Taco Bell founder Glen Bell dies at 86

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Taco Bell founder Glen Bell dies at 86

Postby nichols » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:07 pm

LOS ANGELES TIMES

Glen Bell, founder of Taco Bell, dies at 86
Bell first sold tacos for 19 cents in San Bernardino in 1951, and he built Taco Bell from one Downey stand in 1962 to a $125-million business when he sold it in 1978.

By Myrna Oliver
January 18, 2010 | 12:15 p.m.

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/ ... 9152.story

24x48
Modern Fan

Postby 24x48 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:22 pm

I understand during its earlier years, our office did around a couple dozen or so of the original Taco Bell locations... the drawings are somewhere in our huge storage room!

Thanks,

24x48

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:29 am

Which office do you work for? Store #1 is still standing in Downey.

24x48
Modern Fan

Postby 24x48 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:33 pm

The office was known as Neil Stanton Palmer in those days. I'll need to do some research to find out which locations they were responsible for.

Thanks,

24x48

spaceghost
Modern Fan

Postby spaceghost » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 am

Hah! My first job in an architecture office was at Neil Stanton Palmer. I interned there while in high school. When I say intern I mean organized their catalog library, ran prints (man those fumes and I was yelled at by Neil Palmer for rolling the drawings backwards so they would roll back on themselves when laid out on the table (never made that mistake again), I did a little bit of hatching, poche' and lettering there too. One of the guys who sat upstairs in the loft took a liking to me and told me that he taught hand drafting at Long Beach Community College but what was really coming on the scene was drafting on the computer and his friend taught it so he snuck me into those. That is also the place where I swore I would never drink coffee, every guy there had a mug glued to his hand for what seemed like the whole day.

Return to “Roadside Rambling”