San Diego Scottish Rite

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

San Diego Scottish Rite

Postby nichols » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi San Diego Folks... I was digging through my postcards and found a great one for the "Scottish Rite Masonic Memorial Center" in Mission Valley.

They have a site and, though the building is a little overgrown, it looks pretty intact. Have any of you been? Does it still have an incredible sign tower?

Anyway, here they are.

http://www.scottishritesandiego.org/

Thanks.

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:03 pm

What a cool building. 1965, according to the website.

Seems the arches and tower belong to the church behind it...

scottkaycee
Modern Master

Postby scottkaycee » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:33 am

Last time I was there it was still intact, I went to a Comic book show there in the early 90's. That whole area was rich in this sort of stuff, but little by little it is being re-muddled away. Have you been to Mission Valley Center? Largely intact although it was Westfielded awhile ago. The Macy's is a great concrete block mass, and the mall itself is outdoors with an almost Miesian character(underneath the "rennovations")
How about a career in Architecture? www.scottkirkcueto.blogspot.com

sdmod
Modern Master

Postby sdmod » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:31 am

It is really pretty average beyond the entry. The church behind it (in post above) is fantastic

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:00 pm

Agree with Todd here, that there's nothing really to recommend this building except for the entrance. The rest is really just a series of windowless boxes with little of interior finish of any interest. The church behind it is much more interesting.

I've been to the Scottish Rite temple many times recently for various functions. My wife likes to go to the San Diego Orchid Society show here every year.

There used to be a Masonic Temple in Kearny Mesa (San Diego), just off of Clairemont Mesa Blvd. and SR163. That one was much more interesting, because it was a large white dome. That one always fascinated me as a kid. Jerry Lewis held his telethon in that building once or twice.
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions
House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:37 pm

The postcard that started it all...

Chimay

Postby Chimay » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:54 pm

Too bad that sign is long gone. It was cooler than the building. Wonder what happened to it...
Friends don't let friends live in McMansions

House pics at http://www.flickr.com/photos/88017382@N ... 387250721/

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”