Gus's Bar-B-Q in South Pasadena

ARCHITECTURE AND PRESERVATION NEWS for the Los Angeles Conservancy Modern Committee (ModCom) and other Mid Century Modern, Googie, International, Art Deco, 20th Century design

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, Josh Geidel, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Gus's Bar-B-Q in South Pasadena

Postby nichols » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:00 pm

This just in: The classic South Pas eatery GUS'S BAR-B-Q has been sold. I understand the new owners are from the TOP'S DRIVE-IN restaurant in East Pasadena. The old owners were in the Star News recently with a quote about how old they are and that nobody in the family would take it over. The place opened in 1946 (or is it 1929 - see site) and was demolished in 1990. Much was salvaged and it was rebuilt on the same site in 1994. Go and enjoy it now. This is one of the best signs in the region. running chickens and pigs maintained to the highest standards.

http://www.gussbbq.com
Last edited by nichols on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:01 pm

I just passed that place on Saturday wondering why I had never been.
Now I had better hurry - or will the same business continue?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:04 am

Gus's Reopens!

LA TIMES

By Jessica Gelt, Times Staff Writer
April 17, 2008
LASTING 60 years is no small feat for a restaurant, especially in and around Los Angeles, where the fever of unchecked reinvention burns white-hot. That's why when brothers Chris and John Bicos bought Gus's Barbecue -- a casual dining institution in South Pasadena -- they were careful to tip their hats to its rich history.

"Gus's has been around since 1946 and the people of Pasadena have an emotional connection to it," Chris said last week at the restaurant's first "friends and family" dinner. "It's important to us to cherish the history and move it forward."...

http://www.latimes.com/theguide/cl-gd-r ... 3474.story

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:13 am

How nice that the article mentioned the Museum of Neon Art and their support of the sign. I'm so happy the new owners listened and kept it as it's a crazy-wonderful piece of neon.

I'll definitely stop in and try the new menu.

Return to “Mid Century Modern Preservation Discussion”