URGENT ACTION Maude Frazier Hall - PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

URGENT ACTION Maude Frazier Hall - PLEASE SIGN THE PETITION

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:30 pm

It will only take 30 seconds of your life - to make a huge impact

SAVE MAUDE FRAZIER HALL.
SIGN THE PEITION NOW.

http://www.petitiononline.com/saveunlv/petition.html

FROM THE Preservation Association of Clark County Website:

The University of Nevada Las Vegas devised a master plan in 2004 that calls for the demolition of the university’s first building, the Maude Frazier Hall, built in 1957. The purpose for the demolition is to make way for a new Maryland Parkway entrance that can be a more eye pleasing focal point for the university than what is currently there.

The building was named after Maude Frazier who was a trail blazing educator in Southern Nevada. Frazier arrived in Las Vegas in 1921 and was a maverick for her time, as a woman and a teacher. She was known for her spunk and shrugged off the conventions of the time that required teachers to refrain from dancing or other forms of harmless entertainment. She became the high school principal and convinced the public to pass a $350,000 bond to build the Las Vegas High School (now the Academy). She later served in the state legislature for 12 years and was the first female Lt. Governor. Among her other accomplishments was persuading the state to appropriate $200,000 to build a university in Southern Nevada and then with the help of Archie Grant and R. Guild Gray, raised an additional $100,000 to finish the job. It was only fitting that the university’s first building should be named after Southern Nevada’s most influential early educator.

Frazier Hall currently houses Student Enrollment and Financial Services. Once these departments are transferred to a newer building, Frazier Hall will be demolished in about 16 months. Rather than destroy a part of Southern Nevada history, UNLV should embrace it and find a way to incorporate this historic structure into its new plans.
Last edited by Futura Girl on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:43 am

JMVegas5866
Modern Socialite

Postby JMVegas5866 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:13 pm

Wow I had no idea about this. I Was at UNLV last year to visit their impressive Special Collections Library. I entered the university on Maryland Parkway but I can't remember if I saw this building or not. I will be going back there again this summer. I will have to look for it and take a picture. Anyone been inside this building? If so is there anything interesting worth seeing thats part of the architecture?
Damien
South Jersey

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:05 pm

Josh Geidel
Modern Socialite

Postby Josh Geidel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:30 pm

http://www.pacc.info/ktmlpro/files/uplo ... 202007.pdf
Page three, a bit of a point/counter-point about the significance of Frazier Hall.

Most succinctly its importance can be summed up in the following sentiment:

The structure is named after one of the most influential female figures in the history of the State of Nevada and it's educational system and it is the FIRST building to be built on the campus of UNLV. (read FIRST!!) LOL

Other institutions might celebrate the significance of the individual for whom the building is named and seek to preserve the structure as a touchstone of the campus's history.

Is it architecturally significant? Clearly, according to the less than complimentary viewpoint of Patrick Klenk, that is a question be viewed through the eye of the beholder.

Yet, whats more than his terse deconstruction of the building's architectural identity, is the building's clearly defined place in our community's social and cultural history.

Reflecting on my own collegiate experience and the fond memory's I have of reading the "historical significance placard" on the University of Wisconsin's first structure, North Hall, I surely would lament future student's opportunities to reflect on the places that STARTED the institutions they in time grow to love.

As the matriarch of UNLV's campus, Frazier Hall should be saved, not only for our own gratification, but for the enrichment of generations to come.

North Hall, by the way, was constructed in 1851. And, no doubt, somewhere along the line between 1851 and 2001 someone said, "Hey... look at this North Hall, it is old, outdated of its original application and frankly 'in the way'". Now, say that person, a hustling and bustling institutional developer of say the the 1910's, had had their way... well.. this story certainly wouldn't exist... nor would the venerated place the building holds today.

Just because this structure isn't any older than some of those who seek to do away with it does not in the least diminish its current and future historical significance. To deny that fact and simplemindedly overlook the significance of this structure is... well... dumb.

Josh Geidel
Modern Socialite

Postby Josh Geidel » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:51 pm

Tentative meeting date and time:
Friday, November 9th
6:00pm
UNLV Campus, exact location to be determined

Hope to see everyone there.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:10 am

FROM PACO:

Hello Historic Preservationists,
There will be a meeting with University Regent Mark Alden regarding Frazier Hall to be held Friday, November 9th at the TAM Alumni Center on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The meeting will begin promptly at 5PM the meeting will be for approximetly 30 minutes.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact Brian Paco Alvarez at 280-3498.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:24 pm

well we met and we're going to plan a couple of outreach events... those will be posted under our events forum as soon as we have the dates and times available. (and will be linked from this thread)

but in the meantime...
here's our LOGO!

please pass it along and use it and link people back to this thread if they want to join the discussion.
tell them the secret word to join this forum is " Mickey " (as in mouse)

Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rally

Postby Dr. Swanky » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:23 pm

I just spoke with Heidi Manlove, the President of UNLV's Anthropology Society. She is sending an email out as we speak to clear their sponsorship of our rally with all of the society officers. She is very excited about doing this and is pretty positive no one will be opposed to sponsoring us. As soon as I hear back from her, I'll book the space.

Heidi

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:08 pm

Pending final approval from heidi
Ralley is set for
Wednesday November 28
Lunch hour
11:30-12:30
Last edited by Futura Girl on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:13 pm

Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite

Date

Postby Dr. Swanky » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:50 pm

You mean Wednesday Nov. 28th, right? Not the 25th.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:52 pm

#-o

DOH!

Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite

UNLV Anthropology Society

Postby Dr. Swanky » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:42 pm

The Anthropology Society will be happy to sponsor our rally. They are also willing to hand out flyers about the event to students on campus. Their only requirement is that this be framed as a co-sponsored event and that they be able to put out the UNLV Anthropology Society banner.

I sent an email off to the event people at UNLV to try to get the space for 11/28 from 11:30-12:30. I should hear back from them on Monday.

Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite

Postby Dr. Swanky » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:09 pm

Here is where the rally stands at this point:

1. UNLV wants $200 for use of the Alumni Amphitheater, which I'm not sure Atomic Age can swing.

2. I emailed with Andy Kirk of Preserve Nevada (and a UNLV prof.). He suggested meeting with administrators before going ahead with a rally. He is going to be out of town for the rest of the week and unavailable via email.

3. I emailed John to ask if we could legally be on campus without university permission, since the land is state owned.

I do think that once we have this event nailed down, we should let the President know in advance and maybe invite him to the event. Since we know that the President is the one who is suggesting the tearing down of Maude's hall, we might want to send him a quick letter regarding our stance (but I know time is short on this one...).

Will post after I hear more. If anyone has any suggestions...

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:02 pm

See this thread for information on our Rally

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=61146

Dr. Swanky
Modern Socialite

Call from Regent Alden

Postby Dr. Swanky » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:35 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:58 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:41 pm

JMVegas5866
Modern Socialite

Postby JMVegas5866 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:40 pm

Damien

South Jersey

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:50 pm

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Wow--great to see so many signatures so quickly! 8-)

I've never seen the building in person (I meant to check it out in October but time got away from me...it's definitely on my list for next time), but I have a strong fondness for the building nonetheless. I think it's because it looks exactly like my old junior high school.

I'm sorry I can't attend the rally (being several hundred miles away doesn't help) but I will definitely be there in spirit.
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner

Josh Geidel
Modern Socialite

Postby Josh Geidel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Now thats ^^^ a nice looking building. Can't wait to have it back to the glorious state we see above.

moderns-r-us
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby moderns-r-us » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:38 pm

Are there any recent pictures?
"Better Living Through Modernism"

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:32 pm

i have a sketch i did - will try and get that posted.

the landascaping is so grosssly over done/grown - you cannot see the lines of the building anymore.

JMVegas5866
Modern Socialite

Postby JMVegas5866 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:24 pm

Damien

South Jersey

Josh Geidel
Modern Socialite

Postby Josh Geidel » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:25 pm

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:03 pm

here's my drawing of what the building might look like if you left a few choice mature plants in there and streamlined the landscaping.

also the windows on the left wing need to be re-done.

the building had a horrible remuddling at some point - they blocked out the left windows and added tons of square footage in back and messed with the original footprint.
i realized this after looking at the air shots from 1957.

more recent pics are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atomicagea ... 313196574/

Mark A
Modern Fan

Postby Mark A » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:10 pm

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I signed the petition.
I did a quick study in Sketchup of for the restoration of this great building.

First of all, this building is in an area where "green" is more a must than a trend. The water situation in Vegas is critical. Therefor, the landscaping needs to be drought tolerant. The desert landscaping not only conserves water, it also enhances and exposes the clean and simple lines of the architecture. Palms, Yuccas and Birds of Paradise are architectural in themselves.

I pulled the brick work (on the left half of the building) into the landscaping, which ties the landscaping in with the structure.

I also used other natural materials to reface the building - Terrazzo, stainless steel and concrete.

The last 3 image shows the addition of a outdoor, covered waiting/study area. I feel additions that make sense are OK as long as they are in keeping with the mid-century design, add a needed functionality and do not take away from the original.

I'm looking forward to all your comments and suggestions.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:23 pm

i love it mark!!!!!
can we do some nice large printouts and share them with the regents tomorrow morning?

my only request is using the 'old school' (Pardon the pun) original nuetra style lettering (see the photo above) - we don't have enough examples of this 1950s metal lettering left in las vegas. it would be nice to have some where it used to be.

ALSO josh - i'm going to send you a note - Jon Ralston wants someone from our group to go on his show for 3 minutes to talk about restoration.
tomorrow at 2PM at CBS studios.

are you down with going on behalf of our group?

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”