La Villa Basque Restaurant and Coffee Shop, City of Vernon

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lynxwiler
Modern Guru
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

La Villa Basque Restaurant and Coffee Shop, City of Vernon

Postby Lynxwiler » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:46 am

Here's a surprise. While driving 'round Huntington Park and the City of Vernon I was pleased to discover the many incredible industrial buildings to the south of downtown Los Angeles, but what shocked me more was the discovery of La Villa Basque. No, I haven't tried the food as their hours are lunchtime, M-F, but I guarantee I'll be back to try it out and get inside the place.

Look at these photos! It's pristine and one of the best kept-time warps I've ever encountered. The place is spotless and the paint is fresh. I do sincerely hope it's not just a movie-set-in-waiting and that they actually do operate on weekdays. I'm going to go back and give them some of my money. I want to know the story of La Villa Basque.

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:51 am

Dustyman73
Modern Master

Postby Dustyman73 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:13 pm

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:58 am

Vernon business owners eat at La Villa Basque, owned by Mayor Leonis C. Malburg, who has been on the Council since the Eisenhower administration. The restaurant is next to the Leonis Malburg Building on Leonis Boulevard a few blocks from Malburg Way. Mr. Malburg, the grandson of John B. Leonis, Vernon’s founding father, warmly greets lunch patrons at La Villa Basque, which has had the same décor and some of the same employees since it opened in 1960....

http://www.laobserved.com/biz/2006/08/t ... stique.php

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:53 pm

You've gotta go!
La Villa Basque, 2801 Leonis Blvd, City of Vernon, CA 90058

CharmCircle
Modern Groupie

Time Machine

Postby CharmCircle » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:26 pm

The photos of La Villa Basque are a real draw! My husband and I are definitely planning to make a trip. Have you eaten here? How is the food?

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Well... I ordered cheap food off of the coffee shop menu and it was ok. The fries, well... Next time I go, I'll try something off of the restaurant menu and see how the kitchen prepares their classier dishes.

But, regardless of the fries, you've got to go and just see the place for yourself. It's a bit of heaven hiding way out in Vernon.

EDIT: The food's improved. No, the fries don't stink anymore and their meals are damn good. No, it's not a culinary masterpiece, but if the food was keeping you away, forget about it and just go to La Villa Basque.
Last edited by Lynxwiler on Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Update:

The restaurant is changing its hours and you still have to go and check it out for yourself. The new manager is add=ding a breakfast menu and opening the restaurant's doors at 7am. Plus there's a happy hour keeping the kitchen open through 7pm.

Really, you've got to go and see this place for yourself. It's become a pilgrimage for me and I'm there every couple weeks. Love La Villa Basque.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:37 pm

I'm hearing those rumors I don't like to hear. Can somebody please head down and chat up the waitresses... make sure everything's OK? please? Maybe Lynx..... Lynx, you there?

Lynxwiler
Modern Guru

Postby Lynxwiler » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:58 pm

Return to “Roadside Rambling”