1914, Founder of Ralphs Grocery dies in landslide

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1914, Founder of Ralphs Grocery dies in landslide

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:03 am

Los Angeles Times, June 21, 1914:

Accident kills founder of Ralphs Grocery

Ralphs Grocery Co. founder George A. Ralphs was at Lake Arrowhead with his wife and children when the boulder on which he was perched "gave way and rolled 20 feet down into the canyon, carrying Mr. Ralphs with it," The Times said.

Ralphs, 64, was taken to San Bernardino, where his leg was amputated.

The shock "was too great, however, and death followed within an hour," The Times said, noting that Ralphs had been a master bricklayer until he lost an arm in an accident. After working as a grocery clerk, he bought his first store at 6th and Spring streets in 1877.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:05 am

What I find so odd about the story is that Mr Ralphs was not only missing a leg when he died, but an arm as well.

In Ralphs' recent TV commercials, the company plays up its SoCal history and founding by Mr. Ralphs, but they always show him with two arms. Interesting.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:39 am

That reminds me of some research I did a coupla weeks ago on a great big Craftsmanish mansion at 987 Arapahoe (Olympic near Alvarado) that was about to be moved. It was built by this J. Jevne, who ran a huge successful grocery downtown - I'm sure a direct competitor to Ralphs - and then he died and his ne'er-do-well son took it over.. Anyway, two cool old houses on the site bought for development and some community activists got them donated and moved somewhere south on Alvarado (near 12th) and they will be restored as a community center. Neat.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:28 pm

I'm certain I know of those houses. I've been watching Olympic as the big, craftsman-ish houses near the thoroughfare get eaten up by developers. The two you mention have been deteriorating terribly over the last few years.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:12 pm

Saved, moved, awaiting restoration and then...

FIRE!

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:58 am

Aw crap. I guess Mitzi realized they weren't Art Deco and she decided to torch them. Very sad.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”