Hi, everyone :)

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

GaryR50
Modern Master

Hi, everyone :)

Postby GaryR50 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:17 pm

Greetings from Oklahoma, the birthplace of architects Bruce Goff and Bart Prince. Goff, as some of you may know, studied under Frank Lloyd Wright. Both Goff and Prince are of the organic school of architecture.

Are most of you in California? I see a few from Michigan here, too. I once lived in California, for a couple of years, back in the early seventies, near Lompoc and Santa Maria. I used to spend weekends in the Santa Ynez Valley, of down at Pismo Beach or Santa Barbara. I'm sure things have changed a bit since then, though.
Gary
Modern Home Design
http://www.modern-home-design.com

texasdago
Modern Master

Locations

Postby texasdago » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:51 pm

One Texan here...

GaryR50
Modern Master

Hi, Everyone :)

Postby GaryR50 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:59 pm

Howdy, Tex. ;)

Dallas? I have a sister and an aunt in Houston.
Gary

Modern Home Design

bananabobs
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby bananabobs » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:32 pm

A few years back? The freaking 70's?
Yeah...a few things have changed... :wink:
In the 70's you could buy a house in San Fernando Valley for $35,000, Lompoc's cheapest house right now is $310,000, Pismo...nothing under $775,000
Arroyo Grande, Pismo, Shell Beach and Avila, are now connected...if not for the signs, you couldn’t tell which was which.
Welcome to the Forum *** Tell me about "Organic School" I am unfamiliar with it, Biodegradable blue prints?

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 01, 2003 3:18 am

Gary

Modern Home Design

texasdago
Modern Master

Houston

Postby texasdago » Thu May 01, 2003 5:46 am

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 01, 2003 6:02 am

Gary

Modern Home Design

FranklinHills
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby FranklinHills » Thu May 01, 2003 10:23 am

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 01, 2003 10:34 am

Gary

Modern Home Design

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Thu May 01, 2003 8:56 pm

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 3:17 am

True, and I figured the ad I saw was probably scoping for interns, also. If so, that's a good thing because architects here don't make $45,000 to $60,000 until they've been at it a few years. I knew there was something wrong with those figures, because L.A. is always ahead, in terms of pay scale - even for grocery sackers.
Gary

Modern Home Design

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Fri May 02, 2003 5:57 am

Whoa! Big guy! LA is very PC...Courtesy Clerks not sackers, whew... :wink: ($12.50 an hour)(with benefits)
I was talking to my architect, he said, many people who get out of school get positions "drawing" for a big firm and either get burned out or dovetailed, never getting out and designing on their own. My daughter is a student at Otis Art here in LA and she said many graphic illustrators end up much the same way, its what YOU do, how much you want to put into it, how much you want to risk, the cream rises to the top. Look at our famous Moderator, (owner of this site) she didn’t get this far by waiting for work to come to her, look at her bio and her work, very impressive.

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 6:47 am

Very true. You want to see some young kids ranting and raving about how "poor" interns get "shafted" by greedy architectural firms that use them as "wage slaves," visit the message boards at Archinect.com. It's really pathetic to read the whining and sniveling of these brats who are still in school and think they're worth $60,000 to $90,000 a year as soon as they graduate. ;)

I've been an architectural draftsman draftsman for 25 years, mostly because I didn't go back to get a degree in architecture, which is my fault, of course. But, I'm starting my own residential design practice on the side, now, so I can apply all I've absorbed over the years. It may be late, but that's better than never. Life is, indeed, what you make of it.
Gary

Modern Home Design

Joe
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Joe » Fri May 02, 2003 8:54 am

Hey Gary, i saw you over on the Dwell boards. Do you ever work? ;)

Welcome

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 9:13 am

The office I work in is in a very sloooooooooow period right now. There are only five of us, and we're turning into internet junkies while waiting for our fricking clients to make up their minds, waiting for the go-ahead on new jobs, etc. It's very frustrating. There are rumblings about relocating the office, too, so we're expecting there may be some "adjustments" ahead. Meanwhile, I have my resume updated and ready to send out. If things do head south, I've still got my business, but it'll realistically be months before I sell anything. Fortunately, my overhead is zero, so I can keep going no matter what. Gee, did I tell you a bit more than you really wanted to know? LOL. ;)
Gary

Modern Home Design

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri May 02, 2003 2:23 pm

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Fri May 02, 2003 5:12 pm

Gary

Modern Home Design

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Sat May 03, 2003 6:00 pm

Gary

Modern Home Design

10yrsaft
Modern Socialite

Further thoughts from a fellow architect

Postby 10yrsaft » Sat May 03, 2003 7:55 pm

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Sat May 03, 2003 8:16 pm

Gary

Modern Home Design

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 08, 2003 8:14 am

Well, I guess I'm just talking to myself on these boards, now, since no one will respond to anything I've posted, and since every time I post to a thread, no one will post anything further there. I note that you're all reading my posts, though, so I suppose you must find me very "entertaining," despite your silence. I've noted, also, that my email notifications have somehow been terminated. One thread in particular (A-Frames) has several new posts since my last one, and I wasn't notified of any of these. I can only assume this was done deliberately by our moderator, perhaps at the insistence of one or more of you.

You know, I have tried to be friendly and genuinely helpful to all of you, and I believe I have contributed some new and valuable information and photos to these boards, which I've noticed you have been looking at, even if you won't post any response to them. I have tried to get along with everyone here, and I don't believe I've said anything that anyone could interpret as offensive in any way, unless you're all so thin skinned you can't stand any form of criticsm, even when it's not leveled at you personally.

I don't know what you think of me, though I have an idea you regard me as some hick who has "barged" into your little domain, and that you'd all like nothing better than to see me just go away. Fine. If that's the kind of people you are, I have no use for you, either. Bye.

Gary
Gary

Modern Home Design

texasdago
Modern Master

Postby texasdago » Thu May 08, 2003 8:21 am

Gary... I'm not avoiding you... I just thought it wasn't a discussion that didn't involve me.

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 08, 2003 10:05 am

I know, Tex. You, Greg and Usonian are the only ones here who seem to value anything I have to contribute. I don't know; maybe I said something above (this thread) that gave this predominantly California-based audience the impression that I'm "politically incorrect." Well, yeah I AM! So what? ;)

Gary
Gary

Modern Home Design

JAB
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby JAB » Thu May 08, 2003 12:29 pm

My, aren't we a little self important.

SkipHome
Modern Master

Postby SkipHome » Thu May 08, 2003 12:30 pm

[quote="FranklinHills"]As someone who just bought a weekend house in Palm Springs, let me tell you, there are no bargains out there.

Unbastardized mid-century modern houses get snapped up instantly and prices have gone up 50-70% in the last two years alone. For something good in a reasonably good neighborhood, you're looking at 400K. And then you have to do the restoration work. If you're okay with living underneath the planes taking off from the airport or being in the north part of town where the wind makes your pool unusable on most days, you might be looking at 275-300K.

And if you want to be in a good neighborhood (Vista Las Palmas, Movie Colony, Deepwell, Mesa), not on leased Indian land and want a mid-century in restored/updated move-in condition, you're looking at at least 600 and more like 700K.

{quote]
i beg to differ, franklin hills. i bought an alexander in the racquet club neighborhood - which is in the "dreaded" north end of palm springs. you way exaggerate the effect of the wind. true, last year was unusually bad, even in south palm springs. there are many days march-may when it might be too windy, but there are other advantages that offset it. you mentioned one thing: affordability. believe me, you can find places for much less than 275K that aren't uninhabitable. even at this late date. it's also quieter, in general there are bigger lots, in my opinion better views than in the southern end of town, and has a wide open feeling.

texasdago
Modern Master

Wind...

Postby texasdago » Thu May 08, 2003 12:46 pm

I always see a lot about the "wind-free" areas about Palm Springs. How windy does it get in the north end? Is it windy year-round or just part of the year? In Houston, for example, we get really strong southerly winds in the spring... no one really thinks about it since that's just the way it is being near the gulf. We usually have a nice breeze. Today the wind is gusting to about 25 mph.

SkipHome
Modern Master

Re: Wind...

Postby SkipHome » Thu May 08, 2003 1:11 pm

FranklinHills
Modern Socialite

Postby FranklinHills » Thu May 08, 2003 1:17 pm

texasdago
Modern Master

Wind

Postby texasdago » Thu May 08, 2003 1:20 pm

GaryR50
Modern Master

Postby GaryR50 » Thu May 08, 2003 1:30 pm

Gary

Modern Home Design

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”