Johnie's Broiler/Harvey's Broiler/Bob's Big Boy Broiler

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Skylark
Modern Socialite

Postby Skylark » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Sweet! :)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:08 pm

L.A. EXAMINER

Bob's Big Boy, Downey, Calif: Reborn diner

t was gone. Bulldozed into a scrap pile like far too much American history. Johnie's Broiler was just an old fashioned drive-in restaurant, wasn't it? It was more than that to the city of Downey, California. This was part of the town's soul, a beautiful jewel from an optimistic age, a landmark whose googie architecture had delighted area residents for generations. And it was gone.
But sometimes, miracles happen. Due largely to the efforts of dedicated individuals, the Modernism Committee of the Los Angeles Conservancy, and the City of Downey, an irreplacable local landmark has risen from the rubble of the wrecking ball...

http://www.examiner.com/x-6882-Classic- ... n-Saturday

Cyclone Kevin
Modern Fan

Postby Cyclone Kevin » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:52 pm

Well,
This finish line is seriously in sight! Oct 19th Monday is Opening Day!
We have almost done it! Cruise Nites will be happening on Wednesdays just like in 80's-90's. The lights are lit. training is taking place
and people keep walking in and asking if we are open yet!

So bring your Mid Century Modern Motor-vator and come get served by by dazzling dolls in your car under the canopy. Its what we all have been waiting for! Come welcome a Bob's Big Boy Broiler for a new millenium.

I'll say that its spooky looking around it,cuz one would think and feel that it was built in 58 still.
All Roads Lead to The Broiler!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:31 pm

I'M STILL AT HUNTINGTON MEMORIAL RECOVERING FROM MY SURGERY, AND FEELING SAD I CAN'T BE THERE FOR THE CRUISE TONITE OR OPENING CELEBRATIONS. AWW, AFTER ALL THIS :( JOHN BROUGHT THE LAPTOP TO THE HOSPITAL SO I COULD CHECK IN -- SUPER NICE PIC, GEORGE!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:06 am

We're all rootin' for your QUICK and SAFE recovery, Miss A! Get well.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:10 am

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks, Chris, need lots of positive thoughts and prayers so I can heal and get back over to Harvey's/Johnie's/Bob's! If you blink your eyes and glance back at these pix, you can't help but smile...it's just business as usual!

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:06 pm

Cyclone Kevin wrote:Well,
This finish line is seriously in sight! Oct 19th Monday is Opening Day!

Woo Hoo! I can't wait 'till Monday!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:09 pm

Since I can't drive or be up and about, I would like to ride over to the Broiler on Halloween night in the Ghostbusters ambulance!! That would be too cool, to just lie there under the car canopy with a drive-in tray clipped to the side sipping a Silver Goblet milkshake!!!!

The last time I talked to the Ghostbusters guy was at Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake during the Red Cross Blood Drive...does anyone have his contact info???

I have to be there.

2Tone
Modern Socialite

Postby 2Tone » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:21 pm

I'm back and it was amazing! Congratulations to everyone who put in the effort to bring the broiler back! I'll have some pictures up in a few days and I can't wait to go again!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:27 pm

PRESS TELEGRAM

Bob's Big Boy opens in historic Johnie's Broiler spot

By Jonathan Smith, Staff Writer
Posted: 10/19/2009 06:57:53 PM PDT

DOWNEY - It was hard to tell the hipsters from the squares Monday, but owner Jim Louder was more concerned about the smiles on their faces.

"The support we've been getting is really touching," Louder said. "We're going to be here a long time."...

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_13596494

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:40 pm

CBS2 NEWS

Oct 19, 2009 1:35 pm US/Pacific
Bob's Big Boy To Open In Downey

Reporting: Michele Gile DOWNEY (CBS) ―

Bob's Big Boy is opening in Downey, Monday, October 19.

Get ready for some mouth-watering burgers! Bob's Big Boy is coming to Downey.

http://cbs2.com/local/Bobs.Big.Boy.2.1187629.html

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:33 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:41 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

On the positive side (vs Parasol)

Postby modfan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:26 pm

I drove by this weekend and it looked pretty busy. Folks waiting in line and taking pictures, woulda stopped for a bite but I just ate.

Cyclone Kevin
Modern Fan

Postby Cyclone Kevin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:43 pm

3rd and 1/2 week in. All looks good. we are doing great as a business and have broken all previous sales records for any news BBB restaurants.

Thanks to Mod Com members who have come out and grabbed a bite, we appreciate the support. If ya haven't been out yet, make a point to make it a trip destination, heck even our Miss A's both have.
And one of them is still recovering from back surgery. Get well soon Adriene We need ya!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:42 pm

The old "Fat Boy" mascot from the Johnie's days is up again at the Broiler and he's HUGE.

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:06 am

I had tried to post from the Broiler, but somehow screwed it up. So I got to go there Saturday and it is indeed awesome. The architecture is very cool and I really love the sparkling ceiling with the atomic lighting!

I was never there when it was the Broiler (didnt live in LA then) but I would imagine it would make any Broiler fan happy. I think the architects did a great job!

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:08 am

I had tried to post from the Broiler, but somehow screwed it up. So I got to go there Saturday and it is indeed awesome. The architecture is very cool and I really love the sparkling ceiling with the atomic lighting!

I was never there when it was the Broiler (didnt live in LA then) but I would imagine it would make any Broiler fan happy. I think the architects did a great job!

Cyclone Kevin
Modern Fan

Postby Cyclone Kevin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:27 pm

:D Thanx, Happy Bunny,
We as Coalition To Save The Broiler Members along Fmr Mod-Com Chair influence will gladly take that compliment. It was a very long and hard road to travel down and at times it almost looked impossible, but there was never a time that we didn't "feel in our hearts that it wouldn't get done". Merry X-mas and hope that you visit it many times again in the coming New Year.

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:23 am

An update so everyone can see how great the new Bob's Big Boy Broiler is doing! Check out out Facebook page to see pix from the latest events and car shows, then come visit us in person! Thanks for posting all these terrific albums, Lindsey!

http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=205479180906

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Finally got there. One thing that surprised me was the large "STEAKS SHAKES PANCAKES" lettering inside, apparently from one of the old 1950s/1960s signs. I remember that from the old Culver City Bob's, and I think either the Buena Park or Anaheim had it on their sign as well. The manager didn't know where that came from, or even that Bob's used to have that on their signs, but he said that the letters are made from tin, and that they were rusty and painted white when they arrived, so that sounds like they're original. And he sold me a copy of Adriene's book. :D

My only quibble is that the "Bob's" lettering on the big sign doesn't look quite right. At least it doesn't quite match the Burbank/Toluca Lake font, which has slightly thicker letters. Oh well.

And because I just happened to come across it today, here's an old photo of the Eagle Rock Bob's.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71172705@N00/4208296087/

egads
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby egads » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Cyclone Kevin
Modern Fan

Postby Cyclone Kevin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:38 pm

egads wrote:Image

Can you believe that this building still exists! Stop in for Thai-Boys while cruising Colorado!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Deanna, great yearbook pic of the Eagle Rock Bob's! The "Steaks Shakes Pancakes" signs are original, they're from the Wilshire Bob's (R.I.P.). Thank you for buying one of our books! :D

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:13 pm

There's some discussion of the Broiler going on at the Conservancy's Facebook page. Some people are insisting that all that survived the illegal demolition was the sign. However, my photos of the wreckage show a good portion of the building still standing. Was that portion used in the reconstruction? Or did they knock it down and start from scratch?

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 am

Gnomus wrote:There's some discussion of the Broiler going on at the Conservancy's Facebook page. Some people are insisting that all that survived the illegal demolition was the sign. However, my photos of the wreckage show a good portion of the building still standing. Was that portion used in the reconstruction? Or did they knock it down and start from scratch?

Check out Page 6 of this thread. The supports for the car awning also remained: http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_downey ... 239642017/

Plus, they saved some of the rockwork, etc. to reattach to the rebuilt structure.

Not sure if you have to have a Facebook account to see this, but here's a photo of the old Mission Hills Bob's.
http://tinyurl.com/yb3dmaj

If you don't have Facebook, here it is:

The sign on the left is very similar to the one that's still standing at the ex-Bob's on La Crescenta.

That one really needs to be reBobinated.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:37 pm

"reBobinated"

Is that the technical term for reversing a Bobectomy?

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Either that, or for one that's become discomBobulated.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:47 pm

Nice!

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”