Town Tire on Beverly

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Town Tire on Beverly

Postby nichols » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:45 pm

This great old tire shop (drive-in market?) has closed and is for lease.
(curbedla)
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2006/10/r ... mbl_63.php

From Loopnet listing: Rare opportunity to lease a freestanding building with excellent parking. The property consists of approxiamtely 5,455 sf of building on a lot size of approximately 12,894 sf lot. This architecturally dramatic and unique building is set back off the street with parking in front and currently used as "Tire Town". Sort term lease 3-5 years $20,000 per month NNN. Long term lease is $30,000 per month NNN

We saw 'dozers there last nite (abatement?)

rhandel
Modern Socialite

It was a market!!!

Postby rhandel » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Wehn I went to visit Al Horvat, the owner, a few years ago, I noticed a gorgeous black and white photo of Town Tire, from 1963.

The original brick building was divided into sections with "Al Fenton’s Beverly-Gardner Market" announced on a large sign. Knudson Dairy Products was on another sign. Town Tire is in the center section, fronted by a 50’s Chevy, a Corvair, a grand old Buick and a stately Ford. (I asked my mother if she remembers the market and she said she used to buy milk there).

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:49 pm

CURBED

BREAKING: Historic Town Tire Co Finally Gets Some Action
Friday, October 9, 2009, by Dakota

... Rolling Greens, a plant nursery which also has a Culver City outpost, will open in November at the old tire company, a 1930 building that once housed a grocery store. ..

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2009/10/b ... tenant.php

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:03 pm

Rolling Greens opened here on Tuesday.

http://www.rollinggreensnursery.com/

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 pm

lookin' good.
They even restored the rolling tires on the sign!

Vavala
Modern Master

Postby Vavala » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:56 pm

http://www.larchmontchronicle.com/Archi ... iveID=1069

Rolling Greens Opens on Beverly Blvd.
By Laura Eversz

Larchmont Chronicle
December 31, 2009

IN ADDITION TO PLANTS, Rolling Greens’ new location on Beverly Blvd. will offer an assortment of gifts for the home.

Along with cocktails, dessert and live music, guests got a sneak peak at Rolling Greens’ second location at an opening celebration in December.

Founded in the mid ‘70s, Rolling Greens began as a nursery on wheels, its owners traveling by van each week from San Diego to Los Angeles selling locally grown plants, gardening materials and found objects to customers along the way. Eventually, the business grew so large that they moved out of the van and into a permanent location in Culver City.

In 2004, Rolling Greens, formerly only for the trade, opened its doors to the public.

The second location is now open for business in the historic Town Tire Company building at Beverly Blvd. and Gardner St.. Built in 1930, the structure was a food market before becoming the landmark tire company in 1963.

“I’ve had my eye on the Town Tire Company building for years and dreamed of opening a Rolling Greens in this incredible space,” said owner Greg Salmeri.

In keeping with the weathered character of the building, Salmeri meticulously restored the 5,455 square-foot space keeping the rustic character of beamed ceilings and exposed brick.

“We’ve expanded our offerings into home categories beyond what we offer at the Culver City location,” said Salmeri. In addition to the assortment of interior and exterior plants Rolling Greens is known for, the Beverly Blvd. location has an extensive assortment of gifts for the home including pottery, table linens, plates, gourmet foods, books, bedding, bath items and vintage accessories.

Customers will be able to take a break from shopping and enjoy tea service from the Algabar Tea bar, which will serve a Rolling Greens tea blend.

The new shop will also feature an Arrangement Bar, where custom-planted creations are assembled by “baristas” in collaboration with customers.

Rolling Greens, 7505 Beverly Blvd., 323-934-4500, www.rollinggreensnursery.com

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”