Restored Thunderbird Inn in Savannah!

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dustyman73
Modern Master
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Restored Thunderbird Inn in Savannah!

Postby Dustyman73 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:04 am

Check out the link to this newly restored Thunderbird Inn in beautiful Savannah! It's great to see a restoration like this and an appreciation for this era! Are we finally starting to turn a corner for the better as far as mid century appreciation is concerned?

I sure hope this place gets lot's of business, as their hard work and appreciation for the American roadside should be rewarded! I know where I am going to stay when I visit Savannah!!

http://www.thethunderbirdinn.com/

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:37 pm

cool - thanks for posting this - i wish we had something like this in vegas.

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:38 pm

in Savannah!?
way to go.
nice to see it catching on. Austin, Tx has been at it for a while.
i see it happening everywhere. the properties are offered very cheap.
(unless the land it sits on is valuable).
we always seek them out when we road trip.
i should give Miami credit also. they seem to be hanging on to a few.
though i've been fooled by a few. the mom and pop motels are fun. and clean.
but we did sleep on the floor once. eeeww. floor was cleaner than the bed.
the furniture was great and worth it for the photos i took.
a friend of a friend bought a motel in the catskills as a summer get-a-way.
keep the no-vacancy sign lit. tricked out the rooms with their collection.(cheaper than storage?) and have a funny place for friends and family to gather... expanded the owners
quarters by grabbing a couple rooms. even put in those tiny all-in-one stainless kitchen units in a couple rooms
for privacy and morning coffee, etc. (i think they have a little extra cash)
haven't seen it but it must be kinda great if they turned down our vintage airstream to go back to their
friends 'motel'.

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:58 pm

Yeah, Fremont Street would be perfect with all the old motels and great signs!

Kimba
Modern Master

Postby Kimba » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 pm

"This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything. All that I could want, and nothing that I need."

Return to “Roadside Rambling”