H&M in Hollywood

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

H&M in Hollywood

Postby nichols » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:40 pm

I see that the H&M Clothing stores, beloved for their cheap and hep fashions are moving into Hollywood. Some clues in Today's business journal:

1. 10,000 square foot space
2. Owned by CIM
3. Across from Hollywood & Highland center
4. Former restaurant

What can it be? I would guess maybe Hamburger Hamlet. The former location of the rain-on-the-roof Seven Seas restaurant from the 1940s to the 1980s. Hopefully this won't turn out to be a preservation issue, I just like to keep up on things to make sure.

greenbot
Modern Fan

South Side of Hollywood

Postby greenbot » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:45 pm

hmmmm, I know the CRA is redeveloping the whole south side from Highland to the Seven Seas bldg. They're documentation implies that the focus is on historic rehab and possibly forcing the slumlord out of the Seven Seas bldg if he doesn't shape up. I've always found it amusing seeing that old slummy bldg. showing up in the background of Grauman's red carpet events.

I'll never forget when the Seven Sea's 're-opened' in the mid-eighties and a little core group of us dancin, punky fools watched that place mushroom into a major eighties dance emporium. It still had velvet paintings on the wall and a bunch of Polynesian-pop furniture and doodads hanging around. But the owners (I think the same sketchy folks as today) started busting out walls and building rickety bars and just killed it. Got spooky real quick, eventually someone got shot in there and it spiraled into oblivion. The original edge sign in the alley stayed in place for almost twenty years but dissapeared not long ago.

T

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:37 pm

There used to be a drugstore type business across from the Chinese and near the El Capitan, that had a display of Hollywood Blvd (circa the 1940s or 1950s) in minature.

Does anyone know what became of that minature display?
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:31 pm

They are at the Hollywood Entertainment Museum. One is under a stage.. Some might be in storage. Our own Palumbo was one of the exhibit designers.

http://www.hollywoodmuseum.com/index.html

Hollywood Miniatures Embedded in the stage in the Museum's Rotunda is one of five miniature models created by cabinetmaker Joseph Pellkofer in the 1940s. It took 25 artisans and craftsmen five years to produce the Hollywood Miniature, featuring some of Hollywood's early landmarks of theaters, churches, billboards, businesses and neighborhoods. The miniature is 11-feet by 12-feet and shows 45 main blocks of Hollywood, including 450 buildings, all built to scale with the tallest building being 22-inches. The Museum restored the miniature and added fiber-optic lighting so that the set goes from day to evening. The miniature of Malibu is carefully stored and awaiting restoration.

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:41 pm

Thanks Chris,

I guess I will have to mosey over to the Museum and take a look. Haven't seen the miniature since it was on display in the old drug store and even that was years and years ago.

Too bad the miniature of the Garden of Allah is in storage. It would be great if it could be displayed as well.

greenbot
Modern Fan

Postby greenbot » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:33 pm

That minature Hollywood city is such a treat, no dout the highlight of the museum and worth the price of admission alone, a true antique piece of Hollywood's history. I may be a bit biased because I live in one of it's renderings (Fontenoy Tower) but it really is a special thing to see.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:29 am

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:03 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”