Tiki Sam's Seafood in Huntington Beach to close?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Tiki Sam's Seafood in Huntington Beach to close?

Postby nichols » Wed May 17, 2006 12:38 pm

Rumors abound that the incredible tiki restaurant Sam's Seafood in Huntington Beach will be closing soon. This is what I heard when I just called "We're as much in the dark as you - did you hear this on the internet? we hear condos, we hear they're gonna keep it open - we just don't know."

http://www.samsseafood.com/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed May 17, 2006 12:41 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu May 25, 2006 5:22 pm

A blurry Saturday nite at Sam's

tikiyaki
Special Secret Modern Agent

Re: Tiki Sam's Seafood in Huntington Beach to close?

Postby tikiyaki » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:35 pm

MsJVonFink
Modern Socialite

It is closed.

Postby MsJVonFink » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:01 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:23 pm

Monstergrl
Modern Fan

Sam's Seafood...take me away!!!

Postby Monstergrl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:10 am

Growing up and traveling PCH I always admired the building that is Sam’s Seafood. I always wondered what went on behind the lush landscaped walls and the roof that jutted out towards the sky. After finding out Sam’s had closed I kicked myself for all the dinners at Black Angus, Claim Jumper, and Outback simply because we couldn’t think of where else to go.

After seeing Nichols posting and an ad in the OC Weekly detailing its grand opening I grabbed my friend and made the trek on Sunday. Now, I’ve never been to Hawaii or Trader Vic’s and the closet I think I could get at this time of my life is Hilo Hattie at the Block. So upon pulling up I was very excited for my first Tiki adventure (that didn’t have singing toucans…sadly)

The landscaping outside is beautiful with succulents and palms. By entering the doorway marked “Alohaâ€￾ you are entering in to a wonderful Hawaiian hideaway. You are greeted by the wonderful sounds of Hawaiian music; traditional dancers (on Sunday) and the friendly wait staff.

It’s a very handsome place. Hand painted murals, lampshades made of seashells and thatch, and one wall was covered with tea lights highlighted by abalone shells. The inside is very rich in color and very romantic. They also have plentiful patio space lit by tiny hanging lights. I was unable to see everything as it was busy and without reservations we were seated in the back :( .

I ordered a Pina colada that came with a tiny purple orchid which was very tasty. The menu has many wonderful choices from crab cakes, salads, fish, filet, and sweet pork. Plates range from $6-$32. I ordered halibut that came on a bed of mashed potatoes with grilled (?) bok choy, carrots and a delicious sauce. So Good!! Very elegant display. The only change I would suggest for the menu is take off the wedge salad with bacon and replace it with an ahi salad of some kind.

I very much enjoyed this fun outing. It has a modern feel of a vintage past and a nice departure from the regular. If you plan on going I would recommend making a reservation for prime seating. They also have valet parking later in the day.

***Just some other Lotta Living Info: Across the street is the house that looks like a water tower high above the ground, a banner was hung from it advertising vacation rentals.
***Also if you continue W/on PCH and N/on Seal Beach Blvd. On the W/side is Leisure World complete with the spinning globe!

Definitely make the trip to Sam’s and enjoy for your self a classy, fun and tiki retreat!!

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:15 pm

Big tiki event happening at Sams on Saturday.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri May 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Sam's has reopened and the tikiphiles at tiki central seem happy, but now the owners feel they have to change the name (AND THE SIGN) and that's really bad news.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/ ... =1&start=0

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sat May 24, 2008 5:26 pm

Let's start a letter writing campaign!

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Sat May 24, 2008 9:33 pm

Being more of a local (having driven past Sam's since childhood and having know people who have worked there, I must say that their reason for the name change is valid. The stated reason, is that Sam's has a bad rep. My friend who worked there would not eat there. It was filthy. The locals is who they must attract. There's enough money living close to support the restaurant, but those folks are not interested in going to Sam's. It is reported in the Tikiroom link that the marlin stays, just the Sam's is going. so if you all want a Tiki restaurant there, be glad they changed the name, the menu, the A/C and are working on the drinks.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:47 pm

Sam's became Kona and is now becoming DON THE BEACHCOMBER!

Don the Beachcomber returns to the Mainland in Surf City, USA! Join us on Friday, March 27, for a special Sneak Peek party where you can try the new cocktails, enjoy live Polynesian entertainment and meet the team!
http://donthebeachcomber.com/

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”