Encounters - LAX Theme Building

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
marcjoseph
Modern Fan

Encounters - LAX Theme Building

Postby marcjoseph » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:45 pm

For the very first time, I went to Encounters at LAX last Saturday night. What a disappointment! First of all, I must say the building is spectacular, one of the most wonderful space-age structures in the country. And, the ceiling treatment inside is just amazing, with swooping amoeba insets highlighted with purple and blue light. There was wonderful, kooky space-age music in the elevator.
Then, I walked inside at about 8:30 pm on Saturday night. There were about three tables of people, none of them with the degree of style I anticipated. The maitre'd was nowhere to be seen, and we sat at the bar. There was no music, just a minor buzz of conversation from the handful of patrons. The martinis were among the worst I have ever had, and the menu was totally uninspired. I ordered a salad, because it was the only thing that sounded all right. It was not good. Then, the bartender announced to us that the place would be closing at 9 pm - can you believe it? 9 pm on a Saturday night.
The inside of the building has incredible possibilities, and in the hands of a skilled designer, could be amazing. The tables and chairs were all wrong, the bar surface looked like bad carpeting from a Sheraton Hotel conference room. And, there was no music. What a disappointment!
Am I correct in my view, or am I totally off the mark, and is this considered to be a sensitive restoration of an iconic building?
swanky vintage designer clothing for men and women, Secret Back Room, 4109 East Palm Canyon, Palm Springs, CA

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby nichols » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:51 am

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:53 am

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:08 pm

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Re: Encounters - LAX Theme Building

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:32 am

freddiefreelance
Modern Master

Postby freddiefreelance » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:04 am

Plesset, yes there're ! They're very cool with sort-of a Saturn/UFO top.
Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S.

darling
Modern Groupie

Postby darling » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:06 pm

The steak is pretty good.... as well as the portabello sandwich.....but I agree, the menu is small, not much to choose from.

Satan's Sin
Modern Socialite

Theme Building Blues

Postby Satan's Sin » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:46 am

I agree entirely -- a Jet Age masterpiece, wonderfully updated ... and then it completely fumbles the ball just before the end zone. Yucky, expensive food. Yucky, expensive cocktails. Indifferent service. People working there could just as easily be zoning out at the Marriot.

But oh, to sit in that marvelous restaurant and watch the planes coming in! It really makes up for it!

T.O. MidMod
Modern Socialite

Postby T.O. MidMod » Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:07 pm

It was the first stop on my wife and I's honeymoon this past October: got off the plane from Toronto, got our rental car, ate at Encounters then hit the road for Palm Springs. One of the best Jetson-age buildings ANYWHERE. A true American masterpiece. I was in awe...

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:06 pm

This is kind of old but still very interesting.. An interview with designer Eddie Soto and Disney's involvement with Encounter

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID503190.asp

googiejackalope
Modern Groupie

Postby googiejackalope » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:29 pm

I blogged my 15-minute visit in August 2005 visit with lots of night pictures here: http://thelope.blogspot.com/2006/04/fut ... -1961.html

My thanks to Freddiefreelance for posting the lava lamp site and Nichols for posting about the Sotto interview.

Wish we could have eaten there.

ChrisLAXEncounter
Modern Master

Postby ChrisLAXEncounter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:28 pm

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:14 pm

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:04 am

bananabobs
Modern Master

Postby bananabobs » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:29 pm

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:49 pm

Well, I'm glad your well and back, bb.

I took some photos of Encounters in December, but they are nowhere as good as those in the blog above. The building was engulfed by scaffolding back then, and Encounters was decked out for Christmas.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”