May Co building at Wilshire/Farifax under threat from LACMA

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

May Co building at Wilshire/Farifax under threat from LACMA

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:29 am

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:33 am

And here's more on the LACMA website:

LACMA West
Renovations to LACMA West are currently scheduled for Phase III of the physical plan, toward the end of the decade.

As both the oldest and the newest part of the existing campus, LACMA West holds the potential to facilitate the growth and reform crucial to the museum’s aims. Acquired by LACMA in 1994, the former May Company department store (built in 1938–40) has become indispensable to the museum’s operations, hosting the innovative Boone Children’s Gallery and other valuable gallery, administrative and entertainment space.

While remaining true to its historical roots, a refurbished LACMA West— with a floor plan tailored to viewing art and an exterior aesthetically integrated within a physically transformed LACMA campus—will become even more vibrant, versatile and innovative.
Last edited by Lynxwiler on Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Isn't there

Postby modfan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:11 am

Dan O.
Modern Master

Postby Dan O. » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:14 pm

Is LACMA planning a stupid Fremont street-style laser show on the proposed "colorful screens" or what? It kills me that an art museum of all places doesn't seem to have a problem with defacing a rare example of period architecture by succumbing to a Koreatown billboard/animated lights aesthetic. Shouldn't these people know better?

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:41 am

Yes, this is awful and silly! They need to be looking at the building as a gem of commercial design of that era, a giant building in their collection of works of art! I think this is an issue to take on and keep the may co as intact & historic as possible.
Couldn't they just leave the exterior as is, and do what they must to the interior?

Couldn't you just imagine a blockbuster show of "streamline deco design" in 10 years, marketed as heavily as all those van gogh shows, tons of merchandise and such, and it would be so fab in that may co. building!

LACMA is not just a "contemporary" museum, (and even if they were)
they should appreciate the historic gem they have in their collection!!!
ww.panoramaonview.org

Deco Lover
Modern Fan

May Co. @ Wilshire/Fairfax

Postby Deco Lover » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:04 pm

I feel that the best use of the historic May Co. building would be
for LACMA to leave the exterior alone, and retore the interior for
a new Museum of Mid-Century Art, including a section devoted
to Art Deco. This museum could include galleries devoted to
paintings, drawings, sculpture, photography, furniture, industrial
design, fashion, etc. to present one of most important periods
of art and design, as well as reflect some of the development
of Los Angeles. It could be one of the premier musems in the
world.

I would even suggest a full restoration of the interior, to save
all architectural elements to reflect an era of the city's past,
and even a rooftop restaurant to take advantage of a mid-city
location with views of the Hollywood Hills, and the surrounding
neighborhoods.

What does anybody think of my idea?

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:51 pm

I like the idea but wonder if LACMA has the collection for such a MidMod exhibit. I struggled all over the internet to find an image of what LACMA is proposing and is promoting in a display on their campus. Unfortunately I couldn't find any online images and LACMA won't allow photos of the May Co models they constructed for their expansion exhibit.

So I gave up and called the museum. The representative I spoke with said the scrim idea was "blue sky" amd only preliminary. They may or may not use such an idea on the May Co building, but nothing has been decided. She said LACMA knows they have a special structure in the May Co building and -- get this -- shouldn't I trust that such a prestigious museum would care for the landmark just like the other items in its collection?

Since LACMA's original plan was to demolish every 1965-1987 building on its campus and replace it all with one, big Rem Koolhaas building, I don't think I have much faith in LACMA right now. So I'm planning on writing a little note to LACMA and say, hey, what do you think you're doing?

Andrea Rich, Director
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90036

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:42 am

Nothing to add … just thought I’d decorate the thread with a recent picture of the May Company building, posing as a condo made of stone-a.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:32 am

Andrea Rich is no longer the director of LACMA. It's a new, youngish guy from New York, Michael Govan. Maybe the future is brighter over there.

http://art.blogging.la/archives/2006/02 ... fici.phtml

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”