Burbank, CA: Frank's Coffe Shop sold

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Burbank, CA: Frank's Coffe Shop sold

Postby babyblue65bird » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:47 pm

Run since 1957 by the same owners, the googie Frank's Coffee Shop on Olive in Burbank has been sold to new owners. I hope they don't change it much - a ham steak and eggs with sourdough toast has revived me on a great many Sunday mornings.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/franks-coffee-s ... nt-burbank
Where are we going & what are we doing in this handbasket?

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:29 pm

I'm really sad to hear this, the owners of Frank's are so nice, always friendly to us and the studio employees from Nickelodeon who stop by for lunch. We'll need to keep an eye on Frank's and be sure to patronize it -- there are so few authentic 50s Googie coffee shops left now, especially around the San Fernando Valley! Glad to see so many positive reviews!

Adriene
Modern Master

Postby Adriene » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:55 am

I visited Frank's yesterday and met the new owner. I happened to have my Johnie's Broiler file with me, so I was showing him pix and explaining that Bob's Big Boy is rebuilding this amazing 1958 Googie drive-in restaurant in Downey and how fortunate he is to have purchased a completely intact 1957 Googie restaurant like Frank's. He expressed an appreciation for its authenticity and didn't signal any major changes to come.

I recall seeing him years ago at the other Frank's that was on Vineland in North Hollywood (bulldozed..) down the street from Leon's Steak House (bulldozed for a CVS pharmacy). He told us he was formerly the chef at Genio's Italian restaurant (bulldozed for a Social Security office?) and is adding Italian specialties to the old menu (yay!!). Since he's also a pastry chef, he served us a delicious chocolate mousse!

So things are looking up! Let's help the new owner keep it going strong!

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Mon May 05, 2008 8:46 pm

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:39 am

I gave it a couple of months -

My mom always said if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

But did they have to put in Tuscan Depot light fixtures in place of the green crackle glass ones? And what's with the miniscule menu? And what happened to the food? Sorry mom, couldn't help myself.

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Tue May 01, 2012 6:29 pm

Frank's is sadly no more. Even though it wasn't as splendid as it was a few years back when Frank was still running it, it was still a solid breakfast and sandwich place. I was optimistic when it was featured in the movie Larry Crowne, with Tom Hanks, but even that couldn't keep the doors open.

RIP Franks, 1958-2012

Phillip
Modern Fan

Postby Phillip » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:54 pm

It has re-opened! I read it in yelp. This restaurant is frequently shown in CSI.

babyblue65bird
Modern Master

Postby babyblue65bird » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:21 pm

It's TRUE! Frank's is back and the food is just as good as ever - PLUS the Home Depot Tuscan light fixtures and neon beer signs have been removed. Try the roast turkey on grilled sourdough. It's real turkey - not processed prepackaged junk.

I LOVE FRANK'S!

Return to “Roadside Rambling”