Hope for the Ennis Brown House

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Synthetrix
Modern Master

Postby Synthetrix » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:31 pm

Man that sucks. I was looking forward to a tour after the rennovations were finished. I hope this changes.
Synthetrix Photos of the Forgotten
http://photosoftheforgotten.synthetrix.com/

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:41 pm

I guess you could always tiptoe quietly up to the house, break a window, and give yourself a private tour. . . :roll:

The carpool route is probably a good idea. That's how groups are taken to the Glass House in New Canaan, I believe.

SDR
"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:23 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

ARCHITECTURE
A new home rises across from Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis House

Architect Barbara Bestor designed the home to showcase the Wright landmark, which towers above the pool wall like a sculpture.
By David A. Keeps, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 17, 2008
SOMETHING about Barbara Bestor's dining table, an inexpensive minimalist steel piece, isn't quite right. The glossy surface, powder-coated a watermelon pink, is perfectly cheerful. But laden with platters of finger foods, the table is falling a little flat.

Suddenly inspired, the architect sprints to a nearby bookcase and pulls down two thick volumes.

"I knew that 'The Name of the Rose' and 'A History of Architecture on the Comparative Method' had some purpose," says Bestor, 41, placing the books as impromptu pedestals for her dishes. "I'm a completely topographical architect."

Indeed, even when she is throwing a party, Bestor considers every elevation. Tonight's fete celebrates a new furniture line by her friend David Weeks, the lighting designer. It's also her first large gathering in the Los Feliz home she recently built on a promontory directly across the street from the iconic 1924 Ennis House, Frank Lloyd Wright's fourth and final textile-block house in Los Angeles.

Yes, Bestor admits, it was daunting putting her creation in such close context to what she calls Wright's "high-concept, radically huge gesture." Built from patterned concrete modules that transcended the flat look of cinder-block construction, the Ennis House was inspired by Mayan and Aztec structures.

"It is L.A.'s Machu Picchu," Bestor says, referring to its tomb-like appearance and current state of disrepair, partly due to the Northridge earthquake in 1994 and fierce rainstorms of 2004. "I'd much rather look at that every morning than the Getty Center."

http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la ... 6380.story

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”