1971 Sears mirror cube

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1971 Sears mirror cube

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:30 pm

The 1971 ex-Sears, Roebuck and Co. Western regional headquarters in Alhambra is undergoing a major facade replacement. Tell us where this world is heading, Daniel Paul.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapscot/123603135/
Last edited by nichols on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:36 pm

Approved five years ago. Phase III and IV = $4.2 million, Exempt from CEQA, Exempt from living wage...

http://lacounty.info/omd/q1_2003/cms1_005358.pdf

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:19 pm

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

my 2 cents

Postby modfan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:25 am

Doesn't say anything about the exterior. Seems tho that you can't do much other than a total demolish to change to something 'Tuscan'y'
(ugh) I can completely understand the interior changes as I work n a similar building (that big glass box at the corner of Lafayette Park near Wilshire/Hoover) The fire protection systems failed and we were outta the bldg. for a month the landlord (not a county owned bldg) got some half assed ways so that the bldg could be reoccupied and he gettin the rent money. The computer system is all retrofitted with extra columns running everywhere (for cabling). The electrical system is stressed that the transformers get overheated and sometimes electric goes out, they don't like folks using the personal heater fans.
The carpet needs replacing on a few floors, some window panes leak
the elevators work strangely (I think the bldg. is haunted) and security is retrofitted (the courts are in this bldg. too) . If the window panels are replaced in both bldgs. they probably will be something more 'high tech' but similar looking with dual glazing, glare reduction etc. I wouldn't be surprised that exterior wise it both of them wouldn't look much different than they are now if the window panels were changed out.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”