In Praise of Googie Car Washes

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:36 pm

Beach-Lin - 126 S Beach Blvd, Anaheim

Euclid - 1135 N Euclid St, Anaheim -- I have a number of these lantern topped washes on my "to shoot" list, but I'm wondering if I should drop them. They're from the period, but they're just not Googie.

Pacific - 12050 Beach Blvd, Stanton -- Inside are perforated beams; looks like they chopped off the tops...

La Habra - 1801 W Whittier Blvd, La Habra -- the retaining wall is painted with a variety of figures in cars, some futuristic.

Azusa - 859 S Azusa Rd, Azusa

West Coast - 2740 E Olympic Blvd, LA -- This has been heavily modified, but it's probably the closest thing in existence to the "Car Wash" movie car wash that once stood at 6th and Rampart. Look at Chris's sketch -- imagine that structure enclosed, and you've got this place.

Pico - 3131 W Pico Blvd, LA

Joe's - 400 E 7th Street, LA -- This is a few blocks east of downtown. It's unusual in that the trees are actually growing through the structure, and most chevron topped beam washes have two rows of beams -- this only shows one. It's also been closed a while; the equipment is still in there, but someone is using the space for storage.

Nu Way - 123 W Duarte Rd, Monrovia -- This is the treat this time around. Big, colorful, spires in front and back; it's in very good condition.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Nathan, thanks for the listing. Do you know if it covers the entire county? I was in the library looking at the microfiche LA classifieds for 1970, and the people working there weren't sure how much it covered.

Also, I found that I had washes that didn't appear in the listings. For example, Burbank: they listed the Lakeside, but not the Magnolia. Sometimes the names change, so I matched on address. Still, lots of things didn't show up.

Nathan
Special Secret Modern Agent

Postby Nathan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:50 pm

The attached are from the same phone book, and delineates the area covered...good part of the county but by no means everything.

Have you peeked your nose in the city directories online at the LAPL?

http://rescarta.lapl.org:8080/ResCarta- ... Browse.jsp

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:09 pm

"Have you peeked your nose in the city directories online at the LAPL?"

Yes, those have come in handy.

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Ah, excellent, well, I kinda figured you had. They are such a fine reference, I tend to post them any time I can.

sumu
Modern Master

Postby sumu » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:59 am

There's a nice boomerang/googie carwash, in lovely shape, in Carson, CA on Carson St. - it's somewhere between Normandie ave and Avalon.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:03 am

"There's a nice boomerang/googie carwash, in lovely shape, in Carson, CA on Carson St. - it's somewhere between Normandie ave and Avalon."

Sumu, I visited it yesterday. Yes, it's in "lovely shape" in terms of being intact, but it sure could use some fresh paint, etc. See the second photo.

Carson Car Wash - 225 E Carson St, Carson

Also from yesterday, Montebello:
This looks like another wash that has had its beams lopped off at the roofline. They're still visible inside.
Montebello Car Wash - 2300 W Whittier Blvd, Montebello

And from a few days ago:
Los Feliz Car Wash - 3013 Los Feliz Blvd, LA
They chopped off four spires so they wouldn't block the billboard.

Nathan

Postby Nathan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:34 am

Here's something I found in my collection, Crown Car Wash on Pico as pictured near the start of this thread, and it's spot-on what you say about design trends; Imperial in Inglewood and Crown are practically twins (as seen in Roadside's postcard of course, in our world, they've lopped off poor Imperial's fins).

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:19 pm

You put those two postcards side by side and it really stands out. They were built with an identical color scheme, as well as being twins in structure and signage.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Southgate Car Wash
3900 Firestone Blvd.
Southgate, CA

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:37 pm

Back in '06, Bill Griffith did this Zippy comic strip based on my photos of the Lennox car wash. His November 23 and 24 strips of this year will feature the Encino Premiere Car Wash and the Magic Minute Car Wash. I'll post those as soon as they hit the streets.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:47 am

Here are the two Zippy strips, hot off the presses:

Encino -- Premiere Car Wash, 17432 Ventura Blvd

Los Angeles - Magic Minute, 1923 W Manchester Ave

And two more car washes:

Pomona - Minitman Car Wash, 1200 E Holt Ave

San Bernardino - Sparkle Car Wash, 272 E Highland Ave

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:23 am

I just watched the trailer for The Green Hornet which is supposed to come out next January. Toward the end, there's a scene with the Green Hornet and Kato in the car on the street in front of -- Lennox Car Wash. It even looks like they might have patched up the paint job for this movie, the C-A-R W-A-S-H letters are yellow instead of red.

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2010/ ... mmel-live/

EDIT: I was just looking at my photos from 2009, and the place had the new color scheme back then...
Last edited by Gnomus on Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

wideimaging
Modern Fan

Postby wideimaging » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:56 pm

I see you already have the La Cienega car wash; I took this shot in October 2007 because it reminded me of the needle beams Lev Zetlin used for the New York State pavilion in the 1964 World's Fair (still there and still the World's largest prestressed cable roof - AKA 'The Tent of Tomorrow')
ImageImage

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:16 am

WHITTIER DAILY NEWS

Awash in history

Operators seek to have Five Points Car Wash declared historic landmark
By Mike Sprague Staff Writer

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=16784

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:36 pm

Windy's started life as Jomar Car Wash, 939 W Florence Ave, LA, one of the only car washes I've seen that has been adaptively reused. The end of the wash bay looked like they were either using it for maintenance or storage.

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:02 am

This is the last Googie car wash in LA county (that I know of) that I hadn't photographed. Managed to get out to Hacienda Heights yesterday. Not a great day, but here it is: the Hacienda Car Wash, 15734 Gale Avenue, Hacienda Heights...

The Googie car wash sign is kind of odd. It's aimed to the side of the property, not the front. The gas station (which has its own car wash, go figure) and its trees block the sign pretty much.

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Some great vintage photos here. Too bad most on the photos on this thread are long gone, it was great for reference.

KPCC - LA's Timeless Carwash Culture
http://audiovision.scpr.org/216/las-mid ... es?slide=1

Return to “Roadside Rambling”