Neutra's "Casa Shinoda" in Santa Barbara?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
gwdiener
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Neutra's "Casa Shinoda" in Santa Barbara?

Postby gwdiener » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:07 pm

Does anyone know anything about a Neutra named "Casa Shinoda" that was supposedly located at 1124 Camino Del Rio in Santa Barbara?

Spent the day looking for various houses in SB and that address has what appears to be a recently built home.

Was Shinoda torn down or did I have a wrong address?

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:09 am

Speaking of Santa Barbara, I plan on being there next weekend.

While it does not appear to be a place for googie, is there anything of note to keep a lookout for, other than the Spanish/Med Revival, like the Courthouse or the Bitlmore?

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:08 am

When it comes to MCM, you're kinda out of luck in SB. There are some amazing MCM homes in Montecito by Paul Tuttle, Rutta Riggs, Henri Morgenroth, and Neutra's Tremaine House (built for my cousin, Kit Tremaine) but I can't honestly say where they are.

Some International Style structures -- Neutra's 1957 Slavin House is at 1322 Dover; Edwards and Pitman's 1959 Edwards Home is at 2100 Las Tunas; Chester Carjola's 1960 Kurfess Home is at 1919 Garden; Robert Grant's 1972 Grant Home is at 1777 Las Tunas -- for non-residential, at 495 S. Fairview in Goleta there's a cool 1968 Cooke and Greer office building; the 1965 Teamsters Union by KBZ (Kruger/Bensen/Ziemer) at 6185 Via Real down in Carpinteria; the 1967 County Office Building by Cooke, Frost and Greer at 4444 Calle Real; E. G. & G. Electronics, 1963, by Stice and Takayama, at 130 Robin in Goleta...

...obviously, much of modern Santa Barbara was to the north in Goleta, since after the '25 quake building codes basically required the stucco and red tile deal. As such, there are lots of concrete brutalist buildings with red tile...another famous KBZ building is their 1968 bank at 900 Chapala, the 1974 MTD Transit Center by Hall and Visioni at 1020 Chapala, the 1973 Hall and Visioni library in Goleta at 500 N. Fairview...also check out Daniel Dwosky's 1970 IBM building at 3820 State; Rasmussen and Love's 1971 Schaffer Electronics at 75 Castilian in Goleta; and Schmandt and Lenvik's 1969 architect's offices at 100 West Micheltorena, which is in that "woodsy, Third Bay Region" style. As is the KBZ 1974 Raytheon building at 6380 Hollister in Goleta.

Here's some Googie for ya -- http://www.zodobowl.com/ Image

The first and sole extant Sambo's is down at the beach at 216 West Cabrillo, and while it has this cool sign
...there's nothing to look at inside.

There's an amaaaaazing mural of "travel through the ages" on a supermarket, a Ralph's I believe, from 1959, with a "travel of the future" rocket ship part...it's the northeast corner between Chapala and State, and I think Victoria...though it might be as far down as Carillo. Only four blocks to check out. Don't miss it.

Neon...don't miss Jedlicka's Saddlery at 2605 De la Vina, or Joe's Cafe at 536 State, or the Greyhound Station at 34 West Carillo, or the Blue Skies mobile park neon, a little ways west up the 101 past the San Marcos Pass exit on the north side.

And if you want to mix booze with your neon, in a golf-themed 60s environment, do not miss the Tee Off! 3627 State. Also, I recommend drinking at Don's John, 3126 State, and the bar two doors down, which used to be called the Ba'k Door but is now called something else, I forget what.

As you get into upper State, there's the Loreto Plaza in the 3300 block, nice metal screen, and the motels get interesting up there, with some neon left. In the 3800 block of State, south side, is La Cumbre Plaza, 1967 brutalist, though it's been compromised quite a bit, it still retains its grandeur.

The old, and fast disappearing, industrial district is fun to tool around in. Basically bordered between Garden, the 101, Milpas, and Cabrillo.

The Historical Society is at 136 E. De La Guerra -- go in and pester them about the addresses of modern buildings! There's also a Montecito Historical Society, in the library at 1469 East Valley, they might know a thing or two about finding Montecito Modern.

The best place to go during a hectic day driving around looking at stuff, by the way, is the SB Cemetery, on Cabrillo where it becomes Channel Drive near Montecito. You can sit in peace and quiet and look out over the ocean -- more peace and quiet than you'll have on the beach.

Let us know how it goes!

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:59 am

Nathan,

Thank you very much for this detailed information! I didn't know there was that much good stuff up there.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:32 pm

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”