living it up in the conch republic

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

living it up in the conch republic

Postby sky » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:44 pm

The Conch Republic is another name for Key West, Flori-duh. There's a very interesting history to that which you can read about here:
http://www.conchrepublic.com/history.htm

I was there for a bit last week so I thought I'd share a few photos ...

These first two were from a museum there that had an exhibit called "ICONS." The artist's name is J. Seward Johnson.

This is nice roadside attraction, but I'm not so sure what's so significant about being the southernmost point in the continental United States - and what makes it part of the continent if it's an island?

A hotel sign in Key West:

I think this resort was on Islamorada. There were tons of Tiki hotels and restaurants along the way, but I only took a few photos.

My favorite thing on the road, though, were the manatee mailboxes. These were at a store, though:

(Photos repaired 09/30/09. -sky)
Last edited by sky on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:29 am

Thanks for the pics. I lived down there for a little over a year in the late 70s, and was recently getting nostalgic over at Cinema Treasures.

Didn't that museum used to be the courthouse?

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:09 am

I saved the pamphlet from the exhibit, which if you can read in the top left refers to the US Customs house:

If you need a bigger nostalgia fix, Gnomus, PM me and I'll send you the link and password to that album.

(Image repaired 09/30/09. -sky)
Last edited by sky on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classicsat
Modern Socialite

Postby classicsat » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:35 pm

To be semi correct, Key West is politically part of FL, which largely resides in "continental USA".

Non "CONUS" (as those in the satellite TV trade and hobby call it), is just Alaska (which technically is part of the continent), and Hawaii
New York - Leeds- Los Angeles - San Francisco - Toronto
Wherever Google Earth takes me.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”