Pensacola FL - Anything else interesting?

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MD²
Special Secret Modern Agent

Pensacola FL - Anything else interesting?

Postby MD² » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:09 pm

Going there over the weekend.
Anything architecturally interesting to see there other than the "beached" futuro and the "Dome of a Home" curiosity?
No Dinosaur Adventure Land for me... sorry!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby rockland » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:19 am

i know it well.
moved my in-laws away after Katrina.
and i lived in new orleans for years. i think futuro is still there.
i almost bought one 5 yrs ago. (a crazy passion of mine after i watched one go
to a dump. i cried. all i needed was a helicopter !)
i think a trip to the area is a 'have fun' and make it personal. and share what
you find. it would be painful for me...

ch

Postby ch » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:18 am

John Lautner and Bruce Goff each designed a home out on the panhandle though I have never been able to track down their exact location. I've long wondered if either has survived human and/or natural "alteration".

Anyone know?

MD²

Postby MD² » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:47 pm

Thanks!

For the Goff project, a little internet search returned the following info:

Mr. and Mrs. James D. Wilson House (1950-1951 or 1953)
Star Route 99, Bay Road
Pensacola (Bay), Florida
Structural Engineer (also credited as associate architect): J. Palmer Boggs

Strange address, I found a "Bay Blvd" next to Scenic HWY 90 & a "Star Lake Dr"...

I've just received information to the fact that the Bruce Goff designed house had burned down.
It was apparently situated on Perdido Bay (where a CR-99 route exists).

There's also a Twitchell & Rudolph house (Rubin residence) from 1951-53.
Someone gave me information that it was still standing, but I unfortunately do not have an address for it
:(

Rubin residence

MD²

Postby MD² » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:11 pm

I keep "talking" to myself here, but anyhow... I finally found , but only after I had left the place. :(

But! I also saw a couple of pretty cool contemporary pieces: and also (website instructions: wait... ENTER->SELECT PROJECTS->Residential->Transparent House II ...& there are two sets of thumbnails).

I also stopped in nearby Seaside, where The Truman Show was shot, and where , & a few "things".

:cheers:

ch

Postby ch » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:12 am

Thanks for the information on the long, lost Lautner. I first found a citation to it in a German guide to Lautner's work. I don't think it's mentioned in any of the other books. Did you get to see the house while you were down there?

Return to “Roadside Rambling”