Nabisco Plant in Buena Park Demolished

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

Carlos Araujo
Modern Socialite

Nabisco Plant in Buena Park Demolished

Postby Carlos Araujo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:55 pm

This is my first discussion thread starter, unfortunately it's not a happy one. On some recent car trips on the I-5 to my new abode I noticed something missing. It's the Nabisco plant in Buena Park. The style was reminiscent of the Fagus factory by Gropius and the Bauhaus. This is an article in the OC Register about its demise. A warning on the video below, violence to buildings protrayed is not fictional and the audio commentary will make you want to hurl.
"Todos vuelven a la tierra en que nacieron" Ruben Blades

So_Cal_Native_in_Texas
Modern Master

Postby So_Cal_Native_in_Texas » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:23 am

Oh man!

Every time I turn around, another landmark is being destroyed.

In the future, Orange County will be completely flattened and rebuilt every five years. Why bother building anything that lasts anymore? It'll be torn down once some nitwit bean counter decides it's out of date.
|

modfan
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Yup

Postby modfan » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:07 am

Wonder if there was any cry from the modern preservationists in Buena Park /Orange County. It was vacant for several years after Nabisco moved out, the Nabisco logo came down and when I saw the unkempt condition of the landscaping, I know it was probably destined to be no more. It was a landmark to let you know driving to SD on the 5 that you entered Orange County when you got to that point on the freeway.

spinsLPs
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby spinsLPs » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:15 am

At least the first Nabisco plant in So. Cal. was re-purposed into lofts.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:00 am

I don't know that there is an organized modern preservation advocacy group in Buena Park or anywhere in Orange County for that matter. Ad Hoc groups spring up for individual projects and the Anaheim Library, for example, commissioned a great googie photo collection before all the motels near Disneyland came down. The Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee was aware of this but our turf ends at the county line. It was a great building and I'd love to know more about it, though.

http://modcom.org/

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:25 pm

Oh my gosh! I had a dear friend who worked at that plant many many years ago...I used to give her rides to work all the time!

I'll bet I wouldn't even recognize Orange County anymore. Even the awesome building I used to work in at Heritage Bank on Euclid is gone...
"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”