Walgreens to destroy 1955 Chinese joint in D.C.

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Walgreens to destroy 1955 Chinese joint in D.C.

Postby nichols » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:37 am

PRESERVATION ONLINE
Yenching Palace, where Henry Kissinger met with Chinese diplomats in the 1970s, will close this summer to make way for Walgreens. (Seth Gaines)

Walgreens To Move into Historic D.C. Restaurant

Story by Margaret Foster / Apr. 26, 2007

The Washington, D.C., restaurant that was the site of 1962's Cuban Missile Crisis negotiations will become a Walgreens.

Yesterday the city's historic preservation review board approved a developer's revised proposal to build an addition onto the Chinese restaurant and alter its facade. At the board's request, Rust, Orling and Neale, Architects, will return the restaurant to its 1945 appearance, retaining features like its diamond windows and Carrara glass panels.

"We've really addressed every single concern [the board] had," says principal Mark Orling, based in Alexandria, Va. The firm's researchers found one photo of the former restaurant and based their design on that image, Orling says. "We're working off of a postcard."...

http://www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/news/index.htm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:38 am

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:57 pm

And to think that Walgreens was once a modern store with big neon signs and those cool space age entrance gates. Now I find a Walgreens at the site of every modern building destroyed. I refuse to buy from them anymore.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue May 01, 2007 10:41 pm

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Wed May 02, 2007 8:02 am

Wallgreen's track record is sickening. It seems they go out of their way to find cool old buildings to knock down. I won't shop there, and haven't since the Kahiki.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Wed May 02, 2007 11:38 am

Well you guys beat me to it. I was just at the Yenching last night. It is my favorite Chinese restaurant in the world and I have been going there since I was a kid. In fact, I was friends with the sons of one of the former owners and we used to run through the kitchen as kids, raising the ire of the chefs. :cheers:

The Yenching Palace is amazing. The interior looks like a noir movie set where Charlie Chan or Bogart are going to appear any moment. The food is great and it has the requisite Tiki drinks. There is still an original Bell System wooden phone booth in the lobby. The booths and tables are streamlined modern made from wood. Asian antiques abound. I have taken some (analog) shots and I will eventually try to post them.

I am very upset about Walgreens coming in as well. However, what all the articles fail to say is that the the Yenching has not been doing very well for the past decade. It is that perception that angers all of us here- old is somehow bad. People now go to the trendy Pan Asian places. So the owners, an older couple, are selling the building. There are no takers for the Yenching, so Walgreens is the winner. So do not blame them for everything. The public and their aversion to anything built before 1990 is ultimately responsible.

At least Cleveland Park is a historic district and some of the look will survive. Here is the proposal:

http://www.clevelandparkdc.org/yenching.htm

Words cannot describe the sadness I feel at the passing of this place. It is hackneyed to say so, but I feel as if one of the pillars of my life is being destroyed. I first sat down there in 1973. Do the math. I sat there with my late father at times. My son will be born in August and will never know the joy of this place. :(

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Thu May 24, 2007 12:41 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri May 25, 2007 6:57 am

How about this line from Walgreens?

Despite being listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1997, the Kahiki was torn down in 2000 to make way for a Walgreens store. According to a Walgreen's spokesman "Walgreens has a policy against destroying historic buildings... The company just doesn't think the Kahiki makes the cut. This building is unusual, but it's not very old."

http://www.agilitynut.com/tiki2.html

atomsmasher
Modern Groupie

Postby atomsmasher » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:02 pm

Here in Shreveport, La we had a Mr.Swiss hamburger stand from the 1950's that had all the original signs, furniture and owners. Wal-Greens tore it down to put in another silly drug store...like we don't have one on every corner already. I hate seeing what history we have being torn down, lose more everyday.

khummer
Modern Master

shreveport

Postby khummer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:51 am

shreveport has a lot of mid c. examples still around. Here this weekend from CA. It seems like the government only cares about building new things rather than holding its character.

atomsmasher
Modern Groupie

Postby atomsmasher » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:38 am

You are correct, we have a lot of the homes and buildings left, but losing 19 historical buildings in the last 10 years breaks one's heart, all in the name of progress. Walgreen's also took a church here build in the 50's in the Southern Hills area. I could go on, but you guys already get the message that they(Walgreens) don't care about our past!

khummer
Modern Master

19 that's awful

Postby khummer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:11 pm

We went to this new Italian restaurant here in Shreveport tonight, and the whole family was like a new senior center. No character, no class. Just a lovely L.A. hipenanddickural sand color all over. Not one bit of kitsch. The daters were in the green room, and the geriatric crowd in the beige room. We were the geriatrics under 40. It took us a while to calm down from the lack of aura. The food was lacking probably because there was no um in the yum in the atmosphere. If someone could reverse the past and bring back Brocato's in that killer streamline moderne with the soprano's like atmosphere, everything would be cool again in the world of frankie and dean.

I can think of soo... many places that Walgreen's has standardized and perhaps to make more people think that we Americans really want to eat in sterile places like this. Sorry, I go to restaurants to stare at all the nifty things around, not at the people.

(: A visitor in LA, and tomorrow back to L.A.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:51 pm

And another one bites the dust as Walgreens spreads homogeneity across the land.

Days Numbered for Illinois `Car Kabob'
AP; Posted: 2007-07-10 14:46:17

BERWYN, Ill. (AP) - A kitschy landmark that made a cameo in the movie "Wayne's World" will be dismantled to make way for a pharmacy.

Officially named the Spindle, the towering sculpture of eight cars impaled by a massive steel pipe became famous for its appearance in the 1992 comedy starring Mike Myers as Wayne and Dana Carvey as his buddy Garth.

Despite years of rust and layers of bird droppings, the Spindle - also known as the "Car Kabob" and the "Eight Car Pileup" - continues to draw movie fans to a shopping center parking lot in this suburb west of Chicago.

"From a marketing standpoint, I like the Spindle," said Berwyn Mayor Michael O'Connor. "It has definitely been a plus for the community."

Still, he said, the quirky sculpture will be removed this summer to make way for a Walgreens pharmacy. It could be moved elsewhere, though the cost of doing so would likely be high.

California artist Dustin Shuler, who built the piece in 1989, calls the dismantling "painful" and "a loss for Chicago."

"Personally, I would have moved the Walgreens and left the Spindle where it is," he said.

http://www.tomgoetz.com/midwest2004/midwest721.htm

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Walgreens strikes again

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:36 pm

Walgreens to Replace Rare Wisconsin Cobblestone Barn

Story by Margaret Foster / Jan. 7, 2008

Philadelphia
The city has condemned the National Register-listed barn, and Walgreens plans to clear the site for a new store.

This could be the last winter for a 19th-century cobblestone buildings in southeast Wisconsin.

Last month, the owner of the 1846 structure sold the site to Walgreens for a new store in Beloit, Wisc. The city issued a condemnation order to owner Mark Finnegan on Nov. 29, three weeks before the Dec. 18 sale, saying it was unsafe and too expensive to repair.

"The status of this special building always concerned me," says Steve Frevert, former chair of the Beloit landmarks commission. "Southeast Wisconsin has the only significant concentration of settlement-era cobblestone buildings outside of New York State. The city of Beloit has less than half a dozen left. I believe this is the only non-residential cobblestone building in the region."

Finnegan bought the barn in 1996 and has used it for storage for his family's recreational-vehicle company.

http://www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/a ... 010708.htm

tallrick
Modern Socialite

Postby tallrick » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:22 am

One place I grew up bowling at. Hialeah Lanes was demolished to be replaced by....you guessed it....a Walgreens. Walgreens also popped up where a cool 50's style medical building was, a two-story modern dream replaced by a one story clone. Recently Don Carter's Kendall lanes was demolished for a shopping center, and guess what is on the corner now....Walgreens. The funny thing is that I used to like Walgreens because their stores were all modern and had that lighted gate at the entrance that opened up and those little shopping carts with the poles attatched to them. The few remaining old Walgreens have all been modernized, and the cool lights discarded, terrazzo covered up. Now I refuse to buy anything from Walgreens.
Make modern your own, don't trust others to- it's our future.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”