Arby's is Replacing their Original Signage...

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

roadsidepictures
Special Secret Modern Agent

Arby's is Replacing their Original Signage...

Postby roadsidepictures » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:20 am

http://www.starbeacon.com/local/local_story_327233506.html

"HATS OFF TO ARBY’S
Ashtabula says goodbye to vintage sign

By MARGIE TRAX PAGE - Staff Writer - mtrax@starbeacon.com
Star Beacon

ASHTABULA — For decades the larger-than-life, electric cowboy hat towered over Route 20, advertising roast beef sandwiches with a vintage flair.

But the blinking lights on the old-fashioned Arby’s Restaurant sign will blink no more, as workers from the Peskin Sign Co. — which designed that original cowboy hat sign — lowered the neon landmark Monday afternoon.

The sign has drawn customers hungry for Arby’s roast beef lunches and dinners for more than 34 years — ever since the restaurant first opened its doors at West Prospect Road and West Avenue.

Before the restaurant opened in the early spring of 1975, the future employees, including a crew of local high school students, traveled for two months to Meadville, Pa., to train for the job.

The restaurant was an immediate success, later expanding to offer drive-through service.

Sign company employee Richard Cook said he installed the “drive thru” sign himself — 25 years ago.

“This is a great sign,” Cook said. “One of the last of its kind made like this.”

Cook said the crane that lowered the rounded top of the sign was the same crane that put it up. Peskin Sign Co. is the original design company of the Arby’s logo and continues to install new signs for the fast food chain.

“These signs can be dangerous to take down,” he said. “They are heavy, heavy signs, made of old material.”

Cook said the Arby’s company is progressively replacing the old signs with lighter, smaller plastic and aluminum signs.

“The big old signs are costly to maintain,” Cook said. “They have all these light bulbs, all these old electrical connections.”

Cook said sign collectors should take note of the remaining signs, as even the vintage cowboy hat on Mahoning Avenue in Youngstown is coming down next.

Arby's was founded in Youngstown in 1964 by Forrest and Leroy Raffel, owners of a restaurant equipment business. There are 3,688 Arby’s restaurants in the United States and Canada, according to the Arby’s Website.

Cook said he understands why the old signs have to be replaced, but he hopes some collectors take note of the vanishing vintage cowboy hats.

“It hurts my heart a little to take these old signs down,” he said. “I hope there are people out there taking pictures or collecting because once they are gone, they are gone.”

I hope all of their old signs don't come down! Here's one of the three still standing in Las Vegas...

Image[/quote]

Gnomus
Modern Master

Postby Gnomus » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:13 pm

This is the Santa Monica location on Lincoln between Santa Monica Blvd and Arizona. When the city threatened to force this Arby's to conform to the new sign codes, locals successfully petitioned to save the sign.

sky
Space Cadet (over 2001 posts)

Postby sky » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:43 pm

Chipotle Chicken.
Market Fresh Salads.

They probably only keep Roast Beef on the menu because of those signs.

(I always wondered why Carl's Jr dumped their Roast Beef sandwich - the one with the Ortega chili. Suddenly, I have a taste for that.)

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:16 pm

Tell 'em to STOP!

Wendy's/Arby's Group Inc
www.wendysarbys.com
1155 Perimeter Center West
Atlanta, GA 30338-5463
(678) 514-4100

http://www.myarbys.com/ge/Guest1/welcome.aspx

Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:48 am

We're lucky to have 2 Arby's in the Wilmington DE area, where we used to live and both have the signs. The one on Kirkwood highway is a single hat, but Route 202 is lucky enough to have a rare double hat with 2 signs, because the restaurant is in the middle of the north and south lanes. Let's hope they realize what a landmark these signs are!

http://www.RetroRoadmap.com
Your source for Retro, Vintage and Cool Old Places worth visiting!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:07 am

Arby's roast beef fueled my high school sports career! :D
(in Delaware)
I opted to work at the local Tastee Freeze where all the cool kids worked. 8-)

Not sure what it looks like today.

Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap
Modern Socialite

Postby Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:18 pm

Was the Tastee Freeze in Delaware? I can probably tell you what is there now, since I'm pretty sure it's still not there. Unless it's become the Dairy Palace!
http://www.RetroRoadmap.com

Your source for Retro, Vintage and Cool Old Places worth visiting!

rockland
Mondo Lounge Lizard

Postby rockland » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm

It is long gone but i have a vintage photo somewhere...

Return to “Roadside Rambling”