Howard Johnson's

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Howard Johnson's

Postby babyblue65bird » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:10 pm

I think my love for Mid Century Modern comes from the annual summer road trips my family would take in the 70s, going from southern Florida to visit family in Nebraska and Tennesee (with many many stops along the way). We would often stay in orange-roofed A frame Howard Johnson's motels. Coming from my stucco and concrete block shoebox of a house, they seemed like the epitome of sophistication to me. I would bug my dad to request a top floor room, which had soaring dark wood beams with what I now recognize to be Owens Corning rigid fiberglass insulation as a ceiling material between the beams. And next to the bed was a brushed stainless steel wall switch plate, with rocker switches that could control all the lights in the room - and turn the TV on and off! One of those switches was labeled "SWAG" which would turn on the colorful lucite lamp over the little table.

I haven't been in one of those in probably 20 years; I imagine that there aren't many left in original condition.
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby roadsidepictures » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Here are a few postcards from my collection that you might enjoy...

Albany, Georgia

Lumberton, North Carolina

Louisville, Kentucky

Ice Cream Display Advertisement Card, 1960's

Return to “Roadside Rambling”