Is anyone familiar with architect Adrian Wilson?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Kimba
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Is anyone familiar with architect Adrian Wilson?

Postby Kimba » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:03 am

Adrian Wilson was a successful architect from the 40s to the 60s. He lived in Pasadena, California and designed structures in California and Nevada. By the time he retired in 1973, his architectural and engineering firm also had offices overseas.

The reason I'm asking is that I knew Adrian very well. He was my great uncle :)
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:10 am

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:09 am

There is a house in Palm Springs, the Davidson House, known as the Ship of the Desert:

Restored a few years ago by Marmol + Radziner after arson.

If you know anything about the house, I'm certain the owner's would be interested!

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:01 am

The building we are having the next Modern Committee meeting in was the office of Adrian Wilson in the 1960s:
http://modcom.org/

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:09 pm

OH WOW! I am so happy that you guys posted these! I have many newspaper articles about Uncle Ade, but didn't have the portfolios or pics that Grandma kept ~ they were all "lost" after Grandma and Ade passed away in the 80s! Oh, how I would have loved the portfolios!

I had searched the internet for a pic of the ship of the desert to no avail! I don't have any special stories about it, only that my grandmother was very pleased with all of Ade's accomplishments. I was quite young when we visited him in his home in Pasadena and only remember their POODLE, of course! LOL. He was a very quiet man, and always kind to me. I didn't see him much after his retirement as my parents divorced in 1975 and Dad didn't do much visiting after that. Ade passed away in 1988 and I was sorry that I didn't see him before he died. The last time I visited with him was at Grandma's in Bishop, Calif. in the late 70s.

I remember he used to live next door to an actor, seems like it was Jimmy Durante. I know he was friends with Jimmy.

Again, thank you for the pics! I am this branch of the family's genealogist, so I will be putting them in my family tree computer file! What a treat! :D :D :D :D :D
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:14 pm

Oh, I have an old article about the Pueblo Del Rio, if anyone is interested :)

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:20 pm

Oh! One more question! Does anyone know about a hospital he designed in Los Angeles with Paul R. Williams in 1955? I have a newspaper article about it, but have not found anything more.

Also, isn't the Anaheim Convention Center still standing? Is it near Anaheim Stadium?

I'm not surprised to hear that the Las Vegas Convention Center is gone. They've torn down so many wonderful buildings in Vegas, haven't they? I remember Grandma and Ade talking about that building. Both of them were very pleased about the Vegas Convention Center for some reason. Was there something inovative about it that any of you are aware of?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:13 am

Anaheim Convention Center is one of my favorites. It's doing great and had a recent rehab when a major expansion was added to the rear. GREAT photos here: http://www.ronsaari.com/stockImages/goo ... Center.php

Sad to say that wasn't the fate of the Las Vegas Convention Center, which demolished the amazing stainless steel dome spaceship by Wilson and replaced it with a tilt-up concrete box with an illustration of the old building on it. Whaa?

eseglin
Modern Groupie

Adrian Wi,lson

Postby eseglin » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:54 pm

Adrian Wilson also designed the United States Embassy in Saigon, built in 1967. I did extensive research on the building for my graduate architecture thesis, which was to design a new consulate for the same site after the US established diplomatic ties with Vietnam in 1995.

The striking building was unfortunately demolished by the US government in 1998.

I can send archive photos of the building to anyone who is interested.

I have always wondered if there are any Adrian Wilson archives which might include design drawings of this building. Does anyone have any information?

Best regards,

Edward Eglin[/img]

MD²

Postby MD² » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:02 pm

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:04 pm

eseglin
Modern Groupie

Saigon Embassy

Postby eseglin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:56 pm

Yes, I sent an email to Awiai to see about any archives.

Thanks for the embassy photos. Email me at eseglin@gmail.com if you would like me to email some others to you.

Best,

Edward

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Adrian Wi,lson

Postby moderns-r-us » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:58 am

eseglin
Modern Groupie

Postby eseglin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:17 pm

Yes, this was one of the main pick-up points for "Operation Frequent Wind", the helicopter evacuation of Saigon on April 29, 1975. However, the famous iconic photograph of people struggling up the stairway to the helicopter is actually not this building, but rather a nearby apartment building. For more info on that see:

http://www.mishalov.com/Vietnam_finalescape.html

MD²

Postby MD² » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:38 pm

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:57 pm

Does anyone have a picture of the Las Vegas Convention Center that Adrian designed? Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that it is no longer standing.

eseglin
Modern Groupie

Postby eseglin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:00 pm

Don't have pictures of it. Have you tried Aiwia?

MD²

Postby MD² » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 pm

--

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:03 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:05 pm

MD²

Postby MD² » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:38 pm

--

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:18 pm

MD, I can't thank you enough for researching those pics for me! I haven't had the chance ~ been a busy week! I'm amazed at how gorgeous that building was! And they have a picture of the old one on the NEW one? Obviously, even the destroyers knew how monumental it was! Oh, do I sound like I'm proud of my uncle? Actually, I'd always been told he was a "famous architect" ~ now I know why my family said that! I just knew him as a kind uncle. I came to this site because I love googie signage ~ I never expected to find a diamond in my family tree!

Thank you all soooooooooo much!

MD²

Postby MD² » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:39 pm

--
Last edited by MD² on Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:27 pm

From Dion Neutra:

No relationship of any significance that I can recall. Does she?

lasvegaslynn
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby lasvegaslynn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:05 pm

The Original Las Vegas Convention Center hosted the first World Space Congress, President Kennedy spoke in the Rotunda about a month before going to Dallas in Nov. '63, the Beatles performed in the Rotunda (the only time they played Las Vegas) in 1964, it was home to many professional fights including the Cassisus Clay vs Floyd Patterson fight. Scores of high school students got their diplomas during graduation ceremonies in the Rotunda.
Lynn in Sherman Oaks

www.classiclasvegas.squarespace.com (blog)

www.classiclasvegas.com (website)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:57 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:24 pm

Lynn: Thank you for the history! This is GREAT stuff for my family genealogy!!!

Nichols: I love that shot of the convention center that you posted!!!

MD: Where are you?

(I hope MD is okay! All of his posts disappeared!!!)

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

MD

Postby Tony » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:58 pm

Kimba,

MD decided to leave Lotta Living and took his posts with him. This was his final post:

I've decided to leave this forum.
You're a great bunch of people & I've really enjoyed sharing with all of you for this past year.
I just feel that my need for total freedom of expression was just conflicting too much with the rules of this board.
I guess it was my bad in the first place trying to do things my way.
As I consider having intellectual rights over what I've shared with you over this past year, I have unfortunately decided to take my posts along with me on this journey.
Please be advised that there is nothing personnal against anyone here in my taking such a decision.
I have left but one post, concerning Paul Rudolph's Sarasota Riverview High School which still has a slim chance of being saved from the wrecking ball.
Perhaps that information is still susceptible to help out in preserving that building.

Martin
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:43 pm

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:19 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”