1976 PA Liberty Bell Pavillion being demolished

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1976 PA Liberty Bell Pavillion being demolished

Postby nichols » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:49 pm

Shifty
Modern Fan

Postby Shifty » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:18 pm

Did I read this wrong, or are they referring to the building that is currently housing the liberty bell? I was in Philly a few months ago and went to see the liberty bell... I don't recall any buildings sitting there vacant.. :?

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:38 pm

hmmm... i actually remember when this building was built. i went as a kid to see the liberty bell hanging IN independence hall pre 1976 (am i dating myself or what) - and then we all thought it was strange that they should move it into the funny little out-of-place, out-of-character building in the park out front.

but it was the bicentennial and they were expecting outrageous crowds to see the bell and independence hall supposedly could not handle the strain? that or someone made some extra dough off the city for erecting the temporary structure for an overbid price. no matter. as a preservationist, i would prefer to see the liberty sqaure area put back to pre-1976 status. even after visiting it a few years back i still thought how out of place the structure seemed and that it should be removed.

hope this does not offend?

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:19 am

The new building built by Architects, Bohlin Cywinski Jackson, at the edge of the newly cleared "mall" is actually quite well thought of in most architectural circles.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097468 ... e&n=283155

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:14 am

i know, i know, mru...

but then the architectural critic from the l.a. times nik o. something or other hates the William L. Periera and Associates, 1965 Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) and liked the idea of demolishing in favor of Rem Koolhaus's plan.
So i don't put alot of stock in architectural critics sometimes...

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

I was there to....

Postby modfan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:29 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”