Thesis Question: Preservation & Modern Architecture Indi

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
upsidedown2
Modern Groupie
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thesis Question: Preservation & Modern Architecture Indi

Postby upsidedown2 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:01 am

I am a historic preservation student currently working on my graduate thesis. As part of my thesis, I am intending to conduct a statewide survey of midcentury (1945-1979) architecture in the state of Indiana (the state I currently live in). Unfortunately, I am not familiar with many of Indiana's smaller cities or even some of the larger ones. I have done some literature research, as well as contacted some local preservationists in various areas, but am still lacking in what I've received. So, instead of wandering aimlessly around the state, I was wondering if anyone has any buildings (residential, commercial, industrial, public, etc.) designed during this period that might be "good" examples of architecture from this period? Any style or type of building is open as long as it was built during this period. I am familiar with things in Columbus, obviously, but anything else is fair game. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:37 pm

Wow, that's a really tall order. I grew up in several places in Indiana and other than Columbus, I'm not aware of any cities, large or small, that are known for their Modern architecture, although some cities in the northern part of the state that are close to Chicago and along the lake have some memorable examples. I lived for awhile in Terre Haute, which had some nice Lustrons, though at least one has been covered with siding.

Terre Haute (Vigo County) and neighboring Clay County had historical surveys completed, with the more recent one in Clay. It would be exhaustive going through each county's historical survey (which I believe is a federally funded effort with money coming through the state) but would get your list started. State historic preservation officials should be able to tell you which counties have been surveyed.

I am assuming that you are starting from scratch with this. Any luck with the Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana?

SDR
Lotta Living FANatic

Postby SDR » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:24 pm

"I laugh in the face of danger! Then I hide until it goes away." Bender

mod cats
Modern Socialite

Postby mod cats » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:43 pm

This is just a taste, but check out this new book, "At Home in the Heartland: Midwestern Domestic Architecture" by Robert Winter and Alexander Vertikoff. Chapter 6, on Modernism, mentions some notable (and more well-known) structures in Indiana, including the houses built in 1934 for the Century-of-Progress Exposition and Samara in West Lafayette (designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, who designed several houses in Indiana).

The Indianapolis Star ran a lengthy article on Samara on July 1, which I mentioned in another thread... the paper's Web site, www.indystar.com, has a slideshow and commentary by the owner.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”