Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Virginia... what to do?

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Virginia... what to do?

Postby nichols » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:29 pm

I'm taking a trip to this area soon. I've never been. Outside of all the wonderful museums in DC and Dulles and my expedition in search of the Hefty Hideaway... what else should I see?

jakabedy
Modern Master

Postby jakabedy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:14 am

There is a FLW Usonian house in Alexandria.

http://www.popeleighey1940.org/
1920s Bungalow Gal turned MCM Maven

My Blog: http://magiccitymodern.blogspot.com/

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Spike
Modern Socialite

Postby Spike » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Baltimore has one remaining great drive-in movie theater: the Bengies. Biggest screen in the USA, or so they claim. Closed in the winter, but you might want to check their web site, see if they have reopened for the season when you're there...

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:12 pm

Nichols:

If you feel like something other than MCM (heresy!), Georgetown and Old Town Alexandria are colonial era neighborhoods with lots of pubs and restaurants. In Baltimore, Fells Point and Hampden are the fun areas.

As for MCM, if going to Dulles (worth seeing), head over to some of the Charles Goodman areas in Virginia- Hollin Hills and Holmes Run Acres. You could combine Hollin Hills with time in Old Town Alexandria as they are minutes apart (I assume you will have wheels). The Maryland Burbs also have Goodman designed areas.

In DC, the MLK Library was done by Mies. The National Geographic building was done by Edward Durrel Stone. Ben's Chili Bowl on U Street is a legendary hot dog place from 1958 (Bill Cosby loves it).

Feel free to send me a PM.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:06 pm

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:30 pm

I was in DC years ago so my memories are hazy.

See the Vietnam Veterens Memorial:

And go to the National Building Museum:

And I highly reccomend driving around and visiting the nearby Civil War battlefields.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer
www.glassandsteel.com

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:50 pm

I grew up near DC. This is one of my fondest memories...

Alexander Calder, Untitled, 1976, aluminum and steel, National Gallery of Art

Calder took a similar approach when the National Gallery of Art asked him in 1971 to create a work of art for the atrium of the new East Building, which became one of his last commissions. He consulted closely with architect I. M. Pei to be sure that the mobile would work well with the design of the building.

At one point, it became clear that steel, Calder’s traditional material, would be too heavy for this work. Calder’s interests in space, engineering, and technology came full circle when honeycombed aluminum, an extremely light yet durable material originally developed for aeronautics, was proposed in its place. The new material also improved the mobile’s ability to respond to air currents. Unfortunately, Calder was not able to witness the success of this alternative material. He died about a year before the full-scale work was installed in 1977.

Spike
Modern Socialite

Postby Spike » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Chris, you've stirred my hometown civic pride. Here are some Baltimore highlights that come to mind.

Offbeat museums: The Great Blacks in Wax Museum (African-American Madame Tussaud's), National Visionary Arts Museum (modern museum of "outsider" artists), Museum of Industry (now home to the late, lamented Light Bulb Museum), National Museum of Dentistry (they have Geo. Washington's false teeth). Traditional museums: Baltimore Museum of Art (good Matisse collection), Walters Art Gallery (partly housed in a former mansion).

Architecture: All of Mt. Vernon Square is worth seeing, but the interior of the Peabody Library is absolutely not to be missed. The recently renovated Baltimore Basilica was the first cathedral in America. Pennsylvania (train) Station is a Beaux Arts gem. The Baltimore Conservatory has a remarkable indoor botanical garden, 90 feet high, all glass, built in the 1880s. The neighborhood of Roland Park was laid out by the Olmstead firm in the 1890s, and is one of the first planned suburbs in the U.S. The Brown Center, part of the Maryland Institute College of Art, is a notable new building. The Senator Theater is Baltimore's single-screen Deco movie palace, miraculously still intact. John Waters premieres his films there.

Food: Gunning's for steamed crabs -- be prepared to wait. The Bel-Loc diner is a classic. The diner used in "Diner" is now located downtown and is operated by students on weekends. Martick's is a tiny French restaurant run by eccentric elderly chef. The Brass Elephant is in what was once a grand private residence -- enjoy a drink in the Tusk Bar. Lexington Market is a chaotic, teeming place where you can get anything. Edgar Allan Poe is buried nearby. The neighborhood of Fell's Point has Bertha's (home of the "Eat Bertha's Mussels" bumper stickers popular up and down the East Coast), Captain James Landing (in a former cargo ship) and the Sip 'n' Bite. They shot much of the show "Homicide" in that area.

That's all I can think of, for now. As they say in Baltimore, "Enjoy, hon."

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:46 am

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 pm

i am really enjoying this thread...
back in 2006 ( i can't BELIEVE it's been that long now... ) we fell in love with d.c. and it was one of the places we said we wanted to go back and spend lots more time in.

chris - i do remember really enjoying driving by all the embassies and consulates on the northeast side of town. some really nice varied and often 'ethnic' oriented architecture

on your way to georgetown - there is a ticket trap where they wait for tourists to turn on the red. maybe capitol mod can fill you in on the intersection? here's the link with a picture where we got our ticket - we went back afterwards and took this shot as we watched the cop standing on the street wave over one car after another...
http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/main ... emId=15285

the rest of our d.c. pics are on this page:
http://www.lottaliving.com/gallery/main ... &g2_page=3

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:36 pm

On the less touristy side of Baltimore's Inner Harbor is one of America's fairly unique art museums -- the American Visionary Art Museum, with a great collection of "art produced by self-taught individuals, usually without formal training, whose works arise from an innate personal vision that revels foremost in the creative act itself."

scowsa

Tony
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby Tony » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:55 pm

scowsa,

Oh, I forgot about that museum - it's great! Haven't been there in years. I really liked the work of Doc Atomic they had there. Although I'm not sure he still can be catagorized as an Outsider Artist anymore.

Tony
Tony Merchell

Architectural Photographer

www.glassandsteel.com

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:49 am

I lived and worked in DC during the mid 80- early 90's, then Baltimore until early 90's, you guys covered the turf very well. So many of the old dept. stores are long shuttered or demolished in downtown DC. There was an old bar in the movie Brodcast News that may not have survived, had a vitrolite facade, in shades of green. I worked in the Geographic Bldg, worth a visit, giant spinning globe in the lobby still there? Plus the Kennedy Center, ( . Welton Becket? or Edward Durrell Stone) miles of blood red pile carpet against white marble walls and massive crystal chandeliers, very money. The old Greyhound bus terminals in both cities worth seeing, JFK's tomb, exceptionally modern good taste. Eastern Market had a great family run breakfast counter inside, was it Cheryl's? Staff had major attitude, but boy were the flap jacks the best with piles of butter and syrup, and the biscuits, mmmm. Oh and don't forget the Metro finished in time for the Bicentenial, acres of Quary tile floors and Louis Kahn style brutalist caverns, clean, efficient, just great.

CapitalMod
Modern Master

Postby CapitalMod » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:04 am

Pal George
Modern Socialite

Postby Pal George » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:51 pm

Ah Whitlow's of course, I imbibed several times over the years, Holly Hunter has as meltdown outside of it in the film, oh and the 9:30 club brings back many good memories that and DC Space, near the Portrait Gallery, probably all been torn down.

Spike
Modern Socialite

Postby Spike » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:37 am

Chris, did you make your mid-Atlantic trip?

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:10 pm

We went in 2008 and going again now. I'm leaving in an hour! Thanks, everyone.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”