A fond farewell to LA's last Pussycat Theater

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

A fond farewell to LA's last Pussycat Theater

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:56 pm

I'm not proposing any kind of goodbye fete at the Pussycat Theater on Western at Sunset. I've gotten as far as the lobby and I'm far too afraid to go further inside. My curiousity only took me to the proprietor's front desk/concession stand to ask what happened to his three pussycat logo signs which had recently been removed from the front of the theater. The answer was not as rude as he was -- the signs have apparently been placed into storage and he knows that they are valuable. At least they weren't thrown away or carted off by some Melrose middleman.

As for the rest of the theater, its final day is July 30th and then it will be demolished to make way for a shiny, new Walgreens.

I didn't ask, but perhaps the owner will let you take a vintage souvenir theater seat with you if you catch the last film. Beware of the stains on the brown, flocked wallpaper. You're on your own...

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

With the advent of

Postby modfan » Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:54 am

VCR's, DVD's, PPV and the internet, why get spotted going to adult theater when you can discreetly view the product at home.:wink:
Even the tenderloin area of SF and Times Square in NYC are getting Disneyfied (and Walgreen'd)

Velas
Modern Master

Postby Velas » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:31 am

Man, I will miss that place because I love how they would always change the name of the lady on the marquee. COME SEE AMBER! COME SEE MAYA! And the best is that they had an odd combination of moveable red type - some with sparkles on them and some without. The whole thing is very ghetto. I wish they could keep it and turn it into a church or something....wah!
ww.panoramaonview.org

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:34 am

i miss the lady with the flashing red breasts in san francisco - does anyone else remember this sign?

when i was very little, I remember a driving trip to san francisco. my dad wanted to drive through the red light district. not knowing what that was - my brother and i were all set to see a new sight. then when we got there - i was entranced with the giant ?neon? lady sign. my mom was quick to say - honey i think we need to leave this area!

but i wanted to stay - it was so colorful and vibrant - lots of people out and about in the middle of the night...

are there any cool vintage friendly red light districts left in the world?

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:43 am

modfan

Flashing red breasts

Postby modfan » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:49 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:00 am

modfan

For you Bay Area posters----Was it Carol Doda

Postby modfan » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:20 am

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:30 pm

The Pussycat Theater will soon cross its legs and say goonight forever.

There's only an hour and a half left to catch the last (straight) bigscreen skinflick in the city.

Go, boy, go! Hurry up!

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:15 pm

The Pussycat Theater has now been demolished.

Coming soon to the corner of Western and Sunset will be yet another drug store: RiteAid, Walgreens, SaveOn, whatever. This new mixed use development will also have 56 unit of housing thanks to the work of the Hollywood Community Housing Corporation.

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:18 pm

Was thinking about the Pussycat the other day when I came across this. You'll recall punk rock all-gal band the Raunchettes? Well, here's Kiy Raunchette outside the Santa Monica Pussycat ca. 1985.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Re: A fond farewell to LA's last Pussycat Theater

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:04 am

davidk6
Location: LA one month in winter and one month in summer; NJ suburbs of NYC the rest of the year

Re: A fond farewell to LA's last Pussycat Theater

Postby davidk6 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:55 am

Marxist Philosophy: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:19 pm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:59 pm

No, ModCom never had a formal meeting at the Pussycat, but some of our members may have had informal meetings of their own.

Hee!

losfeliz
Modern Master

What's new, Pussycat?

Postby losfeliz » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:57 pm

Guys, thank you for making this one of my favorite MODCOM threads. And you are right, this is the triumph of the private over the public, that is, jerking off at home vs. in public. So in that sense, civilization marches on ... or does it? Debra L.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Re: What's new, Pussycat?

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:14 pm

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:25 am

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”