where in the world is sky not in san diego?

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

where in the world is sky not in san diego?

Postby sky » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:32 am

I usually post MCMish photos from vacations here. This time, I'm just going to post the photos without explanation, and you can guess where the photo was taken. (No fair peeking at photo properties!)

Here goes:

(Images restored, again, 07/19/11. -Sky)
Last edited by sky on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Perks
Most Illustrious Grand Member
Most Illustrious Grand Member

Postby Perks » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:09 am

Aw c'mon, the giant chair is a bit of a giveaway, isn't it? :wink:
Andy Perkins, Broker/Owner
Perkins Realty Group

sky

Postby sky » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:11 am

Perks wrote:Aw c'mon, the giant chair is a bit of a giveaway, isn't it? :wink:

Maybe, Perks, but that's why I didn't pull back more and photograph the matching dinette table in this specialty DWR store for large people.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Chair )

deanna b
Modern Master

Postby deanna b » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:23 am

Perks wrote:Aw c'mon, the giant chair is a bit of a giveaway, isn't it? :wink:

If you don't notice the broken leg at first, there's a long tradition of giant chairs. :h:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/CIVIchair.html

(Sorry, I love inexplicably giant roadside objects. Don't mind me, carry on.)

sky

Postby sky » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:31 pm

Anyway, the top photo is from Le Havre, France - the cultural center by Oscar Niemeyer. A surprising number of modern structures there, although I think all post-MCM.

The mod store was in Belfast - I really didn't expect anyone to recognize it.

The Route 66 Coffeeshop was in Amsterdam, near the red light district, I think.

The big silver ball is one molecule (I guess) from the Atomium in Belgium, and truly MCM.

The Broken Chair is in Geneva - in front of the UN building there - you can see the logo in the background. And below it a building by Corbu, which is being renovated. I didn't have much time on my own, but went out the last day in a desperate search for something by Corbu. The bottom photo is of course Jet d'Eau in Geneva. I think it dates way back.

The mountain top one was in the French Alps - the Aiguille du Midi - which I think may be from the mid 50s. The ride up the telepherique is longer than the one to Mt San Jacinto in Palm Springs (going to about 12,600 feet), but it takes two different cable cars to get to the top, and they pack you into them like sardines.

sky

Postby sky » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Not too much MCM this summer, but some modern ...

Almost MCM - 1969, I think ...

Well, this one is MCM ...
Image Image

And these of interest from an Ed Ruscha exhibit at Moderna Museet in Stockholm. There were only a couple of paintings there where photgraphy was prohibited. I'm sure I couldn't have photographed any of them in LA.

(Images restored 07/19/2011 -Sky)
Last edited by sky on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Well, Stockholm was a hint for Scandinavia but I think I had already recognized the first photo which is a newish building in Oslo (a concert hall or art museum?) where those slopes allow you to walk to the rooftop. (Have not been there but read about it.)

I think that the interior windows in rock are the Church of the Rock in Helsinki (Have been there.)

The steel clad curved building -- I thinks that's art museum in one of the Scandinavian capitals but I cannot remember which one without digging into my photo files.
scowsa

sky

Postby sky » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:00 am

The Oslo Opera House is correct, Scowsa. It's very cool walking on those slopes, which have a lot of texture to them. They built a stage in the water in the front of the slope and it was cool to listen to music from there, but the stage really obstructs the view of the building from the street. The only good views are from the water.

The Rock Church in Helsinki is also correct. (It's Finn name is Temppeliaukio.) And the curved building is also in Helsinki - the Museum of Contemporary Art Kiasma.

Very good. Perhaps this is one of your former addresses:

(Image restored 07/19/2011 -Sky)
Last edited by sky on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

scowsa
Modern Guru

Postby scowsa » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Well if you post a Brit front door and it's not 10 Downing Street then it's likely to be 221B Baker Street -- the London residence of the famous literary detective Sherlock Holmes. Just start entering 211B in Google and it's there.

Growing up in Liverpool and (inevitably) being a big music fan the Baker St I was more familiar with was Gerry Rafferty's hit from the 70's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ov78kAMNg
scowsa

sky

Postby sky » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:52 am

Nothing too MCM this summer, but maybe some architecture of interest:

Image Image

And for Joe:

Futura Girl
Lotta Living Hostess
Lotta Living Hostess

Postby Futura Girl » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:32 am

do you go to europe every summer sky?
I'm gonna keep on the run... I'm gonna have me some fun if it costs me my very last dime.
If I wind up broke up, well, I'll always remember that I had a swingin' time

sky

Postby sky » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:35 am

Futura Girl wrote:do you go to europe every summer sky?

Not yet.

Beware the Ides of Nichols!

modfan

The one above the scooter

Postby modfan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Kinda has that look of Gaudi.

I was in Spain in Sept. and saw his works. Wasn't looking for too much MCM, but there was in the larger cities modern circa MCM office buildings.. aka 'edificios' and some World Exhibition sites and some Calatrava structures and such and of course the Guggenheim in Bilbao.
Have a look thru the pics are here:

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/alexeichler/Spain/

sky

Re: The one above the scooter

Postby sky » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:08 pm

modfan wrote:The one above the scooter ... Kinda has that look of Gaudi.

That one is the American embassy in Dublin designed by John MacL Johansen, although I can certainly see the Gaudi in the design too. It's a terrible photo from a moving bus, but here's a better look:
http://archiseek.com/2010/1964-united-s ... ad-dublin/

And since no one is really playing the game, here's the rest from that batch: the top two are Copenhagen. The top one is from Tivoli, but that's an Arne Jacobsen hotel in the distance. The one under it is a library building called the Black Diamond. Below that is a new music center in Kristiansand Norway. The monolith is in Bergen Norway, but I don't know anything about it. The grass roof building is from Torshavn Faroe Islands. The little shack is a fish stand in north Iceland. Then the new music center in Reykjavik. And the crown building is a transportation center on the Isle of Man.

Your Spain album is really good, modfan, but you should break it up a bit, and definitely finish notating everything while it's still fresh in your head. I probably didn't see all the written material, but it's notes like you made on the Cadillac that make the album!

When I saw La Sagrada Familia in 2005, there was so much scaffolding around it, I couldn't get any good photos - I guess it's hard to anyway because the streets aren't very wide there. It looks like they made a lot of progress on it in 6 years - not that they'll ever finish.

modfan

Yep

Postby modfan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:21 am

You're probably right, I did it for other trip pics but not for this and
yup I didn't take the time to describe ea pic. there was a lot these 630 aren't all of them and they sometimes upload outta sequence-well live and learn.
I had some short videos but they upload real real slow if at all. The Sagrada Familia looks mostly done inside, the was a small bit of construction netting way at the top and outside looks they were working on the smaller towers. It's amazing in that most 'ancient' cathedrals seem dark inside and they have to light it up. But this one it was mostly natural light, the lights that were there seemed mostly to highlight some parts of the architecture-some LED's on some columns and around the altar but that was it.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”