't get a penny of your gas buying dollar unless an ORANGE and blue 76 BALL is looking over the pumps. The red disk just doesn't make it.

Together we can SAVE RAY'S BALLS!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 18, 2006 1:13 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Gas Station Icons Being 86ed

After 45 years of guiding drivers to their next fill-up, 'meatball' 76 signs are becoming casualties of corporate consistency.

By Scott Gold, Times Staff Writer
May 14, 2006

In January, an earnest woman named Kim Cooper was driving through Lincoln Heights when her neighborhood gas station caught her eye. The station's familiar 76 insignia, its stocky blue numbers splashed against a sea of orange, had been supplanted with a sign that looked like, well, everywhere else. The new 76 was set against a backdrop of red, and a boring red at that — "a queasy color," she recalled with a grimace, "like liver..."

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... california

Vavala
Modern Master

Postby Vavala » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:35 am

76 Ball Alert!

I went past the 76 station at the Northwest corner of Santa Monica and Sawtelle Blvds in West LA and it appears that the 76 ball and pole at that location will be coming down today. The service station building has already been redone in the new format a few weeks ago. Perhaps any 76 ball advocates with time can make a site visit and a negotiation for the ball? I hear they're destroyed soon after removal. As I write this at 9:30am, this ball may have but a few hours left to remain intact.

Kim
Modern Master

Death of the Sawtelle 76 Sphere

Postby Kim » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:59 pm

76 Ball fan Marcello Vavala reported earlier this week that there were signs that the station at Santa Monica and Sawtelle might be about to lose its ball. Sure enough, the ball was cut from its pole the next morning, and dragged away to be destroyed.

See a photo of the fallen sphere at

And Marcello shares some observations, to help spot 76 Balls that face immediate danger. Unfortunately, we were not able to organize a protest to try to save this particular ball, but next time we might. PLEASE, if you see a 76 Ball that fits Marcello's description, drop us a line via our contact form ASAP: .

Marcello reports: The new signage is up and the orange ball has been taken away. The replacement happened very fast, probably within 5 hours.

There are some observations I've made which may be helpful in the future (if they haven't been made already.)

1. The ball removal was the last phase of the remodel. If I remember correctly, the station itself received its red color scheme about a full month before the ball was removed. So perhaps that can be a signal for balls that will be removed soon--orange balls at red stations.

2. In this case, there was some site preparation. The area surrounding the pole was taped off--it was apparant that work was going to take place there. But just one day in advance.

3. The actual ball removal happened early in the morning. The pole was down at 8:30am so the work may have begun at 7am, maybe even 6am.

Hope this helps.

Marcello

So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Modern Master

Postby So_Cal_Native_in_Texas » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:09 am

Those MURDERERS!!!!!
|

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”