Karen Carpenter Home may be demolished

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
retrocool
Modern Master

Karen Carpenter Home may be demolished

Postby retrocool » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I just found this in the paper.

Retrocool

Here is the article for the Downey Patriot.

Is Carpenter House headed for demolition?
By Eric Pierce
DOWNEY--Here we go again?

Internet message boards were buzzing this week with rumors that the famous and beloved house once occupied by Richard and Karen Carpenter was headed for demolition.

The rumors began after an online ad for an estate sale at the residence appeared on the Internet last Saturday.

The Carpenter House, at 9828 Newville Ave., was the longtime home of the Carpenter family, and where Karen Carpenter collapsed Feb. 4, 1983. She was rushed to Downey Community Hospital where she died of cardiac arrest.

Rod Reynolds, a Carpenters fan who attended the sale, said he was told by the house’s current owner that the home next door (9821 Newville) was on track to be torn down, and the actual Carpenter House would soon follow.

City Hall records reveal an application to demolish the house at 9821 Newville, but none for 9828.

Records list Manuel Parra as the property owner of 9821 Newville. When contacted, language barriers made it difficult to ask him about the demolition.

Fans, meanwhile, descended on the house Saturday for the sale.

“A few of us Carpenters fans went to the sale and were horrified at the condition of the house and the grounds,â€￾ Reynolds said. “When Richard and Karen lived there, they had a magnificent Japanese garden in the backyard. This garden has crumbled into disrepair and most of the foliage is dead. The fountains and river-let are completely dried up.â€￾

Craigslist.org, a popular website featuring free classified advertisements, had a listing for an estate sale at the Carpenter House. Part of the ad reads: “Are you a Carpenter fan?? No, not the carpenter who built your house, The Carpenters (the band) as in Richard and Karen Carpenter. Have you ever dreamed of owning something that belonged to them? Well this is your chance!â€￾

The ad goes on to list the items for sale, including records, furniture, a pool table, and “Karen Carpenter’s original bed and mattress.â€￾

City officials, meanwhile, said the property owner is within their rights to remodel the house, as long as all code requirements are met. Unless a property is officially designated historic, which the Carpenter House isn’t, the property owner is free to demolish the home.

Coincidentally or not, fans this week started an online petition to induct The Carpenters into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. More information is available at www.gocarpenters.com.

Please write the council or email the Patriot. Let them know we don't want to loose another landmark.

Council
abayer@downeyca.org
dgafin@downeyca.org
kcartozi@downeyca.org
rtrejo@downeyca.org
mguerra@downeyca.org

City Clerk
kmidstok@downeyca.org

If you would like to write a letter to the local paper please email your letter to the Editor of the Downey Patriot
downeypatriot@yahoo.com
Member Downey Historical Society,
President - The Downey Conservancy
Aerospace Legacy Foundation Board Member
President - Downey Museum of Art

mod cats
Modern Socialite
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mod cats » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:39 pm

I'd love to see some pix of the Japanese garden in its heyday. And I wonder how the sale went?

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite
Location: Los Angeles/Highland Park CA (Native of Dallas, TX)

Carpenter House Demolition IMMINENT!

Postby Chrisgreen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:57 am

I received this email today:

Subject: SAVE A LANDMARK: "Goodbye To Love" maybe...Goodbye To Newville Avenue--never!!!!

Dear Carpenters Fan:

I am writing to you about the impending demolition of the famous Newville Avenue residence of the Carpenters, made famous on the cover of their multi-platinum 1973 LP "Now & Then" (see below). For those who don't know me, I was national promotion director at the Carpenters' label, A&M Records, from 1981 until 1990. I've met Karen Carpenter and I am still in contact with Richard Carpenter today.

Many people equate Downey with the Carpenters. Their music continues to sell hundreds of thousands of units each year, and come holiday time, is an annual radio staple. My brother, who works at NARAS (The Recording Academy) co-produced a Carpenters tribute album in 1994, and we were overwhelmed by the positive response. Today, "YouTube," the internet, your websites, and numerous TV retrospectives are introducing new generations to the music and the legacy of the Downey duo.

According to information sent to me by Downey City Councilmember Kirk Cartozian, an application for demolition has been received for the "addition" to the property at 9828 Newville Avenue. (The house consists of two connected structures--the "addition" and the main house.) According to a reliable source, another application will be filed to demolish the main house sometime after the addition is torn down.

Please help me get the word out.

I am considering the start up of a campaign to raise funds to buy the Carpenter house from the current owner and preserve it. Please let me know if you might be able to help or know of someone who would. In the meantime, please write to the Downey City Council (rtrejo@downeyca.org and Gcaton@downeyca.org) and the Downey Patriot newspaper (downeypatriot@yahoo.com) and urge them to support the preservation of the landmark Carpenter house. For complete Downey City Council addresses, go to http://www.downeyca.org/city_contact_email.php.

Thank you,

Jon

Jon Konjoyan
JK PROMOTION
818-980-9217
joykon@aol.com

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite

Carpenters

Postby Chrisgreen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:21 am

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

From the pics I remember it

Postby modfan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:16 am

retrocool
Modern Master

Cool Video

Postby retrocool » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:46 pm

PaulKaplan
Modern Master

Postby PaulKaplan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:22 pm

That's cool...Granted its not Graceland, but hopefully they can figure out a way to preserve this little piece of history....
The Paul Kaplan Group, Inc
Architectural Real Estate
1701 N Palm Canyon Dr. #5
Palm Springs, CA 92262
www.MidCenturyModernPS.com
760-459-1396
DRE 01325586

retrocool
Modern Master

Carpenters Newville property tour

Postby retrocool » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi everyone,

Here is another video of the Carpenters Home in Downey, CA. I am not sure of the year, but it has a lot of interior footage.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1 ... =yfp-t-501

Enjoy,

Retrocool

Chrisgreen
Modern Socialite

Carpenters House

Postby Chrisgreen » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:54 pm

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:36 pm

Thanks for all the info and the updates about the house. It's really something. That YouTube video is great. Love the front doors and the Japanese garden. I look forward to more updates.... sincerely hope it can be saved.

luther
Modern Master

Postby luther » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:56 pm

An update:

Owners of The Carpenters' former home aren't feeling on top of the world about the legions of fans who keep stopping by to pay tribute.

The five-bedroom tract house, where siblings Karen and Richard Carpenter lived and penned some of their greatest hits, was featured on the cover of their 1973 hit album "Now & Then." It was also where an anorexic Karen Carpenter collapsed in 1983 before dying.

Owners Manuel and Blanca Melendez Parra have apparently grown weary of the parade of fans paying homage.

The couple have submitted plans to officials in Downey, a city about 15 miles south of downtown Los Angeles, to raze the 39-year-old main house, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday. The Parras have already torn down an adjoining house and have begun construction on a larger home.

The proposal to level the rest of the residence has angered fans.

"This house is our version of Graceland," said Carpenters aficionado Jon Konjoyan. "When they photographed the 'Now & Then' cover here in 1973, the house was instantly immortalized."

The 57-year-old musician and promoter is heading a campaign to save the original home from the wrecker's ball. Some fans have proposed that Downey officials declare the house a historic landmark.

The entire Carpenter family lived in the main house. The adjoining section was used as an office, rehearsal studio and recreation room.

The Carpenters' parents lived in the residence until Harold Carpenter's death in 1988 and Agnes Carpenter's in 1996. Richard Carpenter sold the house a year later.

After the Parras bought the house, Jessica Parra, said that at first her parents invited fans into the home and gave away items left by Richard Carpenter.

"In the beginning, we let everybody in. But honestly, it became horrible, not only for us but for the neighborhood," Parra said. "People peek in windows and take pictures. They leave flowers on the front porch."

Downey officials said that they received plans for a new residence, but that no demolition permit has been issued.

Konjoyan is holding out hope. He wants the home to be bought and rehabilitated. If that is not possible, he wants the structure to be moved.

"They were such a huge American act in the '70s," Konjoyan said of the duo. "So many people loved them."

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:02 pm

googieagog
Modern Master

Postby googieagog » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:06 am

This project could prove quite a challenge. Although there are plenty of contractors that do asbestos removal, I'm not aware of any that do saccharine abatement ...

As for Downey's top musical family, that would be the Alvin brothers. The Blasters were (and sometimes are) the second greatest rockabilly band ever -- surpassed only by Gene Vincent and his original Blue Caps.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:27 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:21 am

DOWNEY PATRIOT

Konjoyan preserves Carpenters’ legacy
by Christian Brown, Staff Writer

Dec 25, 2009

...The campaign sought to have the house purchased or declared a landmark to save it from demolition, however, the Parras continued with their plans and half of the house, which occupied two lots, was tore down.

The main portion of the home, where Karen Carpenter died in 1983, is still intact...

http://www.thedowneypatriot.com/pages/f ... Carpenters’+legacy%20&id=5288824&instance=Features_main

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”