Levitz

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Levitz

Postby nichols » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:57 pm

So Levitz finally closed the clearance center in Glendale and I can only imagine the sign is next. You'll love it at Levitz.

Here is something I saw on Flickr:

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Good lord. Whatever will happen to it all? Can anyone come up with some anagrams for Levitz Furniture? Perhaps we can scramble the letters and save a few... ?

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:36 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:53 am

'Tis better to have loved neon and lost than never to have loved
neon at all.

Viva Los Angeles!

nredom
Modern Master

Postby nredom » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:53 am

So what is the strategy here? Call Uncle Levitz and see what his plans for it are? If he's gonna junk it, offer to store it in Nathan's closet for a while? I'm offering to take some action, if one of you veterans wants to give some direction.

I think there is another one of these signs in Huntington Beach, that can be seen west of the 405 fwy, near Beach Blvd., right? So it can't be argued that the Glendale one is the last in existence. It used to rotate as I remember, and then didn't in recent years...

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:19 am

Call 'em and see what the managers at the store have to say about it. Call headquarters and ask what their plans are.

I've discovered through signage issues over the years that the company the sign advertises isn't always the owner of the sign itself. Could be the landowner owns the sign or even the sign company that constructed it that owns it. I'd suggest starting at the bottom to if if Levitz has anyhting to say about it. I'd hope the store's closure and the sign's eradication would make the news in some local rag.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:01 pm

Any word from Uncle Levitz on the sign?
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

nredom
Modern Master

Postby nredom » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:53 pm

Uncle Levitz say...you crazy preservation people may be confused.

The store that is closing at the end of the month is the outlet showroom:
314 No. Central
818-502-9741
Need to confirm: this store is NOT the one with the big neon sign.

The other Levitz Glendale store that is not closing:
5375 San Fernando Road West
818-240-1400
Need to confirm: this store IS the one with the big neon sign.

If someone local can confirm the above, Nathan doesn't have to move somewhere rural (yet). If not, I'll try to drive by in the next week and do the confirming.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:55 pm

Nredom,

Thanks so much for following up on this!

darkamor
Modern Socialite

Postby darkamor » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:42 am

1st NEWBURY's, Then WOOLWORTH's, Now LEVITZ ? If we keep this up future generations will never understand the meaning of signs + jingles [future generations will be ignorant of an important part of our culture - the advertisement and the distinct company logo] .... :roll:

~(^)~

Shifty
Modern Fan

Postby Shifty » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:09 pm

I can confirm that the sign pictured above is at the San Fernando rd. location, and not the other. The sign is visible from the 5 freeway just south of the 134 as you look towards Glendale. Growing up in Silverlake, I've known of the industrial park next door for some time as having ample space to spin a few donuts 8-[

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 31, 2007 11:05 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Interesting that

Postby modfan » Thu May 31, 2007 5:21 pm

The same happened a few years ago in La Verne.

No more neon, reduced store size and now parts I think are a Lowe's.

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:56 pm

Well, at least we still have a real nice big neon Levit'z sign here in Fresno. Hopefully it will stick around.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:49 pm

Glendale's giant Levitz neon sign is no more. I just saw it off of the 5 freeway refaced with a new tenant's black and white painted sign — some bland neon but no Levits.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:46 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”