Knott's Berry Farm

TRAVEL TIPS, road trip journey queries, motels, coffee shops, drive-ins, bowling alleys, dinner houses, gas stations, giant objects, signs, theme parks, Disneyland, and roadside sites to see along the way

Moderators: I_LUV_POWER!!!!, Joe, Adriene, moderns-r-us, Tony, Futura Girl, sean, nichols, Java

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Knott's Berry Farm

Postby nichols » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Knott's Preserved
From Boysenberry to Theme Park, the History of Knott’s Berry Farm
by Christopher Merritt and J. Eric Lynxwiler

http://www.angelcitypress.com/knot.html
Last edited by nichols on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nichols
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby nichols » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:53 pm

KPCC

AIRTALK WITH LARRY MANTLE

A history of Knott's Berry Farm, from boysenberry to theme park

http://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/20 ... nberry-to/

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:56 pm

One of the many revelations in this book for me is the page describing the costumed character (a la Disneyland's characters or Magic Mountain's trolls), Whittles (originally named the Old Timer)circa the early '70s. I remember seeing him in a TV ad for Knott's with a voice added. Ever since, I've wondered about this character; he was gone by the time I first visited Knott's in about '74. I even wondered if the character was done expressly for the commercial by Sid & Marty Krofft (being that it spoke in the ad and looked like something they might have done).

Now, thanks to Chris's book, I know the story (see page 144). The character was unpopular and only lasted a year or so. This character was so unpopular--yet here I am, 40 years later, still talking about the commercial he was in.

Another interesting observation about the book: ride designer Bud Hurlbut wanted the "Cavern Room" of the mine train ride to be "just like going to heaven." I find that interesting since so many depictions of Hell have consisted of caves. But I think the feeling of Heaven was achieved--and in a cavern no less!

I'm also amazed at how quickly Bob Gurr, et al were able get Kingdom of the Dinosaurs built!
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

I_LUV_POWER!!!!
Lotta Living Host
Lotta Living Host

Postby I_LUV_POWER!!!! » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:52 pm

The book has a Facebook page. There's a lot of info. and pix there. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Knotts-P ... 21?fref=ts
"If we cannot imagine utopia--if we do not involve ourselves in imagining it--we are certain not to realize it." -- Judith Lewis, LA Weekly, September, 2002

Return to “Roadside Rambling”