"Ugliest Building" in L.A. contest

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

"Ugliest Building" in L.A. contest

Postby nichols » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:08 am

Union Station. Hollywood Bowl. Chateau Marmont. All stunning structures. Yes, Los Angeles is so beautiful that sometimes we are moved to tears. But other times, we cry because this city is so very ugly. And Momma always said pretty doesn't last, so in the spirit of ugly, Curbed LA is holding its first-ever Ugliest Building Contest.
The rules are simple. The structure must be located in Los Angeles and be at least two stories. Commercial, residential or civic. Excluded are single-family homes (so no pics of your neighbor's McMansion).

To enter, email us one of the following: 1. a picture. 2. web link. 3. Local Live Link. Just get us a damn pic, basically. Also, please provide address of the building and a line or two about why the structure is offensive.

Entries must be received by March 31, 2007. A panel of judges will select the winner and runner-ups. The winner, announced at the end of the month, will receive a free dinner for four at Shakey's Pizza AND prominent mention on Curbed LA. Get your ugly on, Curbed readers. And good luck.

http://la.curbed.com/

MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby MD² » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Quite a coincidence...

While making a search the other day for my thread, I came upon next door which made me think about starting a "most grotesque building" thread using ...

Looking at this from a "critical" point of view, what would you think about posting "grotesque" pieces of architecture on this thread using local.live? Or shall we start a new thread... or would we be better off just to forget about it?

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Hmm

Postby modfan » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Casa Pretentia?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:01 pm

I wonder if any of these previous entries (for a similar contest) would meet the Curbed criteria?

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1875

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”