Googie motel in Long Beach to become condos and retail?

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Googie motel in Long Beach to become condos and retail?

Postby nichols » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:56 am

http://www.seaportmarinahotel.com/
Googie motel in Long Beach to become condos and retail space?
http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_5448603
Last edited by nichols on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:50 am

Not sure what designates this as a Googie motel as its a very plain building with no MCM-type features that I have noticed -- and I drive past it on a regular basis.

You will notice, in the linked article, that not one of the objectors suggest it has any architectural significance.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:31 pm

It was brought to my attention by a Long Beachian who considered it important. The photo I posted shows a folded plate roof, a classic googie characteristic. I'd love to see more photos and background on this place. That image sort of reminded me of the Park Plaza on 3rd St. in Los Angeles.
Last edited by nichols on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:08 pm

This motel has some MCM characteristics (the roof and some trim) but I wouldnt consider it googie by any stretch. The place is an eyesore and the current owners do nothing to make it nice as they ran it into the ground. It is the worst property in the area. I dont believe there is much about it worth preserving--if it did have more googie-esque features, they have long since been removed. It is just an ugly pink and teal concrete block. It looks like some cheap remodeling went on in the 80s.

That said, I wish it wasnt yet more condos and shopping going in there.
Last edited by HappyBunny on Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:13 am

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:11 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:17 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:27 am

WOW, now that I see what this place looks like, I'm all over it. Apparently that folded plate roof above is one teensy piece of this amazing hotel.

Image(photos by James)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:55 pm

From the EIR:

“The hotel would not qualify as a historic resource due to it’s relatively recent date of construction, no known association with historic persons or events and no distinguishing architectural style. The hotel and parking lot would not be considered a historic resource for CEQA review purposes.â€￾

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Edgewater Inn (1963)

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:54 pm

Yes, the building has googie-esque features on it. But that doesn't make it a worthy piece of architecture. Its really a rather clunky, big, square block with these features done in a rather ham-fisted way. I can't really describe it but if you go see it, you will see what I mean. The building has no grace or design sense, really.

I am sure there were bad architects of the time who employed our beloved style, but did it poorly and I think this is one of those cases. I drive by it all the time and I usually just think "God, I wish they would get rid of that eyesore". That is *not* what I think when I see good examples of Googie, believe me! This isnt one of the cool Doo-Wop motels, unfortunately.

I am sure though, that some ugly faux tuscan thing is going up in its stead, so I dont think that is much of an improvement.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:04 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Long Beach condo plan touches a nerve
A plan to replace a marina-area hotel with residential towers stirs fears of congestion.
By Sharon Bernstein and Deborah Schoch, Times Staff Writers
July 10, 2007

Map

The SeaPort Marina Hotel sits at the corner of Pacific Coast Highway and 2nd Street in Long Beach, looking like a worn postcard from the 1950s — a sprawling low-rise complex of pink buildings above the marina that has clearly seen better days.

Neighbors say the place is an eyesore — and some hotel guests have complained in Internet chat rooms that the accommodations are dirty and smelly.

But a plan to tear down the landmark building and erect 170,000 square feet of shops and 425 luxury condos has met with stiff opposition from many Long Beach residents, who see it as an unwanted part of the booming port city's march toward high-density urbanism....

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... 9226.story

kjansma
Modern Master

Postby kjansma » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:13 am

Perhaps the ugly security gate was installed at the Park Plaza after my friend's parents were robbed at gunpoint while in town for the said friend's wedding. Of course that was 1997, before the fabulous Grove came into the neighborhood.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Lennar Pulls Plan Off Table

It’s back to square one for Lennar Homes, the developer seeking to replace SeaPort Marina Hotel with a mixed-use project at the corner of Second Street and Pacific Coast Highway.

http://www.gazettes.com/seaport11012007.html

AtomicGirl
Modern Groupie

Postby AtomicGirl » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:52 pm

Did anyone challenge the EIRs findings and argue that the building is potentially architecturally significant?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:43 pm

I did not.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:22 pm

scowsa

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 pm

I'm pretty sure that's the Seaport Marina in an ad shown during the 2009 Super Bowl (around 0:16).

(A little later, the same ad also shows the marquee of the Warner Grand in San Pedro.)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:55 am

Yes, definitely. Good eye!

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:01 pm

The hotel was built in 1963 (not sure of the architect, although someone at the site confirmed that they still have the original blueprints). There were some updates in 1983, including the addition of a wing that now blocks the marina view from the pool area. Among other changes, the dining room once had a full window wall that looked out to the marina. It was "discovered" during the remodel for Shore Ultra Lounge, which now occupies that part of the building. Overall, the building is in decay, but retains many of its original architectural details from 1963.

One of the main arguments from the developer is that the new project will create a complex that is more open to the water, but the original building does in fact have that connection with the marina (as much as anything can considering the set back/frontage road). It's just that the building is in such disrepair that few ever visit the property to understand its potential. Simply removing the 80's additions and once again utilizing the balconies and courtyard areas, that connection with the marina could be stronger.

In its current condition, the building is a bit of an eyesore and, as a Long Beach resident, I do agree that a mixed-use development merging retail and residential would be a nice addition to this area. However, I disagree with the current plans that call for a complex inspired by a mediterranean seaside village. If they want to capture the spirit of Long Beach, as they say they do, at the very least they could keep a similar architectural style to the current hotel (although ideally the current structure could just be adapted). Why not look to places like Hotel Valley Ho or hotels in Palm Springs such as the 1965 Howard Johnson (now Ace Hotel) for inspiration? This is still a hot topic here in Long Beach and I'd love to hear your feedback. You can check out the developer's site (www.secondandpch.com) for plans and a video clip.

houseplant
Modern Groupie

Sea-Port sprawl

Postby houseplant » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:03 am

Because I live 20 minutes from the location, I walk past the hotel about twice a week and see nothing special in it - it tends to look better from the rear side (non-PCH) where the building lines repeat and delight

The distracting part about the Sea-Port is the crummy pieces of wood and metal they call a sign...the sign literaly looks like a ship wreck...also the sprawling parking lot is unkempt and its concrete is in shambles

The annual Thacker strawberry seller is on the corner now, and brings a bit of life to the experience

It's a vast piece of land and maybe some company can do something better with it. Chances are the Sea-Port will close forever and the building will further deteriorate over the intervening years.

The TV program "DEXTER" shot a few episodes around the Sea-Port just this past season, including in the lobby, eatery area...and diagonally in the oil fields
it's not whether you win or lose,
it's how much team merchandise you sell

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:01 am

First off, the Conservancy and ModCom have not taken a position on this building. I've mentioned it in a couple of meetings to lukewarm response. and imagining (given the track record of preservation in Long Beach) no locals speak up for it, no one will have to worry about this building sticking around to celebrate it's 50th. The issue to me isn't it's integrity or architecture or planning. I feel that it completely embodies the easy breezy, car-oriented, room enough for everything, wide-open spaces lifestyle of 1963 California. However, It always baffles me how a bad paint job, physical deterioration or inappropriate additions make the original building completely invisible to people. Take a look at that rendering above. Wow! What more could you ask for in a googie motel? If you're evaluating it as that it blows anything else away. You'd be hard pressed to find a half a dozen SoCal midcentury roadside motels that rival it. I find that most motels are judged by their fantastic neon signs alone. Why do you think they do so much filming at Seaport? It's unique and special. HOWEVER, it has a lousy sign, bad additions and (most of all from a developers point of view) too little leasable square footage, too much landscaping and open space and a dumpy tenant. I know y'all want your high end retail, but that developer is speaking Newport-ese in a decidedly non-OC locale.

Yes, I totally agree that The Ace, Palm Springs Riviera, Caliente Tropics, Farmers Daughter, Valley Ho and the Pearl in San Diego are fabulous. For the most part, they just removed the later additions, cleaned up what was there and repurposed it into upscale lodging and what had always been there suddenly became visible to people. Out of the thousands of roadside motels, high and low, this has happened just a handful of times across the country. It requires tremendous vision and clientele that I don't necessarily see coming to Long Beach. Being Long Beach, I imagine the hotel could be restored and reopened if it were to cater to a specific population, i.e. LGBT backpackers or Buddhist retreaters, but the lot is too big and the land is too valuable for such a marginal use.

This proposed project is mega-dense and the contemporary architecture doesn't read "Mediterranean Village" to me, but I'm sure folks will enjoy it as another anonymous neighborhood shopping center and condos, spreading their "high-dense intense" mood all over our beautiful googie wonderland.

Can you cite the memorable architecture and place-making of faux Mediterranean villages like Trio in Pasadena or um... any of them?

So here are the plans, and try to look at it as a real estate developer. How could you possibly choose ANY motel or coffee shop or midcentury retail over this? It's like having 10 of them, all full of high paying tenants, stacked on top of each other. It's like the Dagwood sandwich of positive cash flow. Makes complete sense. Enjoy.

Now
Proposed
Now
Proposed
Last edited by nichols on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HappyBunny
Modern Socialite

Postby HappyBunny » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:15 pm

The proposed plan is just hideous. It looks like Irvine. Since I actually live in the neighborhood (Belmont Shore) I will definitely write my counsel member and tell him what I think of this mess. Not that he will care, he is decidedly pro-developer. But the mood in the neighborhood is against a tall building and more traffic.

I know I spoke out against the mess that is this hotel, but I would be willing to see what might be done with perhaps part of it (I think the rooms are probably the least interesting part of the building). It is just that when you see this mess every time you drive by, you just feel disgust and irritation with the slumlords that own it and you wish for something nicer to be there. The shipwreck sign (excellent description) , dirt lot and strawberry kiosk make the whole thing extra lovely. But we dont want some ugly shopping plaza with Developer Moderne or whatever pastiche of styles they force in there.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon May 10, 2010 9:56 am

Reginaob
Modern Groupie

Help Save the Seaport Marine Motel!!

Postby Reginaob » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:46 pm

rr

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Local historian Stan Poe provides some historic context on SeaPort Marina in a recent Press-Telegram article with video (for the article scroll halfway down):

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_15178351
Last edited by jasonf on Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonf
Modern Socialite

Postby jasonf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:48 pm

In the above-referenced video, Poe identifies the architect as Roy Sealey. After a quick search, I found that Sealey is an African American architect who designed this Crenshaw landmark, a veterinary hospital.

http://www.paulrwilliamsproject.org/new ... renovated/

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:41 am

Comments will be due on the new DEIR for Seaport Marina by April 25th. ModCom will be sending out a e-alert with instructions soon, so be sure you're on the mailing list! http://lac.laconservancy.org/signup

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:15 am

Action Alert

SEAPORT MARINA HOTEL IN LONG BEACH SLATED FOR DEMOLITION
Public Comments Due April 25

The Seaport Marina Hotel in Long Beach, a Googie-style garden motel complex adjacent to the Alamitos Bay Marina, is slated for demolition to make way for the massive, mixed-use Second+PCH development. A draft environmental impact report (EIR) was initially released in 2010 and reissued this March with no change to the project; only the traffic circulation was amended.

Designed by prominent African American architect Roy Sealy, the hotel was completed in 1963 and originally called the Edgewater Inn. The large site features two sprawling zigzag guest room wings originally housing 200 hotel rooms. These two-story buildings are symmetrically arranged to create partially enclosed courtyard spaces and offer each room a courtyard or ocean view. A separate building houses the public components, including the hotel office, restaurant and lounge spaces, and meeting rooms.

Although the complex suffers from deferred maintenance and later additions, the buildings maintain a high level of architectural integrity, with distinctive features including unique Y-shaped piers supporting a diamond-patterned roofline of the main building; a folded-plate roofline of a circular office wing; decorative concrete block screens; and original diamond-patterned metal railings.

Neither the previous nor the current draft EIR identifies the Seaport Marina Hotel as a historic resource, and no preservation alternative is evaluated. We consider the hotel a fine example of Roy Sealy’s work and one of a few surviving examples of a 1960s Googie-style hotel.

As such, we ask that the Seaport Marina Hotel be considered a historic resource in the EIR process, and that at least one feasible preservation alternative be evaluated. Alternatives to demolition include adaptively reusing the entire historic hotel or incorporating portions -- including the most distinctive elements -- into the proposed development.

Please Comment by April 25

Please comment on the draft EIR by 4:30pm on Monday, April 25. Let the City of Long Beach know that the Seaport Marina Hotel is a historic resource and should be reused, in its entirety or as part of the Second+PCH development.

Although they should be in your own words and reflect your own experience, to be most effective, your comments should address the following points:

The Seaport Marina Hotel is a historic resource and should be considered as such in the final EIR.
At least one feasible preservation alternative must be evaluated.
Demolition permits should not be issued before the applicant demonstrates the financial means to complete any proposed and approved development.

Letters should be addressed to:

Craig Chalfant
City of Long Beach
Department of Development Services
333 W. Ocean Blvd., 5th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802
Email: craig.chalfant@longbeach.gov

Please copy fchou@laconservancy.org and preservation@lbheritage.org on your emails.

View the draft EIR here: http://lac.laconservancy.org/site/R?i=7 ... 0IsuP0HUg..

Thank you for your support!

SFG
Modern Socialite

Postby SFG » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:58 pm

I found this great postcard from the opening year of Edgewater Inn (a.k.a. Seaport Marina Hotel).

The back includes some additional info:

Originally named Jim Stockman's Edgewater Inn
200 Beautiful rooms and suites, all with radio, TV, and air conditioning, overlooking the World's largest yacht marina.
Home of the magnificent Parisian Dining Room, the exotic Sabre Room and the Bavarian Coffee Shop.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”